nvanes
1 Copper

RE: Dell XPS 15 SSD NVMe slow after July 2016 firmware update

Jump to solution

I happen to have the EXACT same problem as nickfall with my Dell XPS 15. Poor SSD performance and CPU capped at 800 MHz. 

My configuration is as follows: i7 6700HQ, 8GB RAM, NVMe THNSN5256GPU7 SSD. What I've tried:

- install both old as newest BIOS driver
- clean Windows 10 install --> problem persists
- boot in safe mode --> problem persists
- turning off windows write cache flushing --> problem persists

Did anyone find a proper solution yet?

0 Kudos
nvanes
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Ok, I had the same problem, but I think it's now fixed. I followed these recommendations:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/41vgn4/100_thermal_throttling_on_my_dell_xps_15_i56300/

Disconnected the battery for 15 seconds and everything works like a charm. Strange though.

0 Kudos
nickfall
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

@Nyanes: I see - this is one thing I had not tried. Maybe one day, when I feel like opening that laptop again. I have ThrottleStop running in the background with BD_PROCHOT disabled, which does the trick. Thanks for taking the time to let others on the thread know Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
CL0SeY
1 Nickel

RE: Dell XPS 15 SSD NVMe slow after July 2016 firmware update and throttled CPU (Core i7)

Jump to solution

I've found this driver fixes the issue for me for now: www.dell.com/.../driversdetails

(Previously had Windows write-cache buffer flushing turned off to fix it. Now I have the checkbox unticked and performance is still good.)

0 Kudos