Cinas
1 Copper

Re: Dell XPS 15z no audio output through HDMI

I think it has somthing to do with software conflicts etc. Mine was working ok when I bought it and lost my HDMI sound after I installed couple drivers and softwares. If I only knew which one is to blame.

0 Kudos
Kriskook
1 Copper

Same computer, exact same problem, there seems to be no available option other than the default Realtek HD Audio device (and yes, I am showing and looked for disconnected devices) ... have you had any success finding a solution?

0 Kudos
BlackPie
2 Bronze

You should visit NVIDIA control panel. There is an option there, under display, to configure HDMI sound.

XPS 15z  BIOS A12 │Intel Core i7 2620M8 GB │ nVidia GeForce 525M│ 256Gb SSD │ Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 X64

0 Kudos
Kriskook
1 Copper

You should visit NVIDIA control panel. There is an option there, under display, to configure HDMI sound.

I guess it helps if the NVIDIA driver is installed... doh! don't I feel like an idiot...

Downloaded driver and most recent update from the Dell web-site and it works just fine. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction...

0 Kudos
rniewijk
1 Copper

I can join you in the idiot corner.  I was looking for a hard, obscure problem and solution, when the problem was actually easy:  when plugged into the TV, I needed to go into Control Panel / Sounds and set the TV to "default device."  That's it.

0 Kudos
Rabid Raccoon
1 Copper

I'm having the same issue now.  I'm sure it used to work fine in the past, now I've tried again and I have no audio through HDMI.  I've tried all of the following tips above and am getting nowhere.  In audio playback options, I only have "speakers" (as in the laptop speakers) as an audio option, I've made sure disabled options are visible, I've been in the NVIDA control panel and specifically made sure that "HDMI (with audio)" is highlighted and still can't get my laptop to discover that there is a TV attached WITH audio.

I have updated my nvidia drivers recently and like I say, I'm sure I've had it working with no problems in the past, so can only think this is the problem.  Can anyone else confirm whether it stopped working for them after updating drivers? 

Anything that's been discovered since would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Jim Coates
6 Gallium

I would try "rollback driver" and see if it works again with the previous version you had.

Jim Coates -- 15 years on the Dell Laptop Audio boards -- since 2/6/04 

0 Kudos
Rabid Raccoon
1 Copper

Thanks.  I'll give that a shot.  Been looking for a way to reinstall a previous version.

0 Kudos
Rabid Raccoon
1 Copper

Sadly this hasn't worked.  I've tried to either rollback or update the drivers of my soundcard too in case it's that, with nothing available.  Guess I'll just use a separate audio cable through the line-out.  Thanks anyway.

0 Kudos
krsram
1 Nickel

THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!!

0 Kudos