Highlighted
D_E_N_N_I_E
1 Copper

Re: Dell XPS 15 - USB 3.0 Problem

I have the same problem as mentioned in this forum.

I have an XPS 15 L501X with an Iomega eGo usb 3.0 1TB harddrive. When I plugin the harddrive to the laptop, it recognises the harddrive but when I click on the harddrive the ourglass is visible but nothing happens.

The harddrive works fine on my desktop and netbook both usb 2.0.

Please reply if this problem can be fixed on short notice otherwise I will return the harddrive and try a different one because I just both this one and can still return it.

Highlighted
gracovetsky
2 Bronze

Dennie

Got the same problem with the same Iomega drive as yours. Tried working it out for 2 weeks with Dell to no avail.

I returned the Iomega drive and replaced it with the Verbatim USB3 model SNG750GB bought from Amazon (750 gig for about $99).

I have used the Verbatim daily for three month now without a hitch.

Highlighted
risuchan
1 Copper

Just wondering if anyone has tried to connect the Iomega drive to some other USB3.o ports on other computers? I know this is relatively hard to find, but if anyone could do it maybe we could see if it is also the drive's fault... The Iomega drive worked on my USB2.0 ports and USB2.0 ports on other computers just fine as well.

Highlighted
RedPixelle
1 Copper

I installed the update as soon as it was released. My Logitec M305 mouse has been working fine for the past week. This morning however, whilst playing WoW, it froze up again. I rebooted and was faced with the old BSoD.

THE UPDATE HAS NOT FIXED THE ISSUE.

Very disappointed.

Lisa.

Highlighted
terex2011
2 Bronze

Has anyone played around with these usb tools? The USB electrical analysis tool is particularly interesting but suggests one needs an oscilloscope?

Here are the tools for USB3 compliance testing.

Again, the Dell engineers should look into it. It's just not normal that out of the blue a usb port stops delivering a current and can only be restored by rebooting the laptop.

Highlighted
Mohbyuz
1 Copper

The above images are what I get with the latest Dell Drivers on my XPS L702X.  The USB 3.0 ports work for longer than what they did with the previous drivers, but I had walked away for a while and came back. I tried to wake the computer with my mouse (MX518 with the latest SetPoint drivers installed) and noticed that there was no power whatsoever to the mouse (the light was off). It also disabled the receiver for my wireless keyboard. They work fine in the USB 2.0 ports.  The Power Management settings are set to High Performance.

Rebooting the laptop does resolve the issue for a while, but it crops right back up again. Every time the controller fails, the USB 3.0 Host Controller software is unable to read the firmware version.

OS is Windows 7 Home Premium with SP1
8 Gigs of RAM
2x 500 Gigabyte HDDs
GeForce GT550M 1 Gig

Highlighted
risuchan
1 Copper

So looks like the XPS laptops with the New 2ndGen Core processors also have this problem?

Highlighted
Mohbyuz
1 Copper

Looks like it's the same hardware for the USB 3.0 controller across all current XPS systems. Overall I'm happy with my laptop (It just came on Friday 18 March 2011).  The two basically useless USB ports make me less than happy especially after seeing all of the posts about it. Had I done my due diligence instead of just pulling the trigger, I'm not sure I would have ordered the laptop just because of my available ports being cut in half. I can't use them for peripherals and I'm certainly not going to use them to move any data.

bilboxter
1 Copper

Hi, i am not a dell client anymore. I have returned mi dell XPS L501X after several months waiting for a solution that i can see is still not found. I advise you to return your laptop. I have a new laptop now, from another company, with same processor and memory, same performance, and USB 3.0 works fine. And i have saved 500€!!!. 😉 Regards and good luck for all.

Highlighted
Browniecheng
1 Copper

Hi Bilboxter, which new laptop did you buy? I am very interested in Dell alternatives in the future. The problem is, with the same specs, all the other major brands (Lenovo, HP, Sony, etc) all cost much more than Dell.