Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 14th, 2013 12:00

Dell XPS 15z never charges to full..!

I have got Dell XPS 15z laptop, the problem is its not charging to FULLEST ? charger is absolutely fine charging is also done on another laptop without any issue but when i plug in my lapy initially it charges like it shows the charging indications (filling up of battery with the plugged in symbol at bottom right corner of laptop) but after few seconds only plugged in symbol is shown and no signs of charging..!

It never charges to full..! when i click on the the battery it shows only 27% available.

does some on have same problem, any resolution to this very issue ?

15 Posts

October 21st, 2013 13:00

Yes Dell makes it really easy to upgrade the BIOS on the motherboard When you run the software it checks your current setup and will tell you whether or not your system is compatible and if not it won't try to install it.  I have upgraded BIOS versions of several dell laptops both Inspiron and XPS with no issues.  Make sure your power adapter is connected to the laptop because it won't do the upgrade without it.  What color is the battery status light on the laptop?  They all vary based on the generation of laptop you have if it's older than 2012 usually it will be the following Solid blue fully charged/on battery (battery charge is not low).  Solid orange/red battery is low save all work and prepare to connect charger blinking orange battery is critically low (machine will enter hibernation soon).  My brother had an old Dell Inspiron 1521 that the battery went bad on and the battery light would constantly flash orange/red even with the charger connected and would shut off the instant the plug was disconnected.  Beforehand he was getting pop up messages from the battery indicator in Windows that would say "Your battery needs to be replaced!"  Hope this information helps out. 

1.3K Posts

October 23rd, 2013 13:00

Hi Deversh,

Thank you for your reply.

I understand how frustrating that can be. However, you can work on the laptop with the AC Adapter connected to the computer. Save your data periodically while working online so that in case of a power outage, you do not lose important data.

Additionally, you may find the link below helpful for tips on how to preserve battery life. You can use the tips mentioned in the link for the replacement battery once you have purchased the same.

How to preserve Battery life on Dell notebooks?: http://dell.to/HbvHBq

Please feel free to contact us in case you have further queries.

Thanks & regards,
Babita S
#iworkforDell
To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region ->
US Customers; UK Customers; India Customers. For Dell support videos click Here

15 Posts

October 23rd, 2013 14:00

Just wanted to see how your search for a replacement battery is going. They can be expensive but if your system is not under warranty I would suggest going to amazon.com and search for laptop batteries.  They will list the battery and what laptops it's compatible with Make sure the XPS 15z is listed.  I found a replacement battery for my brother's laptop for $28 and the funny thing was it was an extended battery. I don't know if they were knock off batteries since it didn't say Dell on it but if you are ok with the use of non-Dell batteries it will save you some money. 

1.3K Posts

October 14th, 2013 13:00

Hi Deversh,

Please click on the link below for AC Adapter Not Powering on the Computer or Charging the Battery issues:

http://dell.to/GXOyAb

Additionally, update the BIOS for your computer by clicking on the link below in order to resolve this issue.

Product Support for XPS 15z (L511z): http://dell.to/1fxQ2ze

Click on this Youtube link for a video on how to update your Dell PC's BIOS in 99 Seconds:  http://dell.to/1fGmlNu

Follow instructions mentioned below prior to the BIOS update.

• Ensure that the AC Adapter is connected to the computer prior to the BIOS update.
  • Disconnect any third party peripherals connected to the computer before performing BIOS update.
  • Remove any cd/dvd from the optical drive prior to the BIOS update.
  • Do not turn off the computer during the BIOS update.
  • Do not restart the computer during the BIOS update.
  • Ensure battery charge is more than 10% during BIOS update.

Note: Plug your computer to a good, working wall jack before you update the BIOS. If you experience a loss of AC power or a significant voltage sag/spike during the BIOS flash, you will either have to replace the BIOS chip or motherboard.

Please keep us posted on the results.

Thanks & regards,
Babita S
#iworkforDell
To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region ->

7 Posts

October 16th, 2013 00:00

Hi Babita, firstly many thanks for the early reply for my queries..!

I had check my BIOS version it shows as 'Dell Inc, A02' and if i go Dell website and to 'Drivers & Downloads' & then 'BIOS' there are two options one is for BIOS version A06 & the other is A12 so does that mean that i will have to first run the A06 version of BIOS upgrade & later A12 version ? or directly running A12 version will do ?

Also how come the upgrading the BIOS will solve issue ? I mean before the charging going on smoothly where laptop used to get charged to 100% and how come upgrading the BIOS will get issue solved ?

1.3K Posts

October 16th, 2013 08:00

Hi Deversh,

You may install the latest version of the BIOS no matter what previous version you have installed. They do not need to be installed in order as each new version includes changes from all previous versions. The update contains feature enhancements or changes that will help keep your system software current and compatible with other system modules (firmware, BIOS, drivers and software). You can check the troubleshooting steps below to determine exact point of failure.

Check the adapter status in BIOS:

• Restart your computer with the AC adapter plugged in.
  • Press the F2 key repeatedly when you see the Dell logo screen and before Windows starts to open the BIOS Setup Utility. Note: If the BIOS Setup Utility doesn’t appear, wait until the Windows logon prompt appears. Then restart your computer and try again.
  • Under the Main Tab of the BIOS Setup Utility, look for AC Adapter Type.
  • Disconnect the AC adapter from your computer.
  • If the AC Adapter Type status is None, reconnect the AC adapter.
  •  With the AC adapter reconnected, if the AC Adapter Type status is Unknown, your AC Adapter is faulty and needs to be replaced.

Determine if the laptop battery is working properly:

• Restart your computer.
  • After restarting, look for the battery icon in the notification area of the taskbar on the lower-right side of the screen.
  • Right-click the battery icon and select Dell Battery Health Meter.
  • Click Battery Health.
  • If the battery health status is End Of Life, then the laptop battery needs to be replaced.

Note: The battery is covered under warranty for one year from the original date of invoice regardless of the number of years of the warranty on your computer. If purchased separately, the battery will be covered under warranty for one year from the date of the invoice.
If the battery health status is normal but the battery will still not charge, go to the Drivers and Downloads page by clickking on the link below  and update the BIOS.

Product Support for XPS 15z (L511z):  http://dell.to/1fxQ2ze

Click on the link below for an article which explains how to download and install the latest version of the BIOS (system setup) for your Dell computer.

How Do I Download and Install the Latest BIOS Version for my Dell Computer?: http://dell.to/GR3Ndj

Click on this Youtube link for a video on how to update your Dell PC's BIOS in 99 Seconds:  http://dell.to/1fGmlNu

Once the BIOS has been updated, check if the system is getting charged normally or you are still facing the issue. Please keep us posted on the results.

Thanks & regards,
Babita S
#iworkforDell

7 Posts

October 16th, 2013 12:00

Hi Babita,

I had checked the settings as per your comment below -

- Check the adapter status in BIOS

- Determine if the laptop battery is working properly

both the health of battery and the charger are perfect no problem at all..!

also I had updated my system's BIOS from A02 to A12 but no luck..! :emotion-6:

I had checked into BIOS setup if it got updated & yes it did it shows A12 now.

But issue still remains same laptop not getting charged to the FULLEST (i.e. 100%). when i actually plug in the charger initially it shows the battery getting charged (for 3-4 times) with the plug symbol and later only plug symbol gets displayed...!

when i click on the battery to very right bottom of the display to which i see its 29% available it doesn't increase the percentage more than that even the charger is plugged in for 6 hrs or so...!

Any other steps to go through for further resolution of the issue...?

1.3K Posts

October 16th, 2013 13:00

Hi Deversh,

Thank you for completing the troubleshooting steps and updating the BIOS as requested. Unfortunately, it does not seem to have resolved the issue for you. Run the PC Diagnostics on the battery by clicking on the link below to diagnose and determine exact point of failure:

http://dell.to/173quHH

Please reply with results for further assistance.

Thanks & regards,
Babita S
#iworkforDell

7 Posts

October 19th, 2013 04:00

Hi Babita,

I had trying to run PC Diagnostic from last couple of days but it never completes the it just stops processing further after completion of three sub tasks as shown in picture below even by keeping laptop on overnight..

But one test which i did performed is while starting computer pressing F12 and then going to Diagnostics performing the Diagnostic Test (which also tests the battery ) which gives 'battery health as 84%' and battery charge as 28% so does that indicate something ?

1.3K Posts

October 21st, 2013 09:00

Hi Deversh,

Since you have checked the AC Adapter on a different laptop and it works fine, try connecting a known good, compatible battery to this system. Does it complete charging or stop again? If you can check with a different battery, it will help us determine if the fault is with the battery or the connector on the motherboard.

If the other battery works fine, you may have to replace the battery.

Normally, notebook batteries are covered with One (1) year warranty support (from purchase date), however, some customers purchase an optional Three (3) year warranty support for their battery. Check the warranty support you have on the battery by clicking on the link below:

Notebook Battery Warranty Support: http://dell.to/16qrGzd

If the system is in warranty, please contact me through private message. To send me a private message, click on my DELL-username and then click "Send a Private Message". Provide your service tag and contact information (as mentioned below) so that I may access your system records.

• System Service Tag No.:
  • Registered System Owner's Name:
  • Shipping address:
  • Telephone number/s:
  • Email address:

In case the system is over a year old and the battery is faulty, you may purchase the battery online by clicking on the link below and selecting your system model or service tag number.

Dell Parts & Upgrades: http://dell.to/1eEanzU

Please keep us posted on the results.

Thanks & regards,
Babita S
#iworkforDell

7 Posts

October 21st, 2013 12:00

Hi Babita,

You are correct, probably today is not good day for me..! my laptop finally gave up and at very evening when i accessed my laptop it gave me notification to change the battery and its not working anymore..! :emotion-9: 

When i unplug my adapter cord the laptop shuts down abruptly..

I had purchased this master piece :emotion-12: few years back and the warranty is no more available Service Tag : <ADMIN NOTE: Service tag removed per privacy policy> (expired)

So finally this Diwali i will have to gift myself not jeans not shirt but the battery of laptop..!<ADMIN NOTE: Substitute character removed as per TOU>

I had also visited the link above and it costs me 142.79 USD which is 142.79 * 60 = 8567.4 INR (hell this is the only time when rupee was supposed to depreciate).

One last question to you - what if i continue using my laptop which is Dell XPS 15z without replacing battery..?

thanks Babita for your kind support in troubleshooting your suggestions were helpful and appreciable..! :emotion-1:

regards,

Deversh

7 Posts

October 23rd, 2013 01:00

Hi there,

I am getting the same problem what your brother is getting which means I will have to change the battery till then will have to user it like desktop by connecting adapter cord.

1.3K Posts

October 23rd, 2013 13:00

Hi Gbcmedia2012,

Thank you for sharing your experiences with us. You have correctly explained the various stages of the battery LED indicator status and  how it affects the battery performance.

We hope your computer/s are working fine now. Please feel free to contact us if you have further queries, we would be happy to help.

Thanks & regards,
Babita S
#iworkforDell

7 Posts

October 25th, 2013 09:00

Hi GBCMEDIA2012,

How good is to use non-Dell batteries means are those quiet efficient ? well as Dell batteries would be twice as costly as any other non-branded one ?

15 Posts

October 25th, 2013 10:00

They are just as safe and just as efficient. Dell and the other laptop manufacturers get their batteries from other companies. I had a Dell Inspiron 8500 that  while the battery had the Dell branding on it was actually manufactured by Sony. i can't guarantee you will find a battery for your laptop as cheap as what I did but the battery will have its own warranty and I have been a customer of Amazon.com since 2001 and have had great experiences with them as far as customer service and returning or exchanging items is concerned. 

No Events found!