Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 27th, 2017 20:00

Dell XPS 15 Plugged in but not charging

So for the past few weeks my Dell XPS 15 doesn't charge when it is plugged in, and the battery gives the message "plugged in, not charging". I've looked at other similar threads and I've tried updating my BIOS and draining the batter while the computer is plugged in and nothing fixed the problem. What has been happening is that the laptop will eventually start charging after I leave it plugged in for 5-10 minutes but that has stopped happening. Is there any other fix someone can suggest to me?

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

April 28th, 2017 10:00

Please list exact Dell model number and version of windows. Ex: Dell XPS 9550, windows 10.

You could type msinfo32 onto the search box to get the system information. In the meantime, I'd suggest you check the status of AC adapter and Battery's health in the BIOS by follow steps below:

1. Power off system.

2. Power on system, quickly start tapping F2 key continuously. You should be in the BIOS. The status of adapter usually listed under the main screen and Battery health listed under the Advanced tab or Battery information. 

The adapter should say the adapter type, if it says 'Unknown' or 'None', then it's a issue with the adapter, and most likely needs to replace with a Dell genuine adapter that suitable for the system. Note: Wiggle the adapter's end while checking it in the BIOS. The battery health should say Excellent or Your Battery Is Performing Normally

3 Posts

April 28th, 2017 11:00

It's a dell xps 15 9550 and it says the AC adapter is unknown in the bios. I'll try to order a new one and see if that works

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

April 28th, 2017 12:00

If you still have warranty on the system, I'd suggest you contact Technical Support in the link below and ask for a free replacement. Thanks for the update

www.dell.com/.../Contact-Information

3 Posts

May 3rd, 2017 16:00

So my new charger came in and I plugged it in and the computer still doesn't charge. I went into the diagnostics for the unknown charger error screen which comes up when the laptop is launched, and it says that the BIOS Error 23 has been occurring whenever my charger is plugged in but not charging. Any suggestions on what to do?  

2K Posts

May 3rd, 2017 23:00

Hi OMEIR,

When you plug in the adapter to the system, does the adapter stay firm or does it fall off easily? Is there any damage on the system? 

Restart the system and press f2 key to enter BIOS - check the adapter status in BIOS with and without the adapter plugged in. Also, wiggle the adapter cable at the end and see if the status changes in BIOS at any point. 

Update the BIOS and check if it works fine - http://dell.to/2nJNk0f

Restart the system and press f12 key on startup - choose diagnostics. Let it run the diags and if you encounter any errors - make a note of the complete error and report the same to us. These are onboard diagnostics and they might possible pick some error if the hardware is not functional.

If the adapter fits in loose and also considering two adapters have the same fault, I would suspect a DC port issue. 

If the system is under warranty, kindly private message me the service tag and your name, so I could review the warranty info based on your region.

If there is no warranty, then you could contact our team to get a quote for a paid service call - http://dell.to/1vnT6CQ

You could also order the parts here - http://bit.ly/2p8iezM

Let us know if you have any other queries.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

May 4th, 2017 10:00

I also like to add....

If the system is on a docking station, I suggest you remove it from the dock and then retest again.

AC Adapter Errors or Battery not charging when docking ...

1 Message

August 5th, 2017 20:00

Well, I just fixed mind with a toothpick :D apparently the "prong" inside the charging head was bent to the sides instead of upright... try checking it out

No Events found!