Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 6th, 2011 01:00

Dell XPS 17 USB SS ports not working on Startup

I have a new Dell XPs 17 laptop and have an issue that the two USB SS ports on the rear of the machine are not recognising anything when I startup. Have tried mouse, keyboard, headset, usb display.

If I restart the pc the ports work fine.Also the other two USB ports work fine all the time.

I have swicthed off the power saving setting on the device manager (Power management>Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power) and also in the advanced power settings (USB Settings> USB Selective suspend setting:disabled)

This is becomming very annoying having to restart the machine every day before I can start work

Running Win & Pro x64

2 Posts

December 13th, 2011 14:00

I have two brand new XPS 17 laptops that are having the same problem.  If I don't touch my keyboard for a period of time, or use any device that is plugged into these ports for a period of time, they are powered down and they no longer function. 

Dell is maintaining the story that this is a problem only related to my computer; however, I have found multiple instances of this happening to others. 

I am a loyal Dell customer, and I make all the purchasing decisions for a company with less than 50 employees.  I have purchased thousands in dell equipment.  This is not going to end well if they can't fix a laptop that is less than two weeks old.

1 Message

December 19th, 2011 14:00

Well..........I too have just purchased 2 dell XPS L702X notebooks for my company and both of them have this exact problem. I have seen posts out in the wild implying that this is a motherboard problem. I sure hope that solution is anecdotal not root............Have you made any progress getting to the root cause???

177 Posts

December 19th, 2011 17:00

Is the USB 3.0 issue mostly on machines w/ turbo boost (i5 to i7) CPUs plus  nvidia discreet graphics cards.

My 3750 Vostro i3 Intel 3000 integrated graphics machine does not have this issue.

I've seen ("out in the wild") the USB 3.0 issue reported on other models and brands of laptops.

2 Posts

December 20th, 2011 07:00

I have an i5 2430m with the nvidia GT 550M

Dell just replaced my motherboard that is 2 weeks out of the factory, along with the two other daughter boards in the system.  Problem has gone away.... for now.  

1 Message

February 21st, 2012 04:00

I too have the same problem but I am just going to return my pc you shouldnt have to have anything replaced on a 2200$ laptop

1 Message

May 13th, 2012 07:00

My XPS 17 (L702x) is doing the same thing. I
have to say I am very disappointed that there is this type of issue considering
the price.

3 Posts

October 8th, 2012 04:00

I also had this problem and Updating the Drivers for the USB on Dell's website has fixed the problem so far.

The Driver name is USB3_Renesas_W7_A03_Setup-61X2W_ZPE.exe

1 Message

December 12th, 2012 15:00

+1 to Wip3out, that driver worked for my 17" XPS that had the back USB ports not working. They work now! Thanks man.

No Events found!