Wally111
1 Copper

Dell XPS 15 Options?

I want to purchase this machine and have read a few reviews including CNET, Laptopmagazine.com as well as PC magazine overall they were favorable. Based on what I have read the 9 cell battery is essentially a must have option if you stream videos, play games etc. I never owned a laptop with an oversized battery.  Will an oversized battery be uncomfortable when using on my lap this one protrudes about 1.0 inch bringing the back of the computer to about 2.5 inches high. I am concerned that this will make it difficult to use touchpad on downward angle, however it would likely put the keyboard at a better angle. Additionally I have read from some posters that the Intel Centrino wireless N-1000 is riddled with problems (i.e. frequent crashes, low speed connections) and the card should be upgraded. Please anyone with experience on the above issues and hopefully this new (redesigned) model shed some light on these issues. Thanking you in advance.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
8 Xenon

Re: Dell XPS 15 Options?

The answer is that if you want a reliable system, you should NEVER use it in your lap - only on a hard, flat surface with adequate ventilation.

Using the system in a lap leads to overheating, unreliability and a heatsink that gets clogged with lint.

0 Kudos
Wally111
1 Copper

I appreciate that you took the time to respond to my thread. However don't you think that using your logic (although you make some good points regarding the potential influences on performance when frequently used on a lap, maybe the elevated battery would resolve many of the issues you mention) a major reason why people want a laptop besides just portability would find little reason to buy one if they can't put it on their laps?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
8 Xenon

No, not at all.  They've been called notebooks for many years - not laptops.  There was a time when it was perfectly safe to use a notebook in your lap - that hasn't been true for over ten years.  Processors run hotter than ever now.

Doing so will block the cooling system from doing its job and shorten the system's lifespan - just as riding the brakes in your car will shorten the replacement intervals.  If you're willing to accept that compromise, by all means - it's your system.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
njb110
1 Copper

I agree.  You should avoid using a laptop in your lap - or on carpet etc - if you can.  For ventilation and dust reasons.  Whether or not a larger battery is worth the cost and weight depends on how you use the machine.  They should be portable but personally it would be rare for me to use mine for extended periods away from a power source.

0 Kudos
gilgomez
2 Iron

Wally, there are numerous pads or cooling pads designed for use with notebooks and these elevate the unit to help the air circulation plus keep that heat off your lap. 

I recently found an awesome Targus angled laptop pad that is lightweight, elevates the screen and keyboard to a more comfortable position and it has a built in fan which connects to your unit via a usb cable.  I purchased this at Costco and use it with my old Toshiba 17" laptop which runs very hot.  It is excellent!

Good luck and I also read the excellent reviews on the XPS15 with its true HD display. 

0 Kudos
jb72184
1 Copper

Hey guys, I don't mean to interrupt your thread here but you guys seem like you're pretty knowledgable regarding laptops and I was wondering if you could help me out. Do you know what types of raw materials Dell laptop parts are made out of? Specifically parts such as palmrests/touchpads, covers/lids, bases, button covers etc... I know there is a lot of molded plastic, but do you know what types of other material/metals and/or any other composites that are used?

I'm doing a project on ewaste, effects on the environment, and benefits of electronic recycling.

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

0 Kudos