Highlighted
alexgibson
1 Copper

Re: Dell XPS 15 - USB 3.0 Problem

Wow. I am happy i found this thread.... And also disappointed.

I just bought a dell XPS 17 l701x. I had it for about  a month now. and about 15 days in i started to get the problem with the USB ports. At first i was receiving a blue screen error that said "BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER".  I called support twice and both times they tried assisting me with the problems. After they both failed i tried to run a program called "Registry Booster". This actually fixed the problem as far as i could tell...

Just yesterday, my WAVESMaxxAudio3 touch button stopped working... I called dell, and to make a long story short they said the button needed to be replaced... Although it was still lighting up and the other touch buttons were still working. I figured id just try and do a fresh install of windows 7 using the dell recovery tool. I did so, buttons work, but the USB problem is back.

Im frustrated and tired of having problems with this laptop.. i replaced my desktop with this because of headaches.. now this is starting to get to me..

-Alex

Highlighted
mjmattson
1 Copper

An update:

<Moderators removed my existing post - I guess they didn't like me comparing different drive manufacturers.  Hopefully just mentioning one that I found works with this board is OK and this will be posted...I apologize to the mods if I broke any board rules...>

Dell came last week and replaced the motherboard and 2 daughter boards on my XPS 17 L701x.  Since then I have not seen my USB 3.0 drives vanish from Windows 7 so I will take that as a GOOD sign.  HOWEVER, I did find out that as before neither of my existing external drives will work with a USB 3.0 hub hooked to the new USB daughter board.  They just will not show up in Windows disk management.

So, I figured I would try a Seagate GoFlex Desk 2TB USB 3.0 drive instead.  Amazing...Windows recognized it immediately and it showed up in Windows.  I then took the cable for my existing drives and plugged it into the next hub slot...nothing.

So it looks like there are a couple issues I was having.  1. Dell hardware/software (which is now likely fixed with the new boards) and 2. certainly something wrong with the old drives USB interface (both USB 3.0/2.0).  I just emailed the existing drives manufacturer and demanded they refund both my drives since I can no longer return them to the two places they were purchased (over 15 and 30 days respectively).  I'm glad at least the drives don't disappear from Windows any more (thank you to Dell for that), but there is still a problem with some drives not working correctly with USB 3.0/2.0 (especially with hubs).

I will probably just go get another Seagate and use them instead since they seem to work in my experience.

Matt

Highlighted
terex2011
2 Bronze

I just bought the new Dell XPS 15" laptop and experience the same usb power problem. In fact, before i was aware of it I had my external 640GB Adata harddrive plugged in, the usb port lost power and corrupted the file system on the drive. I lost many important files but luckily i did have older versions backed up elsewhere. I also use a Logitech G5 usb mouse which sometimes stops working and only a reboot can make it work again. I noticed that if i plug the mouse in while just booting up the computer, i can freeze it completely. Need to press the power button to shut it down and reboot with or without the mouse plugged in.

Since i lost my data once, I cannot trust the two usb ports on this otherwise very fine computer anymore. Luckily there is an eSata port which i will try out soon.

Highlighted
peterp49
1 Copper

Terex2011,

Thanks for pointing out the danger of using a flaky usb port to transfer data. I, too, am having usb 3.0 port problems on the beautiful l501x that's a bit more than a month old. I run in a virtualized environment. The l501x is plenty powerful enough to run all the virtual machines at good speed. But I _need_ the two usb 3.0 ports to make backups of all the virtual machines (many multi-gigabyte files) onto external usb 3.0 drives. I was using e-sata external drives before, but that machine is gone.

The XPS 15 seemed perfect for my needs, and now this.

Any word from Dell on a fix for this problem?

--Peter

Highlighted
DELL-Terry B
5 Tungsten

I am just touching base with all of you.  As I mentioned in my last post, engineering is working on a new USB 3.0 driver.  It has been pushed back but we are expecting its release shortly.  I apologize for the lack of more specific information; I wanted you all to know that we are aware of the issue and are working on a fix.  We just don't want to release something that we haven't fully tested enough. 

TB

Specialize in Laptops, Mobile Devices
#IWork4Dell

Highlighted
DELL-Terry B
5 Tungsten

I just wanted to announce that a new Renesas USB 3.0 driver has been released on the file Library. The file may be found on the following link.

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

It was designed to help with the compatibility issues from the last driver.  Please download and see if it helps.

Download and Installation instructions.

Hard Drive Installation (via WinZip) with Setup.exe File for R299115.exe

Download

1.Click Download Now, to download the file.
2.When the File Download window appears, click Save (Windows XP
users will click Save) this program to disk and click OK. The Save In:
window appears.
3.From the Save In: field, click the down arrow then click to
select Desktop and click Save. The file will download to your desktop.
4.If the Download Complete window appears, click Close. The file
icon appears on your desktop.

Install

1.Double-click the new icon on the desktop labeled R299115.exe.
2.The Self-Extracting window appears and prompts you to extract or
unzip to C:\DELL\DRIVERS\R299115. Write down this path so the executable (I.e.
Setup.exe) file can be found later.
3.The Self-Extractor window appears.
4.Click OK.
5.After completing the file extraction, if the Self-Extractor
window is still open, close it.
6.Click the Start button and then click Run.
7.Type C:\DELL\DRIVERS\R299115 in the Open textbox and then click OK.
8.Follow the on-screen installation instructions.

Please let me know if the driver helps.

Thanks

TB

Specialize in Laptops, Mobile Devices
#IWork4Dell

Highlighted
gracovetsky
2 Bronze

So far so good.

terex2011
2 Bronze

Thanks for the update!

I have installed the driver and my usb mouse worked right after the installation. I will keep an eye out for any more problems.

Highlighted
Browniecheng
1 Copper

Wow, this update seems to work really well!

Not only did it solved my Mouse / USB 3 External Hard Drive problem, but it also seemed to speed up the transfer rate between the laptop and the USB 3 External HD. 

Thanks!

Highlighted
risuchan
1 Copper

EXCEPTION: THIS FIX ALMOST DID NOT WORK AT ALL ON MY XPS 15. IT MAY NOT BE USEFUL ON ALL XPS LAPTOPS.

After installing the driver, I tried to connect both the iomega eGo 1TB USB3.0 Drive and my mouse (Microsoft Arc) together on the two adjacent USB3.0 ports, and the mouse stops working from time to time at a frequency that is impossible to use, just as what was happening before the update. I unplugged the mouse and plug in a keyboard into the USB 3.0 port, keeping the drive connected, and the keyboard won't response at all - which is also the same as before.

In terms of tramsfer speed, there is some improvements - from an average of <20MB/S to about 30MB/S, but I don't think this is the normal speed of USB 3.0 - should it be faster?

Or... does it take effect only after reboot? If so, please let me know...