Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

K

May 30th, 2016 13:00

Dell XPS 9550 USB communication problem

Hello!

Noticed something interesting with the USB port, which is near the DC jack, on the left side.

If I plug a wireless mouse receiver into that port, and if the power cable is connected also, then the mouse cursor hangs up pretty often - moving mouse, it just freezes very often, especially if the system is doing something a bit more than idling, i.e. Dropbox file indexing or Windows bootup.

If I remove the DC cable, then the freezing becomes less noticeable, but still is there.

If I put that WL mouse receiver into the right USB port, everything works fine and there are no freezes.

I could live with that, but if I attach an external HDD to that faulty port, often, when there are prolonged data transfer, that data can become corrupted, and that's a bit of a problem :)

All the drivers all upgraded and latest.

What should I do, what could be the solution?

Thanks!

May 31st, 2016 05:00

Is this a common bug?

July 11th, 2016 20:00

I have the same problem.  Have you found a fix?

July 12th, 2016 07:00

Well, no. The retailer just sends me to the service center, but I don't want to do that, I really don't want to get my notebook scratched or something else, especially if it's such an expensive one.

It's sad that you buy a computer worth about 2000 Eur, and then no one is willing to replace it because of such a fault.

1 Rookie

• 

28 Posts

July 12th, 2016 16:00

If you add a short USB 2.0  extension cable (say six inches or so) between the system and the USB receiver does that help?

July 12th, 2016 19:00

Nice suggestion! Tried with a 6 footer and it works.  So electrical inference???

July 13th, 2016 00:00

I checked myself too and it really seems so.

If that's the case, there really isn't much you can do about it, I guess? Because of the way motherboard is built. And it also means, that everyone should have this problem.

1 Rookie

• 

28 Posts

July 13th, 2016 09:00

Glad the suggestion helped. I am by no means an expert on RF interference, but I am guessing that since the receiver is most likely using the 2.4GHz band that when used in close proximity to the USB 3.0  port there is interference going on. The Dell forum won't let me post a link yet (guess I'm too new) but if you Google 'intel usb 3.0 interference' you should find an Intel whitepaper on the topic that goes into great detail about the behavior.

Even Intel's hardware is subject to the behavior, as I have an Intel NUC DN2820 with a front USB 3.0 port and two rear USB 2.0 ports. Using the wireless receiver in the front USB 3.0 port produced similar symptoms to what you described, but moving the adapter to the USB 2.0 port has everything working well. This is apparently why many wireless device manufacturers include a short (a few inches or so) USB 2.0  extension cable with their products.

It would be interesting if you tried using a Bluetooth mouse in lieu of the current model, to see if the behavior is different due to the  receiver being internal.

No Events found!