Highlighted
8 Krypton

Re: Dell XPS 15 - USB 3.0 Problem

sara buch,

You are correct but both of the Generic USB Hub and the usb root hubs do have powermanagement boxes.

How many USB ports do you have? Sometimes Dell uses some type of USB connection for the internal webcam, I think.

Rick

#DellRockstar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

#MicrosoftMVP - Windows Expert-Consumer April 1, 2012 to March 31, 2015

Highlighted
1 Copper

Hi Rick,

I did as you suggested (I'm having problems with a variety of USB devices). The problem with this is that the settings change does not stick. It works fine on the wireless adapter but after a reboot, the USB Hub settings revert back to being ticked on.

I use a Logitech wireless mouse and it can work fine for days then just stops. There does not appear to be any pattern to the problem. As with other users on here, I have uninstalled/reinstalled drivers etc but the problem persists. The only thing which solves it is a reboot which is a pain.

All I can hope is that Dell does indeed bring out a fix for this as it is quite a major failing.

Cheers,

Lisa

Highlighted
8 Krypton

Lisa,

Just thinking...

When this happens...

Did the computer go into the sleep/hibernate mode?

I noticed that when my computer goes into sleep/hibernate mode, my wireless connection does not restore and restarting the computer is how I get this back. I have the computer sleep/hibernate ONLY on battery.

Rick

#DellRockstar

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

Highlighted
1 Copper

Hi Rick,

It has happened when my machine has gone into hibernation, but then it has also happened a couple of  times when I have been in the middle of using the mouse. I did think it was simply the mouse's batteries at first, and changed them but with no joy.

I have gone into my Power Management settings now and stopped the machine from hibernating whilst plugged in. I will post again if the USB problem still occurs.

Thanks,

Lisa

Highlighted
1 Copper

Hi, i must sadly tell you that the problem is not solved by turning off the USB power management. I have spoken with dell two times and they told me to do that. I knew this would not be the solution because the errors occur even when using the keyboard or the mouse in this moment, so the laptop is in this moment not handling the power in the USB ports. They have told me to wait for a solution. I have asked for a date and they dont know when the fix will be finished. I think that they don't have any idea about the problem. I will not wait more than a month, after that Dell must give a solution. I cannot tell my clients that i don't know when they will have solved the problems of our company products. It's shameful.

Regards.

Highlighted
8 Krypton

billboxter,

Terry stated that the engineers are working on a driver update.

I have a brand new Dell XPS L501x

The drivers I have installed are...

Rick

#DellRockstar

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Sorry, but the Renesas driver 2.0.4.0 is the same driver that created many problems described at length since the very first post on  this forum. Please read the begining of the posts. I had the same problems as written earlier.

As discussed before, It looks like there is an incompatibility between the Renesas driver 2.0.4.0 and some of the USB devices manufactured by non Dell people. My solution has been to change the USB questionable devices. For example the Iomega 500gig USB3 has been a complete loss and was replaced by the USB3 Verbatim SNG 750g last december. Since then, everything works like a charm.

Dell is aware of the problem and is trying to circumvent that defect. That is what they say, and it remains to see if they will really do it. In the mean time, identify the USB device that does not work with your machine, and even if that device works well with another machine, throw it away. It is not compatible with your new machine and you are wasting your time. Take it as a loss and get something new that is compatible.

I have noticed that Dell has removed the XP17 L701x (my system) from their sales list. It may very well be that Dell is flushing out the defectives USB machines on hand to replace them with new systems. Those who, like me, are stuck with a defective machine will have to go around the driver problem as I described earlier. Not a big deal really. It it were not for the USB3 problem tha I have solved by replacing the USB drive, my machine is everything I was expecting it to be.

Highlighted
8 Krypton

gracovetsky,

The XPS L701x was removed because the the Intel Chip problem. It's just temporary.

http://en.community.dell.com/dell-blogs/Direct2Dell/b/direct2dell/default.aspx

Guess we'll just wait until there is a driver update.

Rick

#DellRockstar

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

Highlighted
1 Copper

WIth that in mind , have you come across a compatible wireless mouse you can recommend?

I love my XPS15 and it does everything I would want, but a temperamental USB problem is quite a big issue. I did not pay a lot of money for a machine that had a very basic but irritating problem. I do not expect all programs I throw at it to work 100% of the time, nor do I expect never to see the BSOD. But I DO expect the machine to be able to handle USB peripherals without failing often enough for it to be intolerant. I do not want to have to go shopping around for specific makes and models because of a known issue with the USB drivers.

Hurry up and sort it Dell!

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Hummm: Pudgy one:

I went to web site and found many machines with the chipset problems and also the future Xps17 3D, but not the specific XPS17 L701x

Could you please be more specific so that I could read the reference. Thank you.