Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 5th, 2011 03:00

Dell XPS 15 (L502X) crashes during gameplay

Hello, so I bought a Dell XPS 15 (L502X) laptop 2 weeks ago and have found a lot of trouble with it. It is an i7, 8gb ram with the nvidia 540m video card.

I have tried 3 different games, Left 4 Dead, League of Legends and Dragon Nest, and it crashes/freezes in all 3 games. You are able to run the game in high graphics however, it will crash in a shorter amount of time. If you put it on lowest quality, it still crashes, but it tends to take a longer time.

I have looked all over the internet and found many others that have the same exact issue with the same exact laptop and specs. There is not one thread out there that has provided a solution to this problem.

Things that I have tried.

- Old Drivers, New drivers, drivers from the dell site, drivers from nvidia, beta drivers

- driver sweeper

- changing the gpu to nvidia high performance instead of integrated graphics for the different games and programs

- changing the physx hardware to nvidia 540m

- set battery to high performance

- dell tech support, all they did was change integrated to nvidia high performance and change one setting in hopes of fixing the issue as well as using the system scan for issues, the report came back as passed and no issues.

And today while I was messing around with the settings, I have found a mediocre alternative to this problem. If you simply never use the nvidia GPU then there will never be a crash. You simply do everything  with your integrated card. You will be able to run a game like League of Legends on Normal settings at best. However if you do this, it is as if you wasted all your money to get the nvidia 540m that simply does not work.

I want to work with dell and not have to do anything to drastic and simply fix it on my own, but I have tried all these things and I am sure none of them work. The people on Nvidia forums simply turn a blind eye to this issue. I sounds as if this issue is common, but also a hit and miss since there are some owners that do not have this problem. If anyone has found a solution or can recommend me as to what I should do, please help.

If I have to, is it possible to simply send this entire laptop back to Dell and have them fix it or simply replace the Nvidia 540m with one that works.

January 26th, 2013 11:00

@iron-ManL502x

well, the modded bios fixes the crashes, or in some cases tit just reduces the amount of times it happen.

for specific issues with the modded bios, you should post at the other topic.

anyway are you sure you flashed the proper bios mod for your system?

January 27th, 2013 18:00

yes gt540m A11 with 0,83v and 0,85v mod well today it didn't crash i just lowered the graphics to medium

edit* yesterday i used evga precision to show the voltage in my screen while i was playing and it pops to 1v to start the game or load something and after it goes to 0,85v akward :o

June 28th, 2013 23:00

this is completely ridiculous! exactly the same problem. i'll never buy or recommend a dell ever! sorry guys, they cheated us, that is called stealing. <ADMIN NOTE: Substitute character removed as per TOU> DELL! ill make my own desktop computer...

2 Posts

July 17th, 2013 22:00

hi im bunder2

i have similar problem with this thread, everytime i playing dragon nest games, im getting freeze with stuter sound come from speaker. probably my experience solved problem will help you all who get same crash

first try to play your game without plug your adapter, use high nvidia driver, if there isn't problem when playing without adapter and just use battery, that means some power plan make laptop crash.

i was try this in my  dell xps l502x, when im play game with high use graphics in battery mode im not getting any freeze, but if im plug my adapter i get freeze after sometime. so im just think that my power plan is screwed.

im change some power plan same with my battery mode status : first click battery icon and click "more power option" after that click "change advance option" after that look at Wireless Adapter Setting - Power Saving Mode - Plugged change to "Medium Power Saving" and second change PCIE - Link State Power Management - Plugged in change to "Maximum Power Saving"

i hope this will help who get freeze at games like me :D

2 Posts

September 25th, 2013 07:00

Hi mate,

I have a similar problem. For my case, it was perfect when I bought it and then suddenly this problem showed up. Games that I had played without problem previously do not run now.

22 Posts

August 18th, 2014 10:00

Indeed you are correct.

In my case, I had my motherboard replaced by Dell which temporarily solved the problem but the problem came back which meant I had to lower my graphics clock.

Upon lowering my clock speeds the graphics would be stable for a couple of weeks, then the crashing would start again which mean me having to lower the speeds again in increments of 50 each time.

At the moment, my processor clock is at 900 MHz (down from the original 1344 MHz ) and my memory clock remains at the default 900 MHz as altering this doesn't seem to affect the crashing. It's been about 2-3 weeks since I had to lower it from 950 MHz and I will no doubt have to do the same thing again and again until the GPU will be running too slow to make use of.

Dell customer support would not help me the second time around. After many hours on the phone they said that the laptop wasn't made for gaming, that I should use Intel integrated graphics instead and eventually my warranty expired.

2 Posts

August 19th, 2014 10:00

Hi,

I have the same issue with this laptop, i'm already underclocked my GPU but the problem still happening, it takes more time but still crashing, got any other solution?

August 26th, 2014 13:00

I HAVE FOUND THE SOLUTION!!! It is not our graphic cards thats malfunctioning, i have been able to fix it and played games for 2 weeks now with no freeze or nothing. the first thing i did was put an SSD inside, HOWEVER, i do NOT think that neccessary, just trying the following.

Click on battery > More Power Options > Balanced (Recommended) > Change Plan Settings> Change advanced power settings>  and here is the problem. ( Make sure your computer is always on balanced from now on). 

1. Wireless adapter settings > Power saving mode > put both battery & plugged in on Medium.

2. Intel (R) Graphics Settings > Intel(R) Graphic Power plan > put both battery & plugged in on Balanced.

3. PCI Express > Link stage power management > put both battery & plugged in on Maximum Power Saving. 

After i did these changes the computer never froze while plugged in ever again. I think the problem must've been something with the power coming in and over-working the computer for no reason. doing these changes and your fan is much more quiet + never freezes. Try it out you might be just as shocked as me!!! 

{ { { { { { { { { { { { { { { { { THIS WORKS PLEASE TRY IT }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Your welcome :) 

22 Posts

Thanks for the information which you have provided, however upon testing your suggestion at the default clock frequency my L502X crashed immediately upon rendering 3D graphics (I also use an SSD).

Any future suggestions or discoveries are appreciated.

Thanks

23 Posts

That's the same thing as underclocking and undervolting bro.

2 Posts

August 26th, 2014 15:00

Thanks for the reply bud, but it didn't worked for me. :/

2 Posts

October 1st, 2014 15:00

Im having exact same problem as everyone mentioned above and trust me.. I have done some serious hours of reinstalling windows and drivers and it won't make any difference.. not even when I install another OS.

As far as I know.. there is 2 camps of "solving" the issue.. I have no idea if this solution is valid for everyone's problem but this is my take.

Some recommend undervolting the GPU to lower the heat generation but I think this is a way of "cure" the symptoms.

Some recommend to buy a new AC Adapter and I think this is the solution and it make sense. At least for me. Ive had my XPS for 3 years and the AC Adapter wears out in time. If it can't deliver steady voltage anymore and when I start a game, I get BSOD... make sense. 

For people undervolting and get a positive result might be overlooking the potential solution of changing to a fresh adapter. undervolting might just be enough for the AC Adapter to be able to deliver enough power so the user think its the solution. And as for people having this issue since delivery.. what if the AC Adapter was the problem to start with.

Anyways... I just figured it out today when I unplugged my AC Adapter and ran a game run on battery and it works fine.. for a long time... As soon as I plug the AC Adapter in, it crashes after a short while.

The AC Adapter is getting more noisy.. there is a slight buzz sound when I get close to it. It was not like that before...

It would be nice if DELL could do some internal tests so they could provide a solution to this issue if this is the case... My bet is uneven quality of AC Adapters...

(sorry for my bad English.. I'll report when I get a new adapter)

5 Posts

October 2nd, 2014 00:00

buying a new adapted is wasting your money

do as we have been doing or buy a better laptop, dell not recommended.

2 Posts

October 2nd, 2014 01:00

tried flashing with the modded bios.. didn't work.

anyways.. everything else have been working fine. this laptop have served me well past 3 years. 

Im going to buy a 3rd party adapter tho... the "original" from china is not how I want to spend $100

2 Posts

December 5th, 2014 02:00

i was try that solution and i think it's work. i can play my games without error . i think this is a solution for now cause if i play with factory clock, i keep getting crash. i dunno what happened but i hope this work for you too

No Events found!