RE: Dell XPS 15 (L502X) crashes during gameplay

Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply bud, but it didn't worked for me. 😕

0 Kudos
Linuz_Nova
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Im having exact same problem as everyone mentioned above and trust me.. I have done some serious hours of reinstalling windows and drivers and it won't make any difference.. not even when I install another OS.

As far as I know.. there is 2 camps of "solving" the issue.. I have no idea if this solution is valid for everyone's problem but this is my take.

Some recommend undervolting the GPU to lower the heat generation but I think this is a way of "cure" the symptoms.

Some recommend to buy a new AC Adapter and I think this is the solution and it make sense. At least for me. Ive had my XPS for 3 years and the AC Adapter wears out in time. If it can't deliver steady voltage anymore and when I start a game, I get BSOD... make sense. 

For people undervolting and get a positive result might be overlooking the potential solution of changing to a fresh adapter. undervolting might just be enough for the AC Adapter to be able to deliver enough power so the user think its the solution. And as for people having this issue since delivery.. what if the AC Adapter was the problem to start with.

Anyways... I just figured it out today when I unplugged my AC Adapter and ran a game run on battery and it works fine.. for a long time... As soon as I plug the AC Adapter in, it crashes after a short while.

The AC Adapter is getting more noisy.. there is a slight buzz sound when I get close to it. It was not like that before...

It would be nice if DELL could do some internal tests so they could provide a solution to this issue if this is the case... My bet is uneven quality of AC Adapters...

(sorry for my bad English.. I'll report when I get a new adapter)

0 Kudos
fadi alkam
1 Copper

Jump to solution

buying a new adapted is wasting your money

do as we have been doing or buy a better laptop, dell not recommended.

0 Kudos
Linuz_Nova
1 Copper

Jump to solution

tried flashing with the modded bios.. didn't work.

anyways.. everything else have been working fine. this laptop have served me well past 3 years. 

Im going to buy a 3rd party adapter tho... the "original" from china is not how I want to spend $100

0 Kudos
Highlighted
saulmx
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi! I have the same problem (XPS15, core i5, nvidia 540m, 4 Gb RAM)

As  mentioned before, I played without adapter conected and works fine.

Then i tried the solution proposed by  consisting change core and memory clock values (core clock: from 672 to 587; memory clock: from 900 to 785). And works great!

I´ve applied settings with Afterburner app from MSI (event.msi.com/.../download.htm) I'ts easy and finally was able to play.

Regards!

0 Kudos
cobunder2
1 Copper

Jump to solution

i was try that solution and i think it's work. i can play my games without error . i think this is a solution for now cause if i play with factory clock, i keep getting crash. i dunno what happened but i hope this work for you too

0 Kudos
fadi alkam
1 Copper

Jump to solution

The reason why there is no crash when you unplug the power supply is because the graphics goes into the lowest configuration when on battery, which is not the best thing to do, play with power on but modify the clock as mentioned, this is the second best solution, best solution is to buy a new laptop...

0 Kudos
syferpunk
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hello Raion,

I have the exact same problems for the last 2 years. My machine is: i7-2670QM,1TB HDD, 8GB, 540GT from 2012 i think.

It's a fully capable machine of playing almost all modern games in mid set or lower incl. NBA2K15, Watch Dogs, Tomb Raider, MoW:AS2, FIFA 15 etc. - I mean the graphic card is pretty good for average gaming. Only thing is after several minutes it gets this error message: Display Driver stopped working and has recovered..or something, atm I'm on that machine..

I have come to the conclusion, after read many threats about this models faulty design etc.

I really like my XPS and I'm thinking about a newer XPS model sooner..But if Dell keep producing such faulty hardwares and can't find a solution for it it's not worth it. Many customers will be forced to go for a Mac or elsewhere.

Did you find the best solution yet? Changing the GPU or Motherboard and Heatsink, fan etc. just doesn't make sense if the problem may still be there.

So guys can you help me and others out? What exactly did you do and what configs did u make in Under-,overclocking and volting?

Thanks,

PS: I'll try myself as well and will post again if I find the best solution without spending much money on changing parts.

0 Kudos
syferpunk
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Exactly, for example COD series, Mafia 2 etc. all worked fine before.

0 Kudos
Adam Hosein
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Guy, this is important to check out this thread that was posted on NVIDIA site:

devtalk.nvidia.com/.../-quot-display-driver-stopped-responding-and-has-recovered-quot-wddm-timeout-d...

It shows faults that isn't really Dells fault, it shows fault with the design of the GPU, Kernels and badly made drivers. I am going to try and disable NVIDIA PhysX and see how that aids in my experience. It was mentioned that PhysX created a backup of CUDA data processing which causes a hang and freezes the computer.

0 Kudos