Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 8th, 2016 03:00

Dell XPS 15 - Built in Battery, "plugged in but not charged", battery disabled

Hi,

I am writing this as I have hopelessly tried all methods found online without success.

I have an XPS 15 bought in France. I move to Singapore and my original DELL AC adapter was spoiled. So I went to the nearest store and bought a third party adapter. Everything works out fine for a while... Now, my laptop won't charge anymore (stuck at 90%). 

My laptop only turn on if it is plugged under ac adapter. When I unplug the ac adapter, my laptop turn off.

When I turn on my laptop it says "this battery charging is temporarily disabled, press F2 for entering BIOS Menu". 
In BIOS, under battery health it is said "this battery is temporarily disabled, please turn off the computer and try again when the unit is back to operational temperature" 
I have this problem systematically, my laptop is not heated.

I even bring it to a repair shop here in Singapore; but they do not even have the parts to test. 

Please help. 

I am willing to buy a new battery or new adapter, but I am not even sure if that's the problem.

Thank you

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

May 8th, 2016 13:00

:emotion-2:

Please list exact Dell model and version of windows. Example: Dell XPS 9550, windows 10

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

May 8th, 2016 13:00

The battery is dead or cannot use the adapter you bought.. Remove it and use the adapter alone. If that works--which might be a problem since dell computers normally need dell adapters-- use it that way until you can replace the battery. If it doesn't work, consider a dell battery and adapter or buy a new computer if the cost of those is almost more than the cost of a new computer.

May 8th, 2016 23:00

Hi, My DELL is XPS 15 9530, under windows 8 x64

Any glue?

May 8th, 2016 23:00

Hi. Thanks for sharing this tip. I read about this one online but I cannot because the battery is built-in. Should I still try to remove the screw myself to remove the battery?
Apart from this problem, my laptop is functioning just fine. 

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

May 9th, 2016 10:00

" Hi, My DELL is XPS 15 9530, under windows 8 x64 "

You can check Battery Meter on the system, hopefully there's an option to "Turn Off Battery Charging" as picture below. If there's an check mark then uncheck it and restart computer.

1) Right click the battery icon on the Taskbar or type Power Options onto the search box

I also like to suggest checking the AC adapter. In the BIOS, look under the main screen and look for AC adapter type. If the adapter says Unknown or None then it's a problem with adapter.

May 10th, 2016 06:00

Hi,

i dont have that options. Please see screen below.

When i enter BIOS, This is what appear.

Any glue, please?? 

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

May 10th, 2016 09:00

Please disconnect the AC adapter from computer and go back to Battery Meter. Uncheck Enable Dell Extended Battery Life,click Apply, and then OK. Restart  the system and check to see if settings were saved. Hopefully the battery charging is enable now.

May 10th, 2016 20:00

LSUFAN51,

If I disconnect the AC Adapter, my laptop turn off. It only work when the AC adaptor is plugged in.
Thanks for your help.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

May 10th, 2016 23:00

You can keep AC adapter connected to the system and still uncheck the box as I've suggested. After you have restarted the system and the battery still isn't charging then I suggest you remove the battery from the computer.

1. Power off and disconnect all peripherals from computer

2. Remove AC adapter from computer, and then battery

3. Press "Power button" for 15 seconds then release

4. Place battery back into computer, AC adapter, and then power on system. Hopefully your battery is enable now.

Here's your XPS 15 9530 Owner's Manual - Page 16

May 12th, 2016 07:00

Hi,

I couldnt find the tiny star screwdriver so I end up dropping it at the repair shop for 100$ consultation.

Initial feedback is that it s not a battery problem, but may be something wrong with the motherboard or the the charging chip. Will update when the final outcome comes out in case someone else is having the same problem as me.

Thanks a lot, LSUFAN51. 

6 Posts

May 12th, 2016 07:00

I had the same issue with a XPS 15 9530, DELL replaced the AC Adapter and it did resolve the issue for a short time, later the Motherboard was replaced and now it fails to power on at all.  Frankly I think there is a serious issue with this model laptop.  While DELL support has done everything they can to try and resolve the multiple issues, I know that I for one will never again buy a DELL product.

May 12th, 2016 17:00

Mcarthurdw,

I fully agree with you. this is my first time and last time using dell. I do not want to let go of my current laptop because when i bought it i choose all the best options (memory, graphic, ect) but keeping it working is a nightmare.

Can you share more on what happen after you change your motherboard? the technicians will probably call me back again today to give me the repair quote. If I pay for it, i dont want it to work for few months and then die out again. Thanks.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

May 13th, 2016 08:00

" Will update when the final outcome comes out in case someone else is having the same problem as me "

I'm looking forward to the update.Hopefully your problem with the system is fix in the near future.Thanks for the feedback.

May 16th, 2016 18:00

Hi All, 

The repair shop quote me 500$ for repairing:

- input / output charger
- I/C converter
- The battery is unstable but ok.

I didn't get it repaired since my laptop is 3 years old this year, so, I dont think it's worth it.
According to one of my expert IT colleague, XPS is quite a difficult model to fix as the part are so small so in general if the I/O for example is damaged they have to change the entire motherboard.

Hope this helps anyone who is having the same problem.

No Events found!