Highlighted
dvorberg
Copper

Dell XPS 16 (1645) system board replacement

Is it possible to get a replacement system board for a Dell XPS 16. My LCD screen is blank, and external monitor shows garbled images, so I am assuming the graphics chip is blown, and as it's integrated, I would need a new system board.

I am UK based, and am happy to fit myself.

0 Kudos
3 Replies

RE: Dell XPS 16 (1645) system board replacement

Hi,

Thank you for writing to us!

Kindly run complete diagnostics on the system to check for errors.

Provide us with the service tag and email address.

Thanks

Robin

DELL-Robin D
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
dvorberg
Copper

My service tag is <ADMIN NOTE: Service tag removed per privacy policy>

. I can't run any diagnostics as I have no screen display to use, internal or external, hence the reason I assume I have a graphics chip issue. Attached is the best I get on an external display

0 Kudos
ejn63
Diamond

There are a couple of different boards depending on whether you have Intel or ATI video -- you need to replace like for like in order to re-use the existing heatsink-fan assembly.  You can find the exact specifications for your system by using the service tag at the Dell support site in the UK, and then search for a replacement.  It's unlikely you'll find Dell has parts for a system this old -- though others no doubt will have refurbished boards.

Finding a new board for a system this old is going to be impossible - and given the likely cost of a replacement board and the age of the system, you may want to consider replacing rather than repairing this one.

0 Kudos