Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 21st, 2015 21:00

Dell XPS 15 (Model 9550) touch screen no longer working.

I got my laptop just a few weeks ago, and it came with Windows 10.  Soon afterwards the touch screen started not working, very similar to the posts about the USB device being powered down to save battery (you can find those posts, from Dec 2013 else on this site).

However, I'm on Windows10, with the recent large November public update applied.  In device manager there is no 'USB Input Device' listed under Human Interface Devices.

Further: the System's Settings->About panel the OS is reporting under "Pen and Touch" that "No pen or touch input is available for this display".

So, beyond USB power settings, it seems like I'm completely missing the device driver for the touch screen.

I have applied every driver, bios & firmware update that I can find on the Dell support site.  Nothing fixed things.

Any hints?  Am I looking for a display driver or an input driver or something else?

Thanks!

Dave.

2 Posts

November 24th, 2015 04:00

Same problem here, plus I see an “Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)” in my device manager constantly appearing and disappearing. Also the touch does not work in the Diagnostic application you can enter via the bios. I don’t know if it should work there, on the 9530 Model it did…

I have the device now for about a week and I think Dell should again be deeply ashamed of what they deliver to their loyal customers.

With the 9530 model they refused to repair the coil whine problem a lot of people complained about. This was really annoying but at least I could work with the device.

The 9550 model has not two issues which really prevent me from doing my work.

1. As soon as you activate hyper-v the screen starts flickering and the display driver starts crashing.

2. Touchscreen not working.

We are talking about really expensive hardware here and it’s extremely frustrating when you experience more troubles with a 2.500$ Notebook than you do with 500$ hardware.

And on top of it all they told me today that they could not replace my display because Dell has no replacement parts on stock and they don’t know when they will get them. And that’s exactly what you get when you pay for “Next-Business-Day” “Pro” support.

If the device does not work at the end of the week I will send it back.

November 24th, 2015 12:00

Also having the same problem exactly as described, also looking for a fix.

The device I am having this problem on was actually a replacement for another Dell XPS 15 9550 that had coil whine, same model though. I looked through the drivers on the xps 15 that has a working touchscreen, and have found that under HID, there is a listing for "HID-compliant touch screen." On the non-working touchscreen, this entry is completely missing under HID and is replaced by the "USB not found" message as described above.

I tested this on different bioses to see if that was the problem, nothing has helped. Also, all drivers and chipsets are also up to date. Sadly when I got this I set it up, then tried to use the touch screen only to find out it wasn't working. So, I don't exactly know when this occurred.

Wondering what the next step will be. Hopefully Dell can figure something out for us! Really not looking forward to a third return!

November 28th, 2015 14:00

This post is almost a week old. Is there anyone from Dell that would please look into this for us?

December 6th, 2015 18:00

Looks like I'll be starting return round 2

2 Posts

December 6th, 2015 20:00

I am holding out hope that it is a software / driver issue that can be fixed.  But, at some point I'll need to return mine too :(

December 18th, 2015 13:00

Still trying to return! The last two returns I have had have been more defective that the one who's touchscreen isn't working. I've been returning at Microsoft. Honestly, this is just pathetic. All 4 machines I've seen have had some defect. May just return it for good and buy something else.

By the way, it's also a complete joke that Dell employees have purposely not commented on this post. The worst customer service I have ever seen. Anyone here found a fix?

19 Posts

January 5th, 2016 22:00

Have you been able to resolve the flickering issue? If you disable hyper-v does it stop?

19 Posts

January 5th, 2016 22:00

Is there any update on this? Has anyone been able to resolve the issue with the flickering display?

1 Message

January 8th, 2016 17:00

Exactly same thing happen to me. XPS came with Windows 10, the touch screen worked for 2 weeks and then in the middle of the day it stopped working. I tried to reset the windows, unfortunately it didn't help. I am shocked how many laptops are affected and I can not believe that the support is sitting quiet even though more than a month has passed since the initial post...

It's unacceptable that we are getting ignored by the support I think we should make some noise on web (IT portals) about how people buying expensive dell products are being left for them self. 

2 Posts

January 27th, 2016 15:00

same problem here, i sent my original in to dell and got it back unfixed. not sure what they were thinking sending me something that hadn't even been fixed.

1 Message

January 29th, 2016 15:00

I have the same issue. No longer touch screen driver in HID device manager and no input under the option pen and input device.

How can we fix this??

6 Posts

February 17th, 2016 11:00

Dell XPS 15 9530 - touch screen just stopped working and it appears to be a driver problem because, like others, I have an 'Unknown USB device (device descriptor failed)' and no touch screen in Human Interface Devices.

Flashed the BIOS, installed the latest display and video drivers several times, tried the Power Management trick, and nothing works. How boring.

1 Message

April 3rd, 2016 08:00

Has anybody had any luck? Same issues, no touch screen in HID devices, and the Unknown USB constantly showing up and dissapearing?

2 Posts

April 3rd, 2016 20:00

Yeah dude I had to send mine in twice before they finally gave me a new laptop.

7 Posts

May 25th, 2016 12:00

Responding to keep myself updated.  Having the same issue with a Dell M5510 (business version of the XPS 15).  Hoping someone finds a solution. 

No Events found!