Highlighted

Re: Dell XPS 15z Latop screen dark shadow problem

Hi Owen1229,

As advised LCD of the system is faulty and requires replacement. If the system is under warranty we can arrange it to be replaced.  Kindly contact me through a private message by clicking on my name highlighted in blue. On the next page, click the envelope icon and provide your service tag and contact information so I may access your system records.

And, if the system is out of warranty then you contact our Expired Warranty Support at the link below:

http://dell.to/12LmNBq

If you have any further queries please feel free to contact us.

Thanks and Regards
Sandeep P
#iworkfordell

Thanks and Regards
Sandeep P
#iworkfordell

To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US Customers; UK Customers; India Customers. For Dell support videos click Here.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

The link you have posted says the article is unavailable.

This EXACT problem has begun occurring with my laptop also.

I have a Dell XPS 15z

I have kept my laptop is immaculate condition, it has never been dropped, knocked or anything and now this dark shadow on the right side of my screen has occurred. It is in the EXACT same place as Owen's, what are the chances?

Can you please research a solution Dell team?

I have had this laptop for almost two years and it has been a good machine and, as you will know, was very expensive. I think two years is a little early to have to replace the screen? surely? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

I have the exact same problem! There must be some kind of common screen issue with the Dell XPS 15z...I mean what are the chances that 4+ people would have the same screen shadow in the SAME place? I've always been extremely careful with my laptop so it's not like it's been damaged. I don't understand this. I don't think it's fair that we have to pay hundreds of dollars to have our screens replaced when it isn't even our fault. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi TheJessalyn,

We will have to perform the ‘LCD BIST’ (Built in Self-test) on the computer. Please follow the steps mentioned below to run the “LCD BIST’.

1. Turn of the computer.
  2. Press and hold down the ‘D’ key on the keyboard and press the Power button.
  3. You will see different colors on the LCD screen. Please check if you still see the shadow on the screen.

If you see the shadow on the screen while the LCD bist is running you will have to replace the LCD.

In addition, I would advise you to connect an external display and check for the issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

RE: Dell XPS 15z Latop screen dark shadow problem

Hi, did you manage to get dell to replace the display? I have the same problem but have had my XPS 15z for just over 2 years.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Mine too has the exact same problem. I just happened to be out of warranty for about 6 months (which is convenient) and I did all of the mentioned tests to see if it was the LCD and guess what.. It is the LCD and in the exact position as everyone else's. Now I have to buy an out of warranty repair? That is bogus because I already spent almost $1100 on the laptop itself and I am broke. I looked on ebay, they sell just the lcd part for $60 but I would  have to repair it myself, which I have never done before, but it may be worth the risk since DELL wants more than $200 plus a bunch of other fees for a faulty LCD that is obviously their fault for manufacturing a cheap <ADMIN NOTE: Substitute character removed as per TOU> monitor. I feel like Dell put together a super cheap machine and we are left forking out a <ADMIN NOTE: Substitute character removed as per TOU> ton of money just to keep the system at par so they can profit from us. Thanks Dell, you have made me a new believer in Mac products and I will not be going back to DELL again. Also please note that I will be telling everyone I know(and more) not to buy this over priced junk!! Also notice how the technician are always saying the same thing on this forum? It's like they are robots or something.. Their options are to bring it in for repair or use the out of warranty repair and give them all of your money and then they will fix your problem and then you will have another problem and then they can fix the next problem for more of your money... WOW thanks soo much!! I need to get a job at Dell because you guys are obviously hording most of our money because there is definitely almost non going into R&D for better products!!

Highlighted
Not applicable

I don't have a solution to the problem, but I just wanted to add my name to the list of people who have the same issue in the exact same spot.  It appeared last week, which unfortunately was only six weeks after my warranty expired.  It just appeared magically.  It wasn't there when I closed the lid, and then it appeared when I reopened it two hours later.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

It's ridiculous. Never again will I buy from Dell--I am officially a Macbook person. It's unfortunate because they would have saved much more money (and reputation) in the long run by just fixing our screens when it was obviously a mass manufacturing issue...Because now they are going to lose business from not only us, but all the people we advise not to purchase Dell products. So rather than losing less than $1k and causing us to be able to tell others how great of service they have, they are instead taking the low path and will end up losing thousands upon thousands of dollars worth of laptops that we would have purchased in the future/would have recommended others to purchase in the future. 

Mark my words, I will never allow a person I care about to make the same mistake I did. Trust me...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

I bought a Dell XPS 15Z in March 2012 and the one year warranty expired in March 2013. It has been about 8 months since the warranty expired and I have exactly the same problem. The bottom right corner of the screen is dark. 

I purchased this laptop as a spare laptop and I have sparingly used this. It has sat on my home office desk all this time and it has never ever been physically damaged or dropped. No liquid damage or any other sort of damage. I have not even traveled with this laptop. It has always been connected to a surge protected outlet too.

This laptop model is definitely a bad quality product from Dell. I have totally lost confidence in Dell's quality. Customer Support could not help, even after several escalations. They simply claim that the warranty has expired and I have not purchased a warranty extension, hence I have to pay in excess of $250.00 to get the LCD replaced by Dell.

They even proceeded to tell me to go to Geek Squad at Best Buy to get it fixed. I was appalled by this. They also said there has not been any recalls issued on laptops of this model.

There definitely is a serious quality issue with this product as several others that have this model have very similar issue. 

I urge someone at Dell corporate to get involved and take responsibility for the quality of their products.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

I got a simple solution. Once you notice the shadow type the following "ALT + CTRL + Downward Arrow" then press "ALT + CTRL + Upward Arrow" .

Simply rotate your screen digitally and it resets it.

I guess it solves it. The error seems to come from the lower middle point of the LCD screen as it only happens when it is pressed there.

Kindly let me know if this solves it.

0 Kudos