Highlighted
gracovetsky
2 Bronze

Re: Dell XPS 15 - USB 3.0 Problem

Redpixelle: I use the Logitech combo K520 (wireless keyboard and mouse). Bough at Amazon.

I also use the Bluetooth mouse Dell P/N PU705 - I got it with my system. I prefer the Logitech which fits better in my hand.

There were a couple of tricks that were explained to me by the Dell technician. Works fine for the last two months.

Th elogitech mouse is prone to get the optics clogged, so clean the lense when it becomes erratic.

Highlighted
RedPixelle
1 Copper

Thanks for that, I'll bear your recommendations in mind if the problem persists.

Thanks, Lisa.

Highlighted
7 Thorium

Sorry, I posted the wrong link,

http://en.community.dell.com/dell-blogs/Direct2Dell/b/direct2dell/archive/2011/02/02/intel-chipset-i...

Lionel's blogs states most of the information...

I know many of you have been reading the recent Intel news regarding the Cougar Point (Intel 6 Series) chipset issue. Intel recently provided details regarding a design issue in the chipset that supports new second-generation Sandy Bridge Intel Core processors. The processors themselves are not affected by this chipset issue.

Dell and Intel are in communication regarding the design issue in the recently released Intel 6 Series support chip set, code-name Cougar Point. This affects four currently-available Dell products, the XPS 8300, the Vostro 460, the Alienware M17x R3 and the Alienware Aurora R3 as well as several other planned products including XPS 17 with 3D. 

Rick

#DellRockstar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

#MicrosoftMVP - Windows Expert-Consumer April 1, 2012 to March 31, 2015

Highlighted
mjmattson
1 Copper

I just wanted to let you know that I set up a chat with Dell support yesterday (2/22).  Took about 30 minutes total where I typed out all the troubleshooting and steps I have taken to isolate and/or solve this issue (swap cables, reinstall drivers, etc.) before letting the service rep get into his canned responses.   I wanted to preempt the running through of the monkey list of troubleshooting and wasting my time.  They accepted that I had performed all the steps (which of course I had many times over).   The rep said I actually did more than they would have done.  I also mentioned this forum and the anger/frustration here and elsewhere.  I even pasted some HTML links into the chat session to point them direction here and to some other critical notebook forum postings.

The shock was they then announced they would be replacing my motherboard.  ??? I said to myself...HUH???  It seems from what I could get from the rep on the chat  that there was some type of revision to the XPS 17 motherboard (is the same board used in the 14/15/and 17?).  I asked specifically if the replacement MB would be different than the one currently in my XPS 17 and he said the circuitry was different.  I take that as a revision.

It was supposed to take 2 days to schedule it to be performed in home, but surprisingly a tech called this morning (2/23), came at noon, and replaced the motherboard, both daughter boards, fan and heatsink in my XPS 17.  One of the daughter boards was the small USB 3.0 controller (2 USB 3.0 and one USB 2.0).  I tried to look at the parts list and I believe the new MB model was A54A (or something similar - maybe that means a rev A?)

I have not had a chance to test it since the USB 3.0 problem is somewhat random on my machine and I needed to get to work, but I was at least pretty impressed they went to that degree to try to solve it (or maybe it is desperation?).  Dell said they have received a LOT of calls and complaints about the USB 3.0 issue (esp on the XPS 15) so they are listening.  Time will tell if the issue is solved with what they did today.  I may stop by and pick up a USB 3.0 HUB tonight and see if I can actually use one now as a USB 3.0 hub...that was my biggest problem other than my external drives just vanishing from Windows and requiring a reboot.

Anyone else had Dell replace the MB and both daughter boards?

Highlighted
gracovetsky
2 Bronze

That is  interesting. Let me know if you have the Dell XPS17 L701x.

This is the machine I bought that also gave me USB3 problems.

Glad to hear that Dell is looking into this. Please tell us if that new motherboard has resolved the USB3 issues.

Thanks

sara buch
1 Copper

Too bad I'm stuck in Italy for the next 6 months, I wonder how the Dell guy fly over here and replace my XPS L701x motherboard:emotion-6:

Highlighted
RedPixelle
1 Copper

Problem has happened again. I was in the middle of working. Laptop had been on for about 45 mins, is not set to hibernate, all power saving settings are off. Mouse just froze. I removed the receiver and replaced it but with no response. I then tried a flash drive in the USB drive and still no response. Rebooted and hey presto, everything is working again. This is very frustrating. I'm going to have to call Dell Support.

Highlighted
waddonboy
1 Copper

I have the XPS 15 and I also experienced a logitech wireless mouse stop working in the left side USB3 port however I also had a physically broken port. Fortunately I had one years insurance cover and I have to say Dell's response and service is second to none.

They offered to send an engineer the next day (yesterday) with a replacement motherboard but when he arrived he realised the USB3 ports are on a daughter board which he didn't have. So he is returning today with the daughter board and bringing the motherboard with him - just in case.

So I will compare board model numbers and if possible go with a later version but in my case because the internal TV card is no longer an option due to some reported fault (I believe with the remote control which wouldn't have bothered me anyway, it's not like I'd sit on the other side of a room to view a laptop screen!) so I'd still like to try the internal TV card option if available. It was included in my original XPS but the courier company managed to mispalce that one 😞  Again, Dell's response was fantastic, no quibbles new replacement built and sent in 10 days

I will let you know how it goes

Highlighted
waddonboy
1 Copper

I didn't need the replacement motherboard which appeared to be the same version and was labelled refurbished - so probably spares out of another laptop and identical to the one I had. The USB daughter board was replaced and all working again.

I have updated the BIOS and verified USB drivers are the latest versions and will no doubt be purchasing a USB3 drive at some point in the near future - and taking advice from this post on the choice of device for sure!

I will post again if I experience any of the symptoms reported by others

Highlighted
mjmattson
1 Copper

Well, if my Western Digital Mybook 3.0 drives are plugged into the USB 3.0 ports on the XPS 17, all seems to work, but they will STILL NOT work with a SIIG/Diamond Multimedia/or US Robotics USB 3.0 HUB!!!!!

At this point I'm getting really upset.  Is it the Western Digital drives that don't work properly or the Dell SPS 17?  Or BOTH?   I can plug the hub into the USB 3.0 port, have the device drivers install, and plug ANYTHING else I have into it and it works, but not the WD Mybook 3.0 drives with USB 3.0 cables.  If I use USB 2.0 cables they work.

WTH!!!

WD is infuriating..."We don't recommending using our drives with a Hub."   But they won't tell me if they WILL work with one or not and WHY wouldn't they?  To me that would be a POOR drive that wouldn't.  I guess the only thing I can do is go buy another brand USB 3.0 drive and see it IT works with the hub...maybe most of the problem is with the drives, but I just find that hard to believe with Western Digital.  Why would it work off a hub but not on...isn't that the POINT of USB, so you can use a hub and EXPAND???

Anyone have any ideas here?

I am SO SICK of this!

Matt