Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 19th, 2016 08:00

Dell XPS 9530 Machine won't turn on

I have had a weird issue with my Dell XPS 9530 machine. It is less than a year old. I sprung and bought the one with the bigger solid state drive.

However, for spending all this monry, the power button is extremely temperamental. Sometimes it takes numerous tries to get the machine to turn on. I tried changing the settings so it didn't sleep, but hibernated and that seemed to make it better, but the last couple weeks it has come back to it's normal tricks. 

Last night I plugged my computer in, used it for a bit, then left it plugged in to charge. I attempted to power on my machine this morning to do something and it would not come on. It was totally unresponsive - no power light, no fan, no keyboard lights etc. I tried a number of times as I was aware of the problems with the power button but to no avail. I also tried plugging into a power source but I have had no luck! 

I'm an experienced user. This machine is less than a year old and I use this machine for graphics, websites and general use (surfing the internet). 

I do notice that the power cord does not stay in. I have to make sure that when I leave it to charge that I check to make sure the power cord is plugged all the way in. If I use it plugged in, I notice the power cord comes loose quite easily. However, last night when I left it, the power cord was plugged in and it was charging fine and had no error message. 

Please help! I am not a wealthy woman, and cannot afford to have a $2,000 paperweight! I need this computer to work!  I have an appointment with Microsoft (where I bought it) tonight, but I'm sure it's not something they can fix in the store. 

34 Posts

January 20th, 2016 09:00

I've just had the same problem on my Dell laptop. The solution that worked for me was:

1. Remove all connections and devices e.g. charger, usb devices, SD cards etc.
  2. Remove the battery (you might need to search the Dell site for the Owner's manual on how to do this)
  3. Hold the power on button for 60secs to remove any residual charge
  4. Connect the power supply (with the battery still out) & turn on PC. Hopefully the PC will boot. Let it boot to Windows then turn it off.
  5. Reconnect the battery & check the PC still boots.

I'm still trying to work out why this happens. It could be the PC entering a deep sleep state from which it can't recover due a software problem (laptops never turn off totally) or it could simply be due to a poor battery connection.

4 Posts

January 20th, 2016 10:00

Thanks!

Took it to the Microsoft store by me (I bought it from them), and the guy was able to get it on very quickly. He did a bunch of updates, including a BIOS update and was able to get it to turn off and on a few times from sleep, hibernate, and power off. He recommended since I have the SSD version, to just power it off when I am done instead of putting it on sleep. It's still very slow to turn on, but it does turn on. Like really slow. He checked the mother board and all that was fine, but he did say that this seems to be the main complaint with this model. He said Microsoft actually is working with Dell to get them to come up with a solution. 

Other than this odd problem, it's been a great machine. 

34 Posts

January 20th, 2016 12:00

I've just upgraded my 1 year old Dell laptop to a SSD and it starts from 'cold' in 20 seconds to the Windows 10 screen - you should be getting a log on time similar to this.

I've also been advised to turn off hibernation and to set "turn off hard disk" to never under power options.

4 Posts

January 20th, 2016 13:00

for both battery and plugged in you make those never? I think I have never on plugged in, but 30 minutes on battery. 

Oh the machine powers up like lightning once it turns on - it's the actual power button that takes forever to turn on - you know from when you press the power button to the keys/power button being lit up and the actual machine powering on?  Once it powers up everything loads instantly. As i said, other than this power/sleep/wakeup issue, this machine is awesome! 

I use it for graphics, and it's super fast. 

No Events found!