Dell_Owner89
1 Copper

Dell XPS 15 (L501X) issues

Hello everyone,

I have a Dell XPS 15 which was bought direct from Dell in early 2011, which has worked for me without a hitch until very recently. Approximately a week ago, it developed an issue whereby after several hours of operation it would put itself to sleep (as indicated by the glowing XPS logo on the back of the unit). At the first attempt to turn it back on, it would come back on only to immediately suspend. The next attempt and it would again startup but then shut down.

I initially thought that it may have been a heat issue, but I monitored the reported temperatures from the heat sensors, and they were all well within the normal operating range for this laptop. I also established that it was not a result of any settings in Windows. (My OS is Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit).

At any rate, starting more recently, the unit began not turning on. This is on AC power, battery power, and a combination of the two. However, it would always start on the second or third attempt. I ran a self test (through the F12 options in the BIOS earlier) and the only error returned was a 2000-0146 relating to the hard drive, which I attempted to investigate. At any rate, SMART data for the HDD suggested the state was ¨Good¨.

However, starting today, the unit will begin to turn on, however, around halfway through the POST screen with the Dell logo, it will simply power off before getting any further. I have attempted to start it several more times to ascertain the nature of the problem, and out of ten attempts, not one progressed any further.

I hope that I have provided another details!

Best wishes,

Dominic (Dell_Owner89)

0 Kudos
9 Replies

Re: Dell XPS 15 (L501X) issues

Hi Dominic,

Welcome to Dell Community Forum.

If the lights turn on for a few seconds and the Dell Logo flashes before the notebook turns off, please run a diagnostic test.

Follow the instructions below:

• Turn off the computer.
  • Power it on.
  • Immediately at the Dell logo screen, starting tapping the <F12> key once a second until the One Time Boot menu appears.
  • At the One Time Boot menu, press the <Down> arrow key to highlight Diagnostics,PSA+ or Enter ePSA, then press <Enter> to begin the PSA Diagnostic Test

Additionally, you can click on the links below for troubleshooting NO POST issues:

Notebooks Cannot Complete Power On Self Test (POST):  http://dell.to/19a4rwe

Manuals and Documents for XPS 15 (L501x): http://dell.to/14flX0o 

(The link for manuals will help you with  guided instructions for removing parts like the hard drive, memory, etc.)  Please read the "Before You Begin" section prior to removing any parts from your computer. Dis-assemble the system chassis only if you are comfortable doing so.

Hope the steps in the links above help determine the exact point of failure.

Please reply with test results so that we are able to assist you further.

Thanks and regards,
Babita S
#iworkforDell 

For easy access to drivers, manuals and product updates, please visit our Support Site .

0 Kudos
Dell_Owner89
1 Copper

Hi Babita,

Thank you for your quick reply, even pressing the F12 button immediately (and the option becoming highlighted) it still powers down again before the Dell logo post seems to have completed. So I´m afraid that that isn´t really an option.

I will of course look again at the documents that you sent me.

Best wishes,

-Dominic

0 Kudos
Robin3
3 Argentium

Your HDD is failing....back up your data ASAP and replace the HDD.

Robin

0 Kudos
Dell_Owner89
1 Copper

That´s what I though thanks, Paul. But the fact that it won´t even complete POST or go to diagnostics seems to suggest that it´s something more integral, perhaps even the mother board. I can´t use the system as it is, so I plan to see what Dell have to say, then backup, see to the system itself.

Best wishes,

-Dominic

0 Kudos

Hi Dominic,

Thank you for your reply.

If the system does not perform a Power-On Self-Test, there are various things to look for:

• Check that the system has a power light. Is it off, steady white or breathing white?
  • If the system has no power light, ensure it is plugged into AC power. Remove the battery.
  • With the power off and the system unplugged, remove all CRUs from the system and reconnect the AC adapter to the system and try again.
  • Run the On Board Diagnostics (OBD).

CRUs (customer-replaceable units) on your computer would include the optical drive, memory, battery, AC Adapter, Dummy Card and WLAN.  The hard drive is a field-replaceable unit on this computer. If there are any external devices connected, please remove them as well and then try powering on the system.

The link below has a list of devices which need to be removed in order to proceed with the next step. How to remove the CRUs can be checked from the Manual.

Notebooks Cannot Complete Power On Self Test (POST):  http://dell.to/19a4rwe

Please keep us posted on the results.

Thanks and regards,
Babita S
#iworkforDell 

For easy access to drivers, manuals and product updates, please visit our Support Site .

0 Kudos
Dell_Owner89
1 Copper

Hello again Babita,

I removed the optical drive, memory and WLAN card and tried to start the unit. When AC power is plugged in, the unit turns on immediately, without waiting for the power button to be pressed, makes the usual noises (whirring of fans etcSmiley Wink which lasts for a couple of seconds before stopping and the power light going out again. That was on AC power only (no battery), on battery alone the unit will not ever whirr, on battery and AC the charging light comes on but that´s it. I should say that the button on the battery yields five illuminated dots on the battery, so I doubt that the issue is related to the battery.

Thanks again for your help,

-Dominic

0 Kudos

Hi Dominic,

With reference to the Battery LED indicators, if  no lights appear, the battery is in good condition and approximately more than 80 percent of its original charge capacity remains. Each light represents incremental degradation. If five lights appear on the battery LED indicator, approximately less than 60 percent of the charge capacity remains, and you should consider replacing the battery. Please run the diagnostics on your computer to determine if there are any other issues with your system.

Click on the link below for running diagnostics on your computer:

http://dell.to/11NpLCy

For Laptop Battery FAQs: http://dell.to/16YQ5jI

Please keep us posted on the results so that we may help you further.

Thanks and regards,
Babita S
#iworkforDell 

0 Kudos
Dell_Owner89
1 Copper

I am afraid that, as I´ve said, the issues occur whether on AC or battery power or even a combination of the two. Likewise, as I have said before, I am also unable to run any diagnostics as the system is not operational long enough for me to run the diagnostic tests.

Nevertheless, thank you for your reply.

-Dominic

0 Kudos

Hi Dominic,

If the system is under warranty, please contact me through a private message by clicking on my name highlighted in blue. On the next page, click the envelope icon and provide your service tag and contact information (as mentioned below) so that I may access your system records.

• System Service Tag No.:
  • Registered System Owner's Name:
  • Shipping address:
  • Telephone number/s:
  • Email address:

However, if the system is out of warranty, then you may contact our Expired Warranty Support, information for which is available by clicking on the link below:

http://dell.to/12LmNBq

Please feel free to contact us in case of further queries.

Thanks and regards,
Babita S
#iworkforDell 

0 Kudos