Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 5th, 2013 01:00

Dell XPS 17 l702x right speaker distortion(The sound will go quiet and back to normal volume random times)

Hello 

I have a Dell XPS 17 l702x and recently I have noticed my right speaker has been distorting(like the sound will randomly quiet down then back to normal volume at random times). I haven't made any changes to the software/hardware.  I forgot to mention when I'm not listening to anything I could hear some sort of noise coming from right speaker like a crackling noise(idle)

I have tested

1. Muted the right speaker and listening to the left speaker which sounds fine

2.(done the other way round in step 1 and the right speaker would randomly go quiet and loud(normal volume) as mentioned earlier 

3. I tried using my headphones and both sides are working normal.

I don't know if this is a temporary fix but it seems I had to turn the volume up to 50 for 2 minutes and playing sound track which seemed to fix the issue but I'm worried if this will happen again *touchwood*.

I have uninstalled the realtek driver and see if it might be the cause which I don't think it is.

What should I do?

August 5th, 2013 02:00

Hi NicholasF1,

Thank you for your response,

Try installing the BIOS and Audio drivers and check how well the computer performs,
Do reply us back if any issues on the above post and we’ll be glad to assist you further.

8 Posts

Hello Dell-Munawar P thanks for the reply and I will see how it goes in a few days time and I will reply back

Hi NicholasF1,

I apologize for the inconvenience caused and appreciate that you’ve tried a couple of troubleshooting steps which has isolated the issue. In future any issues, please contact me through private message by clicking on my name. On the next page, click the envelope icon and provide your service tag and contact information (as mentioned below) so that I may access your system records.

System Service Tag No:
Registered System Owner's Name:
Shipping address:
Telephone number/s:
Email address:

Meanwhile you can also try updating the following software’s and check, please click on the links mentioned below to install the software’s
http://dell.to/13LIvIZ

Type in the Service tag and search through the Operating System type and under drivers Install :

BIOS
Audio Drivers

Let us know if this helps.

8 Posts

August 5th, 2013 04:00

Hello  Dell-Munawar P I have the latest BIOS updated already installed and I will be re-installing the audio drivers so I will have to see what happens from there

8 Posts

August 5th, 2013 05:00

I forgot to mention when I plugged in my headphones to the *headphone jack* there was static noise coming from the right side of the headphones and none on the left. Then when I plug my headphone to the *mic+headphone* jack there wasn't any static noise

8 Posts

August 9th, 2013 02:00

After reinstalling the audio driver I thought I had solved the issue But the problem still persists where the right speakers loses volume and then goes back to normal and repeats which is annoying me. The 2nd problem is I noticed when I plugged in my headphones the right keeps making static noise. The 3rd issue is random popping noise.

I'm worried after reading a few posts of users experiencing after repairing the laptop from tech support and when they received it the laptop had scratch/dents. This is a concern of me and If I did have a repair come,would it be safe  to say I would not be getting scratches/dent which wasn't there ?

August 12th, 2013 02:00

Hi NicholasF1,

Thank you for your reply,

Apologize for delay in responding, Since the issue seems to be from the Speakers itself which might be the hardware concern and we can setup the service to replace the necessary part if the computer is within the hardware warranty and I request you to contact me through private message by clicking on my name. On the next page, click the envelope icon and provide your service tag and contact information (as mentioned below) so that I may access your system records.

System Service Tag No:
Registered System Owner's Name:
Shipping address:
Telephone number/s:
Email address:

However, you can also check the warranty of your computer by clicking on the link below:
http://dell.to/XULgT2

Do reply us back with your findings

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

August 12th, 2013 05:00

It is not a software problem so re-installing drivers and such will not fix it. If you are still under warranty then contact Munawar P.

If you are no longer under warranty and want to try to fix it yourself, get inside the laptop and reseat the speaker cable. If that does not fix it then replace the speakers. You can download your service manual which has instructions for disassembly and shows the location of the cable.

8 Posts

August 12th, 2013 12:00

Hello  Dell-Munawar P and jimco  thanks the replies I don't know if this has solved the problem but I think there was dust inside the speakers (didn't dissemble to check) but I just blew the speakers and I guess its working but if the problem still persists then I will email the details to get it checked.

8 Posts

August 12th, 2013 14:00

I would like to know how do check if the motherboard is faulty or something as when I plug my headphone into the headphone jack(the right ear headphones has static noise while left is quiet) but when i plug into my other jack(s/p or something) both  headphone are quiet.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

August 12th, 2013 15:00

It's a hardware problem. I say that because the driver simply does not produce static in one ear of headphones.

The Dell 32 bit Diagnostics audio tests can separate out an audio hardware problem from a software issue, but it cannot pinpoint the exact part that has failed. I don't know if your laptop came with that test but if it did you could run the test. If you hear the static during the tests that confirms it is in the hardware and not the software. If the noise is only in the headphones and not the speakers then the headphone jack is bad.

On your model, the jack labelled "S/pdif" is a multi-purpose jack. You can use it for headphones (which are analog), or for optical digital (Toslink)  output if you have the correct cable, or as part of 5.1 surround sound.

On the Playback tab, there should be options for Speakers and for Digital output. As long as "Digital Output" is disabled then you should hear audio through both headphones jacks.

8 Posts

August 13th, 2013 07:00

Hello Jimco, yes it does come with the dell diagnostics but I haven't run the tests yet and to be honest I'm kind of agreeing it probably is a hardware problem which is a bit let down. What would you suggest so I can trackdown the problem and know where the issue lies with

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

August 13th, 2013 10:00

I would go ahead and run the Dell 32 bit Diagnostics, but be aware that the PSA tests will run first and play some system tones that might not be heard through the headphone jacks, only the speakers. That's normal. When the actual Dell Diagnostic audio test runs, listen for the static. If you hear it during the tests then it is caused by hardware.

As far as pinpointing a bad audio component, all you can do is replace parts to try to find the bad one. I think you have said that you are getting static from both the right speaker and the right ear of the non-S/pdif jack. I would start with that jack -- the replaceable circuit board contains both jacks. If replacing it does not fix it then replace the speakers (but check the cable connection first). However doing that would require much dis-assembling of the laptop. If you are under warranty get Dell to do it. If your warranty includes on-site service then you can keep an eye on the technician and prevent the scratching of the case that you mentioned.

At one point you wrote: "Then when I plug my headphone to the *mic+headphone* jack there wasn't any static noise."

I don't know what you meant by "the 'mic+headphone' jack". Your mic jack does not double as a headphone jack. It does become a 3rd output jack when you configure the laptop for surround sound. If you did set it up for surround sound then re-configure for normal stereo output.

No Events found!