Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 12th, 2012 17:00

Dell XPS 15 Charging Issue

Hi there! I have a near-year-old Dell XPS 15 L502X laptop which has been giving me grief over the past few months, namely in the form of a 9-cell battery that gives a "plugged in, not charging" string of errors. (Also, I'm running Windows 7)

Here are the issues I'm encountering:

(1) Upon startup, in white text on a black screen (appears after the loading screen with Dell logo, prior to Windows starting up screen):
"The AC power adapter wattage and type cannot be determined.
The battery may not charge.
The system will adjust the performance to match the power available.
Please connect a Dell 130W AC adapter or greater for the best system performance.
Strike the F3 key (before F1 or F2 key) if you do not want to see power warning message again.
Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility."

(2) Upon login, in a warning notification box from "Quickset"
"The AC power adapter type cannot be determined. Your system will operate slower and battery will not charge. This problem might be solved by:
-Ensure the plug is inserted completely for best system operation.
-Connect a Dell 130W AC adapter or higher."

(3) When mousing over the battery icon:
"xx% available (plugged in, not charging)" where xx is a number depicted percentage battery remaining

(4) Dell "Battery Meter" information box (accessed via battery icon->more power options->Dell battery meter (left hand link))
"Battery Charging Disabled"

(5) BIOS (F2 setup utility) information
"AC adapter type: unknown" -- Accessed on the "Main" tab
"Adapter warnings: [Enabled]" -- Accessed on the "Advanced" tab
"Charger Behavior: [Enabled]" -- Accessed on the "Advanced" tab

Here is some information regarding my (unsuccessful) attempts to resolve the issue:

(1) BIOS have been updated to A11 (latest version).
(2) Laptop runs on battery alone, charger alone, and with both at the same time.
(3) Battery and charger are both the ones received new from my purchase from Dell.
(4) Cables appear to be in good condition, and are firmly seated.
(5) Dell Quickset was uninstalled and a fresh new version downloaded and re-installed.
(6) In the Device Manager, underneath "Batteries", the "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery" has
been uninstalled, reinstalled,
enabled, and disabled multiple times (including different times with varied restarts).
(7) One system of steps to solve the issue I attempted, and had success with once (but failed to work the past few times implemented) was:
- Disconnect the AC
- Shutdown the computer
- Remove the battery
- Reconnect the AC
- Startup the computer
- Uninstall the ACPI-Compliant Control as listed in (6)
- Shutdown the computer
- Disconnect the AC
- Insert the battery
- Connect the AC

At this point, I'm at a loss as to how to resolve this problem without buying replacement hardware, which I would really like to avoid. I've furiously searched through multiple forums of "solutions," but haven't been able to find one that completely resolves the issue. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, and have a fantastic day!

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

September 12th, 2012 17:00

If it's less than a year old, call Dell - they'll send a replacement adapter first.  IF that doesn't solve the problem, the system needs an internal repair.

1 Message

November 9th, 2012 14:00

I had the same problem with my less than a year old XPS 15 plus the USP2 ports quit working. Dell replaced the motherboard and the power adapter. After this event I purchased an extended warranty. Good thing I did because 7 months later the problem has occurred again. The Dell tech took me through the steps you described above to no avail and now Dell will again be sending a technician out to replace the motherboard and power adapter--again. 

What's with this??

1 Message

February 17th, 2013 03:00

I will never buy another Dell. This is my first, and I, and thousands of other people, have had the same problem with the adapter and/or battery and/or motherboard. Five months into ownership, I occasionally started getting "the ac power adapter type cannot be determined" message. Now that my one year warranty has expired, it's rare I can get a charge. I've run BIOS and attempted the usual fixes.

I'm annoyed, but for Dell to admit error, would of course cost them millions of dollars. From reading postings, I'm wondering if any Dell computers don't experience this problem.

2 Posts

May 21st, 2013 17:00

the same problem here, warranty expired January 2013, CSR asked me for 69$ charge to reboot and troubleshoot online, I declined and asked to speak to a Manager then he said that they will do it for free but it didn't work. another guy spoke to me and said that I have to send the laptop as it could be motherboard issue and the chare will be 299$ I declined and showed my frustration but he didn't care.

my last time ever to buy anything from Dell

it seems this is how they make money

internet is loaded with frustrated customers who are experiencing same problem

I have and old 2006 Toshiba working flawlesly with no single issue

I got the lesson and am done with Dell

June 6th, 2013 19:00

One more thing. Nvidia Card keep freezing the laptop about 9 months ago when I played some games. I had to disable it and use the built-in Intel Graphic instead. You drive me crazy again and again DELL.

June 6th, 2013 19:00

Me too, I am done with DELL. Your product is pathetic full of faulties of disgraced QA. Everything just felt apart after the 1st year.

I have a XPS l502x and it is 2 week from warranty length. And BOOM, battery not charging, BIOS does not see Adapter. I tried everything and none works. Basically my $1000 supposed-to-be-state-of-art laptop is now no better than a paperweight.

Face it DELL, the forum is loaded with people with exact problem. This is your fault systematically. Try to google "XPS l502x charger issue" you are gonna see billion of hits. I wish I could have done a better research before I spent money on your crappy product. Bye bye DELL and never again.

1 Message

February 7th, 2014 19:00

I too am having this problem with the charger - it's one of a string of problems with the XPS-15 L502x. I've been buying Dell products for more than a decade, but I can't afford to throw money away on computers. They have lost me, too.

No Events found!