Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 14th, 2016 14:00

Dell XPS 9550 black screen

So my Dell XPS 9550 has been getting these random black screen moments just when ever it feels like it, it seems. The screen will turn black but the keyboard will light up when I push on them. The power button still has its light on as well as the light on my charger if i'm still using it. If I am listening to music, the music will freeze as well and I can hear it skipping. The only way I can fix it is by turning it on and off, only for it to happen again a couple of hours later. I have already called dell technical support and haven't found any solutions. I have read about some people having to get their motherboard replaced but i'm hoping its not gonna be that serious of a problem. Any Ideas?

April 14th, 2016 20:00

Hello Midnight_Star10

Thanks for writing to us.

Please let us know the steps tried by the phone support as per that we can take it further. 

Have they updated the BIOS, video drivers and running diagnostics from f12 menu ??

Regards

April 15th, 2016 20:00

Hi, we are awaiting your response still

April 16th, 2016 00:00

Yea we tried the f12 menu too.

Hi, well I received a call back from them today. So far they uninstalled the Nvidia GeForce GTP 960 m and reinstalled it but that didn't work. Today I think she replaced my other display adapter with the Microsoft basic display adapter and we are going to see if that worked. Everything is updated as it should be. Before I even called them I downloaded the dell system detect launcher to try trouble shooting my self and everything worked perfectly. She had told me this is pretty much the last option they have and after this I might have to send in my computer ( or something along those lines).

Oh and I meant Nvidia GeForce GTX not GTP

April 16th, 2016 22:00

We would say please continue with the technical support and observe the machine. As they rightly said if the issue is still the same, then probably they will collect the machine for repair.

5 Posts

April 17th, 2016 00:00

Hello,

I`ve had the same problem and I can recommend you to ask Dell for a Swap of your machine. That is the only workaround and solution. I just received my Swap Friday. Personally I can recommend you to remove all Thunderbolt software and drivers - everything. Then update your bios to the brand new one and stick with original Nvidia driver which appears on the Dell drivers webpage.

Good luck!

Rgds

April 17th, 2016 19:00

Hi, Do keep us posted about your system performance.

April 20th, 2016 22:00

Hi We are awaiting your response.

May 3rd, 2016 16:00

The issue has not been resolved and I have not received any call or messages from the dell tech team since April 21st. At this point it seems like it needs some work done. We know that the problem is with the Intel HD Graphics 530, the only way I can stop the black screens is when I uninstall the Intel graphics and replace it with the Microsoft basic display adapter but doing this cause numerous other problems besides the black screen. I have only had this computer since Christmas so please if there is anything you guys can do to fix this, please do.

May 3rd, 2016 16:00

So this swap completely solve the problem? Did you get the same one you had before?

No Events found!