Highlighted
Made in China
1 Nickel

Dell XPS L501x 2.1 Speaker System - Sound only from Bass speaker

Hi

As per the title, only the Bass speaker is operating, the Diagnostic software thinks that the left and right tweeters are running and they are not.

I've reinstalled the Realtek drivers and it hasn't made a difference. Dell remote support cannot see this fault because the Diagnostic software reports speakers are operating.

I see this similar topic remain unresolved: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3517/p/19423051/19996323.aspx

The card outputs to a 2.1 system correctly.

Any ideas? Hoping to avoid dismantling the laptop for a couple of tweeters.

OS - Windows 7 64 Bit

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Jim Coates
6 Gallium

RE: Dell XPS L501x 2.1 Speaker System - Sound only from Bass speaker

the Diagnostic software thinks that the left and right tweeters are running

To test the speakers run the ePSA tests.

Re-start the computer and at the Dell logo screen tap the F12 key until the One Time Boot menu appears (if the computer boots to Windows turn the computer off and try again).

At the One Time Boot menu, press the down arrow key to highlight Diagnostics, then Enter.

Look for a "Perform Quick Audio Check" button on the bottom right side of the ePSA main menu screen. Press the button and check if you can hear the beep tones from the speakers.

If you do not have the "Perform Quick Audio Check" button then do this. Start the PSA tests and when it performs the color test it will ask you if you see the color bars on the screen. Deliberately fail the test by answering no (press the "n" key) instead of yes. When you do that the PSA test will emit a series of beeps. Listen for the beeps.

If you don't hear the beep tones that means that the speakers have become disconnected or have failed.

If you do hear the tones that means that the speakers are working and are connected. In that case the reason that audio is not coming through them could be that the sensing circuitry in the headphone jack has failed. When that happens it prevents audio from being switched from the jack to the speakers.

Jim Coates -- 15 years on the Dell Laptop Audio boards -- since 2/6/04 

0 Kudos
Made in China
1 Nickel

RE: Dell XPS L501x 2.1 Speaker System - Sound only from Bass speaker

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately I couldn't get that far, once the initial diagnostics was complete I just got an error message to remove disks or media. Well there wasn't anything to remove.

0 Kudos