Laptops General - Read Only

Last reply by 11-22-2016 Unsolved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Dell XPS 15 diplay problem, dims for a fragment of time

I have recently bought a Dell XPS 15 9550 (i7, 512GB SSD, 4k touchscreen)

It has Windows 10 64-bit and BIOS 1.02.14 installed.

I have a problem when display dims for a fragment of time, and it happens every minute or so.

It does not go black, but its brightness falls about 10-20% for a 0.1 second and then goes back to normal. But human eye can notice that and it is very uncomfrotable.

I've turned off Dell PremierColor and this doesn't fix the problem.

The only thing that fixes the problem is reverting to BIOS 1.1.15 (Read it here somewhere on the forums).

When running that BIOS version display works great, but bios diagnostics shows an error with hard-drive (error code : 2000-0151 ). BIOS 1.02.14 diagnostics doesn't show this error.

I'd like to run latest BIOS but without this display issue.

Could you help me with that? Thank you.

Replies (5)
Community Manager
Community Manager

Bios 1.2.14 was only for XPS 15-9550 users who had the battery issue of not charging past 60%. If you did not have that battery issue, then you should not install it. The diagnostic error on bios 1.1.15 is just that, a software error in the diagnostics. It is not an actual hardware issue with the hard disk drive or the laptop. If it fixes the 0.1 second brightness issue on 1.2.14, then stay with 1.1.15.

A double space after a period is no longer needed. Today nearly every font on your PC is proportional.
Find your Service Tag

3 Zinc

I also have the same problem with 9550 4K touchscreen, which was not present up to the certain firmware version which supposedly fixes screen flicker (with FHD displays).

Downgrade is not an option, because later BIOS solves some other problems.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

That's true.

I also found out that when I run BIOS 1.02.14 and any game which stresses GPU, the game may totally crash and freeze, without possibility to shut down the process. Only the reboot could then help.

This doesn't occur with BIOS 1.1.15

So I'd like to ask Dell to fix all those known issues and release a new version of BIOS that would solve all of those problems in one package.

Thank you.

Community Manager
Community Manager

"because later BIOS solves some other problems."
Not according to the Bios 1.2.14 page. It only corrected the battery issue =

All we can do on our end is report this thread and the issues to the laptop team. We have no idea on any ETA for a new bios. For now, you will have to choose to run either the 1.1.15 (1/5/16) or the 1.2.14 (9/9/16) until they release a new bios. I also see Bios 1.02.10 (7/5/16). You might want to test it.

A double space after a period is no longer needed. Today nearly every font on your PC is proportional.
Find your Service Tag

3 Zinc

\ "because later BIOS solves some other problems."

\ Not according to the Bios 1.2.14 page. It only corrected the battery issue =

I recall a bios update from the last non-flickering one was required with one dock related driver.

The WD15 would repeatedly drop USB devices and reconnect them. Now they seem to be stable in airplane mode and I merely get temporary freezes with the wifi enabled (reduced power). Not sure though  if this is due some other setting, because I've tried MANY suggestions.

Top Contributor
Latest Solutions