DELL-Terry B
2 Iron

Re: Dell XPS 15-L502X Hardware/Video card Problem.

Jump to solution

J_Wise and APPLEMOOSEKING

I am sorry to read that you are having these problems. How often does this happen? If this happens when playing games what games have you tried?  Have you noticed this happening when not playing games? Have you noticed this happening while using AC adapter or only battery?

The first thing that I suggest is uninstalling the video driver and installing the latest Dell driver. You can find the Dell driver from your system on the following link. Download the driver and save it to the desktop, don't run it yet. Then return to device manager and uninstall the Nvidia driver.  Don’t restart the system when prompted, simply shut the system down the normal way. Start the system back up while tapping F8; choose Low Resolution Mode from the menu and log on to Windows. Then double-click the saved downloaded driver to run it.

www.dell.com/.../xps-l502x

After that I do suggest gaming while using the AC adapter when possible.  Please also configure the Optimus profiles for the games to run under high performance.

Assigning an application or program to the Graphics Processor

Open the NVIDIA Control Panel

* Select Manage 3D Settings

* Click on the Program Settings tab

* In 1: Select a program to customize, click on Add

* Browse to the application/game and open the executable file by clicking Open

* In 2: Select the preferred graphics processor for this program, click on the tab and select High Performance NVIDIA processor

* Click on Apply and the settings will be saved

For more on Optimus please check out the following document.

en.community.dell.com/.../19405027.aspx

I hope that this helps.

TB

Specialize in Laptops, Mobile Devices
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
APPLEMOOSEKING
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

I only encounter these freezing issues when I play games. the games that i play are: Shogun 2 Total War, Garry's Mod, Counter-Strike Global Offensive, Counter-Strike Source, Just Cause 2, Team Fortress 2, Arma 2, Portal 2 and Minecraft. Also I always have the laptop plugged in to the power because the battery life is so low when playing games. I havn't yet got round to trying your possible solution yet. But I will do eventually!

0 Kudos
DELL-Terry B
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Please do try setting up profiles for the games in nvidia control panel and let me know if they help.

TB

Specialize in Laptops, Mobile Devices
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
APPLEMOOSEKING
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

I have finally got round to trying your possible solution, but unfortunately my pc still freezes 😕

0 Kudos
RedRocketRider
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Terry.  I have a similar problem and wonder if you can give me some guidence.  I went through all the tests and downloaded all updates to drivers.  Did NOT do a BIOS update yet.  I also reinstalled Windows 7.  Basically after about 5 minutes after power up I get the "Wait" circle and it never goes away.  Video is good but I can't do anything.  The odd part is that if I boot up in Safe Mode I can use the computer all day long with no problems.  Never do I get the "Wait" circle.  Send me a email if you have any suggestions <ADMIN NOTE: Email id removed per privacy policy>

0 Kudos
maxims45
2 Bronze

RE: Dell XPS 15-L502X Hardware/Video card Problem.

Jump to solution

Hey, while waiting for the replacement m6600 (http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3519/t/19529912.aspx) I've got XPS 13. Same thing, screen goes black lines as a bad TV. So far happened 3-4 times during the last week. Most of the times it was while connecting to an external monitor via display port and several time on the plane. Updated drivers... seems like a hardware issue.

0 Kudos
2Cardinal
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I have the same problem, however mine only happens when I startup on battery  I have dell xps 15z with nvidia geforce. When I restart when power plug is connected. No problems. Should I be worried? How do I resolve said issues?  Thanks, Jim. 

0 Kudos
Kanga1
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi 2Cardinal

I know it has been over a year since your post but I was interested to know if your issue was resolved.  I had happily used my XPS 15z for a year or two before it apparently needed a new hard drive, was still working but diagnostics said it was stuffed and could fail at any time.  Dell tech came out and installed new HDD and I think a new WIFI card, got Windows 7 up and running then left me to reinstall the rest.  Like you, I have nvidia geforce in my 15Z.  As the battery was getting a bit old, I tend to use it predominantly while plugged in to the power.  When using it on battery only, I get the screen intermittently freaking out.  It doesn't happen when plugged in to the power and it doesn't happen if I use my TV as an external monitor.  It only happens when using battery power and only once signed in to windows (not while on the sign in page).  Originally I thought it was related to a loose connection because it only happened after the tech had opened up the back to install the new hard drive.  So I got a new battery and checked the connections when I was in there installing the new battery but I couldn't spot anything and it's still doing it.

0 Kudos