Tomiro
1 Copper

Re: Dell XPS 15 - USB 3.0 Problem

I've found that both of the USB ports on the left side of my new Dell XPS work with about half the USB devices I own.  For some of the devices that do not work, some will show there is power to the device but will not run while others don't show any power.  However, if I use a female to male extension USB cable, these devices will work in both ports on the left side of the computer. 

Any advice?  Calling Dell tomorow.

Highlighted
Browniecheng
1 Copper

Also having the same problem with my new XPS 15, can't transfer at USB 3 speed with my Western Digital USB 3.0 Passport, Logitech mouse started to freeze whenever the external hard drive is plugged in.....

does anyone have any more insight? Thanks!

Highlighted
sara buch
1 Copper

I bought a Dell XPS 17 last christhmas and discovered recently the problem that the 2 USB 3.0 ports stop work after a random period of time; it can be 10 minutes it can be several hours. Suddenly they just shut off and only way to turn them back on is to reboot the computer.

During the holidays I didn't use the computer so I didn't notice this. In Jan I left for Europe and will stay away for the next 6 months so I cannot even return the laptop.

This is a major issue since  I need at least 3 of them, even if just USB 2... I bought this laptop at almost 2000$ and I thought that I would be safe but I'm not!

I don't know what to do but wait for an answer here.

I really hope DELL find a solution very soon, Terry B. can you give an update on your post?

Thanks

Highlighted
DELL-Terry B
5 Tungsten

Just wanted to check in with all of you.  I know that right now engineering is working on a new driver update for the USB 3.0 problems.  I can't give an ETA when it will be available only that it is expected sometime this month.  I will certianly keep you posted of any status changes.

TB

Specialize in Laptops, Mobile Devices
#IWork4Dell

Highlighted
waddonboy
1 Copper

Another fed up user - for me I have not tried using any USB3 devices but only a Logitech wireless mouse purchased with the laptop which worked in the USB3 ports for a short time then just stopped working and has never worked in the left side USB port since. Nothing else plugged into it, just the mouse which stopped working one day. Unfortunately now nothing seems to work in this port, I have tried a few USB memory sticks and USB 2 portable hard drives but no joy. So it looks like the port is screwed.

Not impressed from a £1700 laptop! Like most people I have better things to do with my time than trouble shoot new kit.

Highlighted
fanbanlo
1 Copper

For those who are looking for USB 3 portable HD, no problem with My Passport Essential SE USB 3.0.  However, it is not a very speedy drive.

Highlighted
7 Thorium

I have read this thread and decided to get out my Dell by Logitech mouse.

I have it connected to the right, then the left USB Ports. I am not having any problems.

I do use these tweaks on all my computers.

Go to device manager(right click my computer, left click properties, left click hardware, left click device manager)

Go to the USB Controller section and click the + sign.

Go to each USB Root Hub and right click on it, left click properties, left click power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Restart your computer.

--------------------------------------

Go to device manager(right click my computer, left click properties, left click hardware, left click device manager). Click on Network and then right click on your wireless adapter, left click properties, power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Rick

#DellRockstar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

#MicrosoftMVP - Windows Expert-Consumer April 1, 2012 to March 31, 2015

Highlighted
waddonboy
1 Copper

Thanks for the power mode suggestion however I have identified the fault is physical and so is not related to other posts in this thread.

In my case the USB port has broken away from the socket and is now floating around inside the case - guess that wireless mouse was not such a good idea. Am still not impressed though. I have a Fujitsu notebook from 2004 that I still use every day at work and that has been around the world twice still lives in my unpadded backpack, has suffered knocks and drops and even a chassis fracture but still works fine. My XPS hasn't left home, hardly used, lives in a padded bag and is broke already 😞

Highlighted
7 Thorium

I have had the Dell by Logitech Mouse attached since I posted this afternoon and it is still working.I now have it in the back USB Port, just to check. Have taken the dog outside, ate dinner and the mouse continues to work. Just got this Dell XPS L501x (15) computer last week to replace a bad i5 processor, only had one core working.

Sorry to hear the the USB Post went inside the computer.

Rick

#DellRockstar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

#MicrosoftMVP - Windows Expert-Consumer April 1, 2012 to March 31, 2015

Highlighted
sara buch
1 Copper

Rick, thanks for the try:emotion-1:

but the Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 Root Hub doesn't have any power management properties as the USB 2.0 ones have;

There's not much to do for it in the device manager but install or uninstall it...

To me the problem can stay away for days but then it happens and can repeat several times in a day, don't think that if yo didn't have it yet means that you are bug free:emotion-7:

Just hope that for the end of the months Dell deliver something good.:emotion-40: