Highlighted
gracovetsky
2 Bronze

Re: Dell XPS 15 - USB 3.0 Problem

I belive you have a legitimate beef to complain because it has nothing to do with the 30 days return policy of a hiden defect since it is fundamentally a Dell problem. From my perspective Dell acted negligently when it recommended the drive.

I found with Dell that persistence pays off. Just clim the ladder as I had to do. Overall, my grumbling to Dell paid at less than minimum wage (dividing the refund by the hours on the phone), but since I am retired, I saw it as a sporting event.

Good luck.

Nevertheless, to night I will observe a minute of silence on your behalf.

:))

Highlighted
joey1999
1 Copper

i have just purchased a verbatim 2tb 3.0 usb drive. same as all the other posts. it is recognised on right 2.0 port but not on the two 3.0 usb ports. have emailed dell but nothing. have tried updating various drivers and still nothing. any chance dell? this laptop cost a lot of money and it doesnt work!

refund?

Tags (1)
Highlighted
gracovetsky
2 Bronze

Yes you can get a full refund if the laptop has less than 30 days from the date of the invoice. This is a trick that is unfair because if the delivery takes time, it is time against the refund deadline.

You are hitting the same Renesas problem and compatibility with external drives. How can you recognize that the USB drive is compatibe with the XPS series is unknown to me. Perhaps asking Verbatim about the difference bewteen my Verbatim 750 gig model SNG750GB  and you 2 tb drive would clarify the mystery. Verbatim does not make the drive. The Verbatim 750 gig is made by Toshiba MK77559GSXP with the firmware revision GN00.

I am curious to know who made your 2tb. Mount the drive on USB2 and run the  C/program files/Dell support center/pcdrcui.exe and go to system information. It will be written there. Let us know.

Highlighted
DarrenDC
1 Copper

I'm having a similar problem with my Dell XPS 15 USB 3.0 ports. They seem to haphazardly stop working completely. It makes it so I'm unable to use a wireless mouse or a flash drive, it is very annoying. I haven't had my lap top yet for 30 days. I hope this can be resolved soon or I will be returning it. 

Highlighted
gracovetsky
2 Bronze

Darren

Be careful about the 30 days. These are not counted since the delivery date. They are counted from the invoice date. That is Dell regulations that you accepted when you bought the machine. Hence your 30 days are really 20 days or so when you check the date of the INVOICE.

If you are not happy 20 days after delivery, then retun it for an immediate refund. Otherwise all you will get will be a replacement with probably the same problem.

Good luck.

Highlighted
DarrenDC
1 Copper

Well, 30 days from the Invoice date would be... Friday. Uh oh. :-0

bilboxter
1 Copper

I write here another time to announce another USB fail. randomly after several days or weeks all USB ports stop working and you must restart the laptop to have all the ports working well. I think this problem must be solved soon or i will start a battle against dell like i had with acer because of similar problems, with emails to central headquarters and journals... i am getting tired of waiting and this equipment costs too much money for having such fails. Last message here before starting my personal war against dell.

Highlighted
gracovetsky
2 Bronze

Bilboxter

Keep us posted since we have a vested interest in all of this. Last time I talked to Dell, they told me they were acutely aware of he problem and it has reached, (quote) "level 3 in the management system".

I do not know what level 3 is about, but if anything the Dell technical people realized they have a bunch of unhappy customers about a strictly Dell problem.

Looking at the Dell maintenance manual, I saw that the USB Resenas controller hardware is a little swappable board (about one square inch) tucked on the upper left corner of the laptop right behind the USB3 slots. That controller can be removed (not simple, remove the top, the keyboard and many other things - Dell provides the instructions to do it). Hence a fix could be that Dell provides a replacement controller for their defective laptops.

And if you google the name of my post, you will get my email and we can continue.

Highlighted
DarrenDC
1 Copper

Gentlemen, what should I do? Friday is 30 days from my invoice date. Should I return this thing? 

The last time I was on the phone with dell they had me uninstall and then reinstall the drivers for the USB ports. Then I had the problem again (lost a game of starcraft 2 because of it too). 

Then, the next time I restarted the computer (Dell had me restart before), I got a prompt that said my USB 3.0 was installed and ready to use. I have not had the problem since. But, sometimes I've gone for days w/o having the problem, so It's hard to know if it's really fixed or not. 

Highlighted
gracovetsky
2 Bronze

It depends.

I had my return authorization in my hand and I was 48 hours away from handing the machine over to UPS for the trip back to Dell.

I did not do it because the problem was clearly circumscribed to my Iomega drive and the new Verbatim 750 gig drive was working fine. The question was therefore limited to: Can I live without Iomega Inc and possibly other USB3 equipment makers?

Given the quality of the machine (i.e. everything except the USB3 problem) I thought returning the machine was not warranted. I therefore kept it.

I have had the machine for 6 weeks now and I am just delighted with what it does.

But if you are a gamer with all kind of USB3 interfaces to contend with, then your decision might be different. The break point therefore should be what devices you need to interface on USB3. If it is a simple drive (like me) then keep the machine. If it is more complex, then you may have a reason to let it go.

Tough life.