Highlighted
DarrenDC
1 Copper

Re: Dell XPS 15 - USB 3.0 Problem

yeah, I use a wireless mouse and I need to use it to play games like Starcraft 2. 

Highlighted
joey1999
1 Copper

RESULT! have been informed that they are gonna change my motherboard this friday. hopefully that will sort it. tried to fob me off saying they had never heard of the problem. told them i wos sick of seeing the renesus driver/controller etc.

post again on friday of the result. good luck!

Tags (1)
Highlighted
DarrenDC
1 Copper

A motherboard swap? Jesus. 

I just had the problem happen again. As I type this note, I cannot use my wireless mouse. I can't believe it, but I think I'm going to return this computer. 😞 

Highlighted
DarrenDC
1 Copper

Can't return the computer. You only have 21 days from your invoice date to return it. Incredible (it only took 1 hour, 2 dropped calls, and 6 people to tell me that). Since then, I've been on the phone with a few technicians. One mentioned swapping the motherboard (I'd rather not). The other technician had me change the power settings that the administrator mentioned on this forum (Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Power Options -> Change plan settings -> Change advanced power settings -> USB Settings -> USB Selective Suspend Settings -> Disable both On batter and Plugged in settings). 

Since the problem is intermittent I'm going to get a call back on Monday to see if this fixed the issue over the weekend. Here's hoping this does it, because it looks like I'm going to be stuck with this machine for a long time. 

Another option for me is to get a bluetooth mouse, because then I can play games without relying on USB... 

Highlighted
kevinw999
1 Copper

Perhaps it was suggested earlier, but you could try using the eSATA/USB 2.0 port instead of the USB 3.0 ports.  This has been working reliably for me over the past few weeks for my Wacom tablet.

Highlighted
gracovetsky
2 Bronze

I was also out of date by a couple of days, but with sufficient grumbling I did obtain the return authorization number. I suggest you insist and climb the ladder.

Highlighted
pschwarz1978
1 Copper

Hello,

I went to the store today and purchased the (Lacie Rikiki usb 3.0 / 500 GB / transfer speed music - 36-38 MB/ second / transfer speed movies - 50-70 MB/ second), it worked fine with not a single problem on the same Dell xps 15 that the Iomega 1TB usb 3.0 always freezes on!!!!

So, it would seem to be that the solution is to get another external 3.0 hard drive as the Iomega is not compatible with the Dell!  : )

risuchan
1 Copper

So it really looks like this is at least partially the defect from Iomega. Dell is wrong in that it recommends a product that does not work fine with the computer it manufactures, but we probably should report the problem to Iomega. 

I do wonder that if it comes out that it is Dell's fault, Dare Dell launch a recall action to its laptops, like some car manufacturers.

Highlighted
DarrenDC
1 Copper

Changing the power settings for USB 3.0 did not work. I just got off the phone with Dell and they are looking into other solutions. They mentioned swapping the motherboard, but they are not convinced this will work. And quite frankly that makes me very nervous. 

Thanks @Kevin for making me aware of my esata port that can also connect usb. This port seems to still function when I lose usb 3.0 and I can still use my mouse.

I'm so discouraged that my brand new state of the art and very very expensive computer has shipped to me broken. sigh... 

Highlighted
mkdfff
1 Copper

Hey guys,

I had this problem, and I just fixed it, if you update the driver for the usb 3.0 and actaully follow the instructions for the driver while installing, it'll work.