Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 18th, 2011 14:00

Dell XPS 15z no audio output through HDMI

I am having problems getting an audio output from my LG tv through a HDMI connection. My laptop is able to detect the tv and had no problem displaying the video. There is no "HDMI output" option available in the playback devices list under audio options. I have tested the hdmi cable with 2 other dell laptops (studio 15 and inspiron 14). Both are able to deliver a sound output through the tv. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

April 15th, 2012 14:00

I would try "rollback driver" and see if it works again with the previous version you had.

April 15th, 2012 15:00

Sadly this hasn't worked.  I've tried to either rollback or update the drivers of my soundcard too in case it's that, with nothing available.  Guess I'll just use a separate audio cable through the line-out.  Thanks anyway.

April 15th, 2012 15:00

Thanks.  I'll give that a shot.  Been looking for a way to reinstall a previous version.

25 Posts

October 21st, 2012 15:00

THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!!

August 7th, 2013 04:00

I'm still having this issue. xps 15 was having no problem playing audio through hdmi about two weeks ago and all of a sudden it stopped. I've tried setting the hdmi as the default sound but it wont allow me to do so. When the hdmi connects it shows video but the audio only plays on the laptop.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

August 7th, 2013 06:00

All of my tips are now collected in the HDMI Audio FAQ.

HDMI audio is a function of the graphics driver. Your XPS 15 (there are 3 different models with that name) probably has dual graphics, for example an integrated Intel as part of the processor, and a discrete nVidia. I would try updating the drivers for each (right click on the driver in Device Manager and "update") then make the connections as described in the FAQ, then look in the Sound properties Playback tab for HDMI audio (right click and make sure that show disconnected and disabled devices are checked).

4 Posts

August 9th, 2013 09:00

Great!  You got what I accidentally discovered a couple days ago (after a year of struggles.)

Running Inspiron 660 under Windows 7, full updates.

My problem is that the tv is in the living room.  I really need sound out of both channels simultaneously, since I am using "clone display" in order to operate from either my office or my easy chair!  Any ideas on how to turn on both sound channels??

4 Posts

August 14th, 2013 12:00

Then go to "sound"  in control panel and make HDMI the "Default Device".

September 5th, 2013 06:00

It wont set. Ive tried updating and even setting defaults but the only way it plays is through the laptop itself. Ive even tried the headphones jack but only one side plays and also tried a USB headset to see if that worked and that wont even play sound through that. Its having the same issue as the HDMI plug in.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

September 5th, 2013 07:00

Ive even tried the headphones jack but only one side plays and also tried a USB headset to see if that worked and that wont even play sound through that.

With all of the other audio issues you are having maybe you should start a new thread on the Laptop Audio board to have some discussion about them.

2 Posts

January 13th, 2014 13:00

Go to your control panel and open Dell Audio (not your regular Sound icon)

Click the advanced tab.

Disable Power Save.

September 16th, 2014 01:00

hi,

my name is suresh. i voice is not going from my laptop. but i am get other voice from skp. but my voice not going. please send me the solutions. by that i can solve my problem.

thank's

suresh

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

September 16th, 2014 07:00

my name is suresh. i voice is not going from my laptop. but i am get other voice from skp. but my voice not going. please send me the solutions. by that i can solve my problem.

Hello Suresh. This thread is about HDMI audio on the XPS 15z model. If your question is about microphone or a different model, please start a new thread.

Include the full model name of your laptop.

Include the name of the operating system it has.

If English is not your native language, I suggest that you write your question in your native tongue and we can use Google Translate to translate it into English.

1 Message

April 13th, 2017 05:00

www.youtube.com/watch   ..Follow this link . It fixed mine.

No Events found!