Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 17th, 2013 15:00

Dell XPS 15z : "Your battery is temporarily disabled. Please turn off your computer and try again when the unit is back to the operational temperature"

hi

last night i was working on my laptop, i realize my battery is low. so, i put it for charging..after a while i realized the battery is 75% charged so I disconnect it. and my laptop switches off.

later the laptop refused to turn on...so i reconnected the charger and the laptop turned on with the light that displays charging status (white light near the  screen-keyboard intersection) starts flickering in a cycle of 5 times...4 times orange and 1 time white...and this cycle continues till i use the laptop.

and this message is displayed when i go to BATTERY HEALTH option "Your battery is temporarily disabled. Please turn off your computer and try again when the unit is back to the operational temperature" my laptop is outta warranty...what should i do ? kindly help

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

June 17th, 2013 16:00

It looks like the AC adapter is fine then. You can either decide just to use the notebook with the ac adapter or the next thing will be to replace the battery. It isn't the easiest thing to replace the battery on the 15z. For instructions, here is a link to the service manual. If you aren't so good with computers you may wish to consider contacting tech support in your area and see what an out of warranty service would cost to have the battery replaced.

hi Terry B,

I followed ur instruction on enabling the AC adapter warnings..i continue getting the msg "Your battery is temporarily disabled. Please turn off your computer and try again when the unit is back to the operational temperature" "Strike F1 to continue, F2 to run setup the utility."

this time before system turns on.

now? what is the next step Terry B ?

pls help..

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

hchentanshankar,

Welcome to the community.

I am sorry to read that you are having this trouble.  The battery failing is the most likely culprit but you should check to see if there are any problems with either the notebook or Ac adapter before rushing out and replacing the battery.

I would start by checking the bios, start the system tapping F2 to enter the bios, you can also tap F12 and choose bios from the menu.  Once in the bios look for the option for AC adapter warnings, if they are disabled enable them and save changes. If there is a problem with the adapter you should start getting errors about the adapter.

If the Adapter seems alright, disconnect the battery from the system and power down the notebook.  Wait an hour or so and then replace the battery and restart the system and see if you continue to get the message.   If you can run the notebook on battery only allow the battery to fully discharge and then charge it again and see if the problem returns.

I know that this may not be possible short of buying a new battery but if possible try a power adapter and battery and see if the problem continues.  This way you can find out if the problem follows the battery the ac adapter or the notebook.

Please let me know what you find out.

TB

hi Terry B

thnx for ur suggestions. i'll try my luck and get back here to let u know whats the progress..

thnx again

June 17th, 2013 17:00

hi Terry B,

I really appreciate the help that too so fast and concrete. very well done ! thank you so much.

U forgot to send me the link u mentioned. pls send..i need it.

I am a student doing a masters in technology mechanical engineering. I need the battery back up for my presentations and in class. i have to get it replaced..no other option.

As this happened yesterday i contacted the dell technicians, they don't know how much the battery replacement costs nor they have a stock either. even a extended warranty doesn't cover battery replacement. disappointment !!

I am in Bangalore, INDIA and this laptop i got it friend a friend in Chicago when she was coming down to India.

I checked many websites and the cost of the battery original is $299. considering I m unemployed, still studying i m in deep trouble :(

Pls lemme know  the link wer i can get the cost of the battery replacement, even in US, i'll try something out..

and if any other ways to help my situation.

Thnx a lot Terry B. it was of great help.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

June 17th, 2013 17:00

Sorry about the link, it should be working now.  Unfortunately, the battery is expensive.  If you can get by with just using the AC adapter it should be alright but I understand that you being a student may make that difficult.

TB

2 Posts

January 30th, 2015 05:00

Hi,
i have the same problem of battery. AC work fine, so follow the suggests i buy a new battery but this still not work and problem remain the same. I have spend money for nothing so? :(

So now? what can i do? i have just try all i can 

My laptop: Dell Inspiron 17R 7720 SE

July 4th, 2015 00:00

Hi Guys . I had the same issue on my XPS 14, uninstalled all battery related drivers and issue is gone 

1 Message

November 11th, 2015 14:00

Same laptop, same problem. And I replaced my battery with an oem battery. Still saying the same message.... Did anyone ever figure out what's causing this?

1 Message

April 5th, 2016 21:00

Did anyone find a solution to this issue. Having the exact same problem. Updated BIOS, replaced battery, still the problem continues...

2 Posts

August 2nd, 2016 07:00

I called the dell support helpline. they told me that i will have to change my mother board which is proving out to be a costly affair.. Can the motherboard really be a problem. The message displayed to me was that to reset the ac adapter and allow the battery to come to nominal operating temperature. Can this issue be caused because i Didn't use my laptop for 8 consecutive days??

please help

3 Posts

January 4th, 2018 15:00

I just fixed mine with the SAME issue.  Unplug the laptop and take out your battery.  Power down.  By the way....I have already bought a new power cord and battery and to no avail, it did not work.  I went into bios and checked my ac adapter...they were already enabled.  I even checked my pin on my old and new power cords to make sure they were lined up perfectly centered.  My problem was such a simple fix.  My computer was given back to me as a family member got a newer model (from me and Dell) and so I got their older model.  Their was dust in the charging HOLE and battery compartment.  After all I had done, it only took a can of air to blow out the charging hole and battery compartment and WALA...it worked like a charm.Give it a try.

No Events found!