Owen1229
1 Copper

Dell XPS 15z Latop screen dark shadow problem

Hi, I have a Dell XPS 15z laptop.  I was typing on my laptop today when out of no where, a dark shadow abruptly emerged on the right side of my laptop screen.  At first I thought it was a glare, but when I tilted the screen I realized it looked like something went wrong with either the screen, backlight, etc. I unfortunately can't include a screen shot of the shadow because it doesn't show up that way. However I included a picture I took with my phone that might help explain my problem

Any recommendation, advise or help is greatly appreciated Smiley Happy 

0 Kudos
39 Replies

Re: Dell XPS 15z Latop screen dark shadow problem

Hi Owen1229,

Welcome to the community.

Please check the link below which would help you resolve this issue:

http://dell.to/WMHJCt

Also, check the laptop with external display to isolate the cause of the issue.

Kindly perform these steps and let us know, so we can advise you further.

Thanks and Regards
Sandeep P
#iworkfordell

Thanks and Regards
Sandeep P
#iworkfordell

To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US Customers; UK Customers; India Customers. For Dell support videos click Here.

0 Kudos
Owen1229
1 Copper

I checked with the things you provided me with and it seems to be the actual laptop screen with the problem

0 Kudos

Hi Owen1229,

I appreciate the time and effort that you took to troubleshoot the issue. Please let us know if the issue occurs on a external display as well.

If you have any further queries, please feel free to contact us.

Thanks and Regards
Sandeep P
#iworkfordell

Thanks and Regards
Sandeep P
#iworkfordell

To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US Customers; UK Customers; India Customers. For Dell support videos click Here.

0 Kudos
Owen1229
1 Copper

The issue does not occur on the external display. It only occurs on the laptop screen.

0 Kudos

Hi Owen1229,

I appreciate the time and effort that you took to troubleshoot the issue. LCD of the system would require replacement.  

If the system is under warranty then please contact me through a private message by clicking on my name highlighted in blue. On the next page, click the envelope icon and provide your service tag and contact information so I may access your system records.

And, if the system is out of warranty then you contact our Expired Warranty Support at the link below:

http://dell.to/YJeelQ

If you have any further queries please feel free to contact us.

Thanks and Regards
Sandeep P
#iworkfordell

Thanks and Regards
Sandeep P
#iworkfordell

0 Kudos
plipke
1 Copper

I have the same problem occurring in the same location, but only intermittently so far.

What have you learned about a fix?

0 Kudos
Owen1229
1 Copper

I haven't learned anything about it so far. The Dell guys on the forums haven't given me any actual helpful info yet.  For me the problem was on-and-off at first but my guess is your "shadow" will be the same as mine and keep reappearing at a more and more consistent rate until it eventually will just always be there from the moment you turn on the laptop to the time you shut it off.

If you learn anything please let me know!

I have a feeling the problem is a broken LED behind the screen or something of that nature

0 Kudos
9 Rhodium

This looks like damage to the screen or the reflector behind it - one way or another, the screen needs to be replaced.

0 Kudos

Hi plipke,

Welcome to the community.

Kindly follow the steps in the link below:

http://dell.to/WMHJCt

You can isolate the issue by connected the system to a external monitor and let us know the results.

If you have any further queries, please feel free to contact us.

Thanks and Regards
Sandeep P
#iworkfordell

Thanks and Regards
Sandeep P
#iworkfordell

0 Kudos