Highlighted
Not applicable

Dell XPS 15z Latop screen dark shadow problem

Hi, I have a Dell XPS 15z laptop.  I was typing on my laptop today when out of no where, a dark shadow abruptly emerged on the right side of my laptop screen.  At first I thought it was a glare, but when I tilted the screen I realized it looked like something went wrong with either the screen, backlight, etc. I unfortunately can't include a screen shot of the shadow because it doesn't show up that way. However I included a picture I took with my phone that might help explain my problem

Any recommendation, advise or help is greatly appreciated 🙂 

0 Kudos
39 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Dell XPS 15z Latop screen dark shadow problem

Hi Owen1229,

Welcome to the community.

Please check the link below which would help you resolve this issue:

http://dell.to/WMHJCt

Also, check the laptop with external display to isolate the cause of the issue.

Kindly perform these steps and let us know, so we can advise you further.

Thanks and Regards
Sandeep P
#iworkfordell

Thanks and Regards
Sandeep P
#iworkfordell

To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US Customers; UK Customers; India Customers. For Dell support videos click Here.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

I checked with the things you provided me with and it seems to be the actual laptop screen with the problem

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi Owen1229,

I appreciate the time and effort that you took to troubleshoot the issue. Please let us know if the issue occurs on a external display as well.

If you have any further queries, please feel free to contact us.

Thanks and Regards
Sandeep P
#iworkfordell

Thanks and Regards
Sandeep P
#iworkfordell

To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US Customers; UK Customers; India Customers. For Dell support videos click Here.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

The issue does not occur on the external display. It only occurs on the laptop screen.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi Owen1229,

I appreciate the time and effort that you took to troubleshoot the issue. LCD of the system would require replacement.  

If the system is under warranty then please contact me through a private message by clicking on my name highlighted in blue. On the next page, click the envelope icon and provide your service tag and contact information so I may access your system records.

And, if the system is out of warranty then you contact our Expired Warranty Support at the link below:

http://dell.to/YJeelQ

If you have any further queries please feel free to contact us.

Thanks and Regards
Sandeep P
#iworkfordell

Thanks and Regards
Sandeep P
#iworkfordell

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

I have the same problem occurring in the same location, but only intermittently so far.

What have you learned about a fix?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

I haven't learned anything about it so far. The Dell guys on the forums haven't given me any actual helpful info yet.  For me the problem was on-and-off at first but my guess is your "shadow" will be the same as mine and keep reappearing at a more and more consistent rate until it eventually will just always be there from the moment you turn on the laptop to the time you shut it off.

If you learn anything please let me know!

I have a feeling the problem is a broken LED behind the screen or something of that nature

0 Kudos
Highlighted
10 Diamond

This looks like damage to the screen or the reflector behind it - one way or another, the screen needs to be replaced.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi plipke,

Welcome to the community.

Kindly follow the steps in the link below:

http://dell.to/WMHJCt

You can isolate the issue by connected the system to a external monitor and let us know the results.

If you have any further queries, please feel free to contact us.

Thanks and Regards
Sandeep P
#iworkfordell

Thanks and Regards
Sandeep P
#iworkfordell

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi Owen1229,

As advised LCD of the system is faulty and requires replacement. If the system is under warranty we can arrange it to be replaced.  Kindly contact me through a private message by clicking on my name highlighted in blue. On the next page, click the envelope icon and provide your service tag and contact information so I may access your system records.

And, if the system is out of warranty then you contact our Expired Warranty Support at the link below:

http://dell.to/12LmNBq

If you have any further queries please feel free to contact us.

Thanks and Regards
Sandeep P
#iworkfordell

Thanks and Regards
Sandeep P
#iworkfordell

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

The link you have posted says the article is unavailable.

This EXACT problem has begun occurring with my laptop also.

I have a Dell XPS 15z

I have kept my laptop is immaculate condition, it has never been dropped, knocked or anything and now this dark shadow on the right side of my screen has occurred. It is in the EXACT same place as Owen's, what are the chances?

Can you please research a solution Dell team?

I have had this laptop for almost two years and it has been a good machine and, as you will know, was very expensive. I think two years is a little early to have to replace the screen? surely? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

I have the exact same problem! There must be some kind of common screen issue with the Dell XPS 15z...I mean what are the chances that 4+ people would have the same screen shadow in the SAME place? I've always been extremely careful with my laptop so it's not like it's been damaged. I don't understand this. I don't think it's fair that we have to pay hundreds of dollars to have our screens replaced when it isn't even our fault. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi TheJessalyn,

We will have to perform the ‘LCD BIST’ (Built in Self-test) on the computer. Please follow the steps mentioned below to run the “LCD BIST’.

1. Turn of the computer.
  2. Press and hold down the ‘D’ key on the keyboard and press the Power button.
  3. You will see different colors on the LCD screen. Please check if you still see the shadow on the screen.

If you see the shadow on the screen while the LCD bist is running you will have to replace the LCD.

In addition, I would advise you to connect an external display and check for the issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

RE: Dell XPS 15z Latop screen dark shadow problem

Hi, did you manage to get dell to replace the display? I have the same problem but have had my XPS 15z for just over 2 years.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Mine too has the exact same problem. I just happened to be out of warranty for about 6 months (which is convenient) and I did all of the mentioned tests to see if it was the LCD and guess what.. It is the LCD and in the exact position as everyone else's. Now I have to buy an out of warranty repair? That is bogus because I already spent almost $1100 on the laptop itself and I am broke. I looked on ebay, they sell just the lcd part for $60 but I would  have to repair it myself, which I have never done before, but it may be worth the risk since DELL wants more than $200 plus a bunch of other fees for a faulty LCD that is obviously their fault for manufacturing a cheap <ADMIN NOTE: Substitute character removed as per TOU> monitor. I feel like Dell put together a super cheap machine and we are left forking out a <ADMIN NOTE: Substitute character removed as per TOU> ton of money just to keep the system at par so they can profit from us. Thanks Dell, you have made me a new believer in Mac products and I will not be going back to DELL again. Also please note that I will be telling everyone I know(and more) not to buy this over priced junk!! Also notice how the technician are always saying the same thing on this forum? It's like they are robots or something.. Their options are to bring it in for repair or use the out of warranty repair and give them all of your money and then they will fix your problem and then you will have another problem and then they can fix the next problem for more of your money... WOW thanks soo much!! I need to get a job at Dell because you guys are obviously hording most of our money because there is definitely almost non going into R&D for better products!!

Highlighted
2 Bronze

I don't have a solution to the problem, but I just wanted to add my name to the list of people who have the same issue in the exact same spot.  It appeared last week, which unfortunately was only six weeks after my warranty expired.  It just appeared magically.  It wasn't there when I closed the lid, and then it appeared when I reopened it two hours later.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

It's ridiculous. Never again will I buy from Dell--I am officially a Macbook person. It's unfortunate because they would have saved much more money (and reputation) in the long run by just fixing our screens when it was obviously a mass manufacturing issue...Because now they are going to lose business from not only us, but all the people we advise not to purchase Dell products. So rather than losing less than $1k and causing us to be able to tell others how great of service they have, they are instead taking the low path and will end up losing thousands upon thousands of dollars worth of laptops that we would have purchased in the future/would have recommended others to purchase in the future. 

Mark my words, I will never allow a person I care about to make the same mistake I did. Trust me...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

I bought a Dell XPS 15Z in March 2012 and the one year warranty expired in March 2013. It has been about 8 months since the warranty expired and I have exactly the same problem. The bottom right corner of the screen is dark. 

I purchased this laptop as a spare laptop and I have sparingly used this. It has sat on my home office desk all this time and it has never ever been physically damaged or dropped. No liquid damage or any other sort of damage. I have not even traveled with this laptop. It has always been connected to a surge protected outlet too.

This laptop model is definitely a bad quality product from Dell. I have totally lost confidence in Dell's quality. Customer Support could not help, even after several escalations. They simply claim that the warranty has expired and I have not purchased a warranty extension, hence I have to pay in excess of $250.00 to get the LCD replaced by Dell.

They even proceeded to tell me to go to Geek Squad at Best Buy to get it fixed. I was appalled by this. They also said there has not been any recalls issued on laptops of this model.

There definitely is a serious quality issue with this product as several others that have this model have very similar issue. 

I urge someone at Dell corporate to get involved and take responsibility for the quality of their products.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

I got a simple solution. Once you notice the shadow type the following "ALT + CTRL + Downward Arrow" then press "ALT + CTRL + Upward Arrow" .

Simply rotate your screen digitally and it resets it.

I guess it solves it. The error seems to come from the lower middle point of the LCD screen as it only happens when it is pressed there.

Kindly let me know if this solves it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

I have had the same problem for a year now and of course it began right after the warranty ran out - I am not going to fight it because Dell does not really care about the little guys. So my best advice is throw it in the trash and buy yourself an IPad, they are reliable, versatile and have great customer service! For me I AM DONE WITH DELL, Have a Happy New Year

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I am having the same issue.  XPS15Z bought brand new direct from DELL back in 2011.  It's now Jan 2014, I started having this issue about two weeks ago.  The lower right portion of my XPS15z's screen has a darkening area.  The CTRL+ALT + arrows trick does nothing.  Updating chipset, drivers, or checking BIOS fixes or reveals nothing.  Changing power settings does nothing.   Running monitor color tests or cycling the background does nothing.  Gently pressing on the affected area changes nothing (thinking maybe there's damage where I can't see it under the laptop monitor frame - but no).  Tried to see if this appeared while plugged in versus while just on battery - no difference - it persists regardless of battery or plugged in.  Nothing in event logs about display issues either.  NVidia reports nothing.  Changing the display configuration (NVidia versus onboard Intel graphics) for video, does nothing.  System diagnostics (DELL) say everything is working fine (including display adapter).  This laptop has never sustained any damage or needed to be repaired at any time.  I have run other 3rd party diagnostics packages against everything in the system, all components from the motherboard outward check out A OK.  Power adapter, battery, all are ok.  I am an IT professional with many years experience working on and troubleshooting desktops and laptops.  Have to say, this one stumps me.  I have not yet tried to disassemble this laptop to check video connections such as those that go through the hinges or are concealed under the edges of LCD, will post back when I get time to do that or if I find anything else.

*TO DELL* - if there are this many people having this problem with XPS15z's, it's fair to say you at least have a problem common to this model, and quite likely a manufacturing defect.  Warranty or no, you should look into this.  It would also be fair to ask if other DELL laptop models experience this issue and to find out why.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

To Jessalyn - I agree with one big exception - you shouldn't look at this as a PC vs Mac thing (don't blame you for being upset about it - I am too!).  For those of us who have this issue and it never goes away, I think it's likely a hardware issue - video adapter, LCD, or connectivity.  The same hardware components that go into Apple systems are often used in PCs and vice versa, for instance they all use Intel processors now (whereas Apple used to make their own CPUs - not any more).  For example, many MacBooks actually use NVidia video hardware inside, and matter of fact there was (maybe still is) a class action lawsuit against Apple for failures of the NVidia video hardware in those.  Could be the same thing with these XPS15z laptops, same video hardware, just happens to be in a PC form factor instead of Mac.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

I use this laptop almost everyday. I have tried to figure it out and these were my observations:

1. Sometimes the dark shadow comes and sometimes it be there.

2. When it's not there and I touch the middle part of my laptop's screen (where the Dell logo is) the dark screen pops up.

3. When I tilt my laptop screen as though I want to close it up I then type "Alt + Ctrl + down Arrow" then "Alt + Ctrl + up Arrow" the dark screen disappears. (You would have to tilt the screen to about 45 degrees to your keypad)

4. Once the dark shadow disappears and I touch the middle base part of he screen it pops the dark screen. Simply doing the "Alt +....." solves it again.

5. I could say it's a software issue or even hardware. I guess it's a mix.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

True. Sometimes it comes and goes.

For me, sometimes, it dissapears as soon as I do the Ctrl+Alt trick, then changing the frequency from 60Hz to 40Hz (or from 40 to 60). I would say, 6 or 7 times of each 10.

Dell, are you hearing?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

I began experiencing this same issue a few days ago and at first, thought it was simply a shadow from an object where I was sitting. After finally finding this discussion forum, I tried the Ctrl+Alt+arrow suggestion and thus far, it has been successful (at least for now). However, almost immediately after, two very small white dots appeared on the right side of the screen. One appears to be located where the "shadow" begins at the bottom and the other is more towards the bottom of the screen.

I purchased this computer in 2012 and rely on it for both work and personal use. 

Obviously, it is a computer issue so why hasn't Dell addressed the problem??????? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I have the same issue, and it's in the exact spot.  This isn't the first time either.  The first time it happened was about 8 months after I bought the computer.  It was in the same spot as well, but got progressively worse.   It was still under warranty, and the Dell tech came out and replaced the screen (along with the HDD).  Now the problem is back.  

With all the problems I've had with this less than 2-year-old computer, I'll never buy or recommend a Dell to anyone. 

Highlighted
2 Bronze

I had to pay to have it fixed, got a new lid/LCD out of the deal, but this is a common and reoccurring problem with these laptops it would seem.  In my mind, that puts DELL on the hook for a wider quality control problem.  They've had issues like this before, but too often they let them linger, don't address them, and then it becomes a major PR nightmare for them if not a lawsuit (like the capacitor issue a while back).  Anyone with any business sense knows that if you let quality control issues dominate your brand and don't effectively deal with them (resolve them, not ignore or sweep them under the rug) you lose your business, period.  DELL are you listening?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Ok...not that it will matter to Dell, but let me throw in my 2 cents as well. Same issue (exactly like the picture). I paid for the extended warranty on mine, which just expired and then this popped up. It is obviously a defect that Dell should handle. I am waiting to see if there is a REAL response from Dell to cover this. If not then this will be my last Dell like many others on this post. 

Too bad too...I have managed several companies where we purchased Dells exclusively for our employees. The quality used to be exceptional and they would respond to issues like this that were so obviously defects. I guess that has changed?

Hello...Dell? Are you out there?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Hello, this problem has happened AGAIN on my laptop. This is the 3rd screen I've had with both replacements under warranty (the whole upper assembly/lid was replaced both times). This problem is quite common as we've seen in this thread, also see thread:

This is obviously a problem with the XPS 15z laptop. Is there any PERMANENT fix or am I doomed to replacing the screen every year or two?
Highlighted
Not applicable

This has happened to me twice already and they replaced the screen.  It is happening again.  I am just starting to get the gray shadow every once in awhile.  It is really disappointing because now I am out of warranty when obviously this is an issue with dell's quality.   Very disappointing.  The last two times I had this happen it was about a year apart.   They tried to troubleshoot it but the problem is with the screen.

Extremely disappointed with the quality of this laptop.  I don't want to have to pay for something that is a dell issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Just wanted to jump in here and say that I as well have a XPS 15Z and I have had the same problem with my screen as everyone else here. I have also had to replace the motherboard/DC in jack and have had numerous other issues, the latest being it won't recognize the battery and will only work when plugged in. I took it to two different PC repair services and no one can figure it out.

Around the same time I bought an Inspiron all in one desktop and that was a complete lemon as well.  CD/DVD drive stopped working, I had to have the motherboard replaced THREE times, needed a new hard drive, etc. all within the first year so at least repairs were covered. Needless to say my faith in this company's products is totally destroyed.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Hi all,

I have had this intermittant shadow but directly at the centre of the bottom of the screen. It came on suddenly in the last couple of days but has disappeared at times when restarting the machine.

So I did what the dell post above suggested: to hold the D button when it re-started. There was no shadow on the screen in any of the colours and a clear screen for the last twenty minutes.

So, the post above suggests I do not need a new LCD for my  XLS15z.

What else could the problem be? I am happy to try to fix it myself as the laptop is out of warranty.

Thanks,

Gail

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hi, I seem to be having the same problem as all of you here. I just wanted to see if there's been any updates. My xps seems to be further along the timeline because about a fourth of my screen is darker than the rest.

For a while, the whole screen didn't light up at all. I changed the resolution and that helped a bit.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

No help from Dell.  I got frustrated and gave up trying to get help.  Dell doesn't seem to think that there is any issue even though this is the third time it's happen to me and there are lots of others dealing with the issue.   I know that I won't purchase a Dell again after this mess.  I am just using it with the shadow.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

i thought it was only me! thanks anyway

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I cannot believe this is happening with my XPS15z again.  About a year ago, I had dark shadow appear at the lower right of the screen.  I got a new warranty and had DELL fix it by replacing the monitor and lid.  Today, around 1 year after it was replaced, I am getting the same shadow only this time it's along the upper right edge of my laptop's screen.  I still question why DELL never offered to recall these to fix this LCD shadow problem, it's blatantly obvious there's a quality control issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

<

ton of money just to keep the system at par so they can profit from us. Thanks Dell, you have made me a new believer in Mac products and I will not be going back to DELL again. Also please note that I will be telling everyone I know(and more) not to buy this over priced junk!! Also notice how the technician are always saying the same thing on this forum? It's like they are robots or something.. Their options are to bring it in for repair or use the out of warranty repair and give them all of your money and then they will fix your problem and then you will have another problem and then they can fix the next problem for more of your money... WOW thanks soo much!! I need to 

a href="www.felizpascoa2015.com/.../Novas-Mensagens-e-Frases-de-Pascoa-2015.html">Novas Mensagens e Frases de Feliz Páscoa 2015 </a>

<a href="www.felizpascoa2015.com/.../pascoa-2015-engracado-memes-trolls.html">Páscoa 2015 Engraçado memes, Trolls, Imagens</a>

<a href="www.felizpascoa2015.com/.../easter-bunny-pictures-images-2015.html">Easter Bunny Pictures - Images 2015 / easter imagens de coelho fotos</a>

Happy Easter 2015 {Feliz Páscoa 2015} WhatsApp mensagens de status deseja cumprimentos :: www.felizpascoa2015.com/.../happy-easter-2015-feliz-pascoa-2015.html

<a href="www.felizpascoa2015.com/.../melhor-pascoa-2015-tweets-twitter.html">Melhor Páscoa 2015 Tweets - Twitter deseja cumprimentos</a>

<a href="www.felizpascoa2015.com/.../hand-made-preschool-pascoa-cestas-crafts.html">Hand Made Preschool Páscoa Cestas Crafts</a>

<a href="www.felizpascoa2015.com/.../easter-bunny-pictures-images-2015.html">Easter Bunny Pictures - Images 2015 / easter imagens de coelho fotos</a>

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

I have had the shadow in the bottom right of the screen almost from the start when I purchased in early 2012.  About 6 months ago, the LCD started with another issue where the screen is no longer visible.  It still is working as verified by shining a flashlight on the screen to see what is on and by connecting to an external monitor.  It is currently working and BIST says that the screen is OK.  BIST says that the processor fan is running too fast (Error 2000-0512 46836).  The fan has always run for a long time and loud.  I am wondering 

a. if the processor fan has fouled the LCD and

b. whether it is worth replacing the LCD as there seem to be many people having this issue.

It is disappointing to have a laptop not function as a laptop so early in its life.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Geez! I stumbled in this forum trying to find answers too!! I agree with thenatmann! Mine is just over 2 yes and seriously i wasnt expecting any damage at all!  Really regret buying DELL! Did u guys find any oter solution??

0 Kudos