Highlighted
Not applicable

RE: Dell XPS 15z Latop screen dark shadow problem

I have had the same problem for a year now and of course it began right after the warranty ran out - I am not going to fight it because Dell does not really care about the little guys. So my best advice is throw it in the trash and buy yourself an IPad, they are reliable, versatile and have great customer service! For me I AM DONE WITH DELL, Have a Happy New Year

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I am having the same issue.  XPS15Z bought brand new direct from DELL back in 2011.  It's now Jan 2014, I started having this issue about two weeks ago.  The lower right portion of my XPS15z's screen has a darkening area.  The CTRL+ALT + arrows trick does nothing.  Updating chipset, drivers, or checking BIOS fixes or reveals nothing.  Changing power settings does nothing.   Running monitor color tests or cycling the background does nothing.  Gently pressing on the affected area changes nothing (thinking maybe there's damage where I can't see it under the laptop monitor frame - but no).  Tried to see if this appeared while plugged in versus while just on battery - no difference - it persists regardless of battery or plugged in.  Nothing in event logs about display issues either.  NVidia reports nothing.  Changing the display configuration (NVidia versus onboard Intel graphics) for video, does nothing.  System diagnostics (DELL) say everything is working fine (including display adapter).  This laptop has never sustained any damage or needed to be repaired at any time.  I have run other 3rd party diagnostics packages against everything in the system, all components from the motherboard outward check out A OK.  Power adapter, battery, all are ok.  I am an IT professional with many years experience working on and troubleshooting desktops and laptops.  Have to say, this one stumps me.  I have not yet tried to disassemble this laptop to check video connections such as those that go through the hinges or are concealed under the edges of LCD, will post back when I get time to do that or if I find anything else.

*TO DELL* - if there are this many people having this problem with XPS15z's, it's fair to say you at least have a problem common to this model, and quite likely a manufacturing defect.  Warranty or no, you should look into this.  It would also be fair to ask if other DELL laptop models experience this issue and to find out why.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

To Jessalyn - I agree with one big exception - you shouldn't look at this as a PC vs Mac thing (don't blame you for being upset about it - I am too!).  For those of us who have this issue and it never goes away, I think it's likely a hardware issue - video adapter, LCD, or connectivity.  The same hardware components that go into Apple systems are often used in PCs and vice versa, for instance they all use Intel processors now (whereas Apple used to make their own CPUs - not any more).  For example, many MacBooks actually use NVidia video hardware inside, and matter of fact there was (maybe still is) a class action lawsuit against Apple for failures of the NVidia video hardware in those.  Could be the same thing with these XPS15z laptops, same video hardware, just happens to be in a PC form factor instead of Mac.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

I use this laptop almost everyday. I have tried to figure it out and these were my observations:

1. Sometimes the dark shadow comes and sometimes it be there.

2. When it's not there and I touch the middle part of my laptop's screen (where the Dell logo is) the dark screen pops up.

3. When I tilt my laptop screen as though I want to close it up I then type "Alt + Ctrl + down Arrow" then "Alt + Ctrl + up Arrow" the dark screen disappears. (You would have to tilt the screen to about 45 degrees to your keypad)

4. Once the dark shadow disappears and I touch the middle base part of he screen it pops the dark screen. Simply doing the "Alt +....." solves it again.

5. I could say it's a software issue or even hardware. I guess it's a mix.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

True. Sometimes it comes and goes.

For me, sometimes, it dissapears as soon as I do the Ctrl+Alt trick, then changing the frequency from 60Hz to 40Hz (or from 40 to 60). I would say, 6 or 7 times of each 10.

Dell, are you hearing?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

I began experiencing this same issue a few days ago and at first, thought it was simply a shadow from an object where I was sitting. After finally finding this discussion forum, I tried the Ctrl+Alt+arrow suggestion and thus far, it has been successful (at least for now). However, almost immediately after, two very small white dots appeared on the right side of the screen. One appears to be located where the "shadow" begins at the bottom and the other is more towards the bottom of the screen.

I purchased this computer in 2012 and rely on it for both work and personal use. 

Obviously, it is a computer issue so why hasn't Dell addressed the problem??????? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I have the same issue, and it's in the exact spot.  This isn't the first time either.  The first time it happened was about 8 months after I bought the computer.  It was in the same spot as well, but got progressively worse.   It was still under warranty, and the Dell tech came out and replaced the screen (along with the HDD).  Now the problem is back.  

With all the problems I've had with this less than 2-year-old computer, I'll never buy or recommend a Dell to anyone. 

Highlighted
2 Bronze

I had to pay to have it fixed, got a new lid/LCD out of the deal, but this is a common and reoccurring problem with these laptops it would seem.  In my mind, that puts DELL on the hook for a wider quality control problem.  They've had issues like this before, but too often they let them linger, don't address them, and then it becomes a major PR nightmare for them if not a lawsuit (like the capacitor issue a while back).  Anyone with any business sense knows that if you let quality control issues dominate your brand and don't effectively deal with them (resolve them, not ignore or sweep them under the rug) you lose your business, period.  DELL are you listening?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Ok...not that it will matter to Dell, but let me throw in my 2 cents as well. Same issue (exactly like the picture). I paid for the extended warranty on mine, which just expired and then this popped up. It is obviously a defect that Dell should handle. I am waiting to see if there is a REAL response from Dell to cover this. If not then this will be my last Dell like many others on this post. 

Too bad too...I have managed several companies where we purchased Dells exclusively for our employees. The quality used to be exceptional and they would respond to issues like this that were so obviously defects. I guess that has changed?

Hello...Dell? Are you out there?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Hello, this problem has happened AGAIN on my laptop. This is the 3rd screen I've had with both replacements under warranty (the whole upper assembly/lid was replaced both times). This problem is quite common as we've seen in this thread, also see thread:

This is obviously a problem with the XPS 15z laptop. Is there any PERMANENT fix or am I doomed to replacing the screen every year or two?