Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 21st, 2012 08:00

Dell XPS L502X constant DNS error (can't connect to internet at all)

HI, 

I have had my XPS L502X laptop for roughly a year now, and as of two days ago I am having a terribly frustrating issue. I cannot connect to the internet at all, I always the same error, "Windows can't communicate with the device or resources (primary DNS server)" or "DNS server is not responding". I have tried to connect at home, where every other computer can connect to the internet. I have also tried at a friends house and at work, where I am now sending this message (of a workstation pc, also a dell xps). I don't understand what caused this error and I have no idea how to fix it. I even tried connecting my laptop to the router directly, then directly to the modem... to no avail. Please help me, I am not amazing in computer lingo.

-also I run a 64-bit windows 7

Thanks,

T.W.

3.8K Posts

August 21st, 2012 08:00

Hi,

Welcome to the Community. If you use McAfee as your Antivirus software then check the below link.

en.community.dell.com/.../20167494.aspx

Thank you.

5 Posts

August 21st, 2012 12:00

Should I follow a specific instructions for uninstalling mcafee or just do a general uninstall?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

TylerWen,

Try the general uninstall. The link I provided tell you haow to remove McAfee.(link does work)

Rick

5 Posts

Sorry - I did not uninstall mcafee - I went to click on the mcafee removal tool you gave me but the link seems to be broken

5 Posts

Thank you, I see the walk arounds have worked for some folks so far. I performed the first 2 walkarounds to no avail. I see on the third walkaround you must install McAfee with no firewall? what is the consequence of that? what does the firewall exactly do?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

TylerWen,

I didn't hear that one. Windows Firewall should work.

Software Updates Causes Wireless Connectivity Issue Or Unable to Connect to Internet

If you removed McAfee, can you connect? Did you use the McAfee Removal Tool?

If yes, then reinstall McAfee. They corrected the connection problems, so it should be an issue.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 21st, 2012 13:00

TylerWen,

Glad you got it working! :emotion-21: Thnaks for posting back.

Take care,

Rick

5 Posts

August 21st, 2012 13:00

I uninstalled, and reinstalled and it seems to be working smoothly, thank you for the help and thanks for being patient

1 Message

August 21st, 2012 14:00

Interesting...

I had the exact same problem starting yesterday with my Dell XPS 1645 laptop.  I searched some forums and tried a number of things (reseting TCP/IP, disabling McAfee Network Service, etc...) but to no avail.

I eventally gave up and called Dell Support.  I was dismayed and frustrated when they installed a SpyWare app (via safe mode and remote control) and proceeded to inform me that the problem was with a virus (the number of "adware" cookies that were listed when running the scan exceeded 600 and they tried to convince me this was the problem.)  Now, I'm not a hardware expert, but I'm not an idiot either.  This seemed pretty far-fetched.  They tried to get me to pay $130 to remove the virus or to upsell to a 3yr/$350 support plan. 

I didn't feel good about the advice I was getting so I told the support rep that I needed to think about it and that I would call back if I wanted to proceed.  I then started to get the hard sell (i.e.: dropping the price of the support contract, getting his "manager" to talk with me, etc...)  I eventually had to hang up and close the remote control session.

The other interesting thing was that the first question he asked me was whether I had McAfee.  I said I did, and that's the last thing I heard about that.  Not once did he mention this documented problem and advise me to pursue the suggestions in this forum thread.  When I asked him about his McAfee question, he simply said "McAfee is not a good product and you need to get another anti-virus software."

Now, I have read a number of other posts about Dell Support Scams, and I would not have believed it if I hadn't gone through it myself.  It's unfortunate that Dell's reputation is getting sullied by their support arm.

5 Posts

August 21st, 2012 21:00

Hi Rick.

Its nice of you to be helpful. I have a similar problem with my laptop. Its a new Dell Inspiron (Windows 7). It won't connect to the internet and it keeps saying "DNS server is not responding". I have a McAfee Anti-virus (security) installed. From what I understand in you response and link to TylerWen, I should take the following steps to uninstall and restall the McAfee:

IMPORTANT: If your McAfee products were preinstalled by your computer manufacturer, ensure that you activate your McAfee subscription before you uninstall them. Reinstalling from a CD or download only installs your McAfee consumer applications, but might not recover your paid subscription term information. 

1. Uninstall your McAfee consumer products using Add/Remove Programs in the Windows Control Panel:

Windows 7 and Vista users

1. Close all McAfee program windows.
    2. Click Start, Search, type Programs and Features, and click Go.
    3. Double-click Programs and Features.
    4. Select McAfee SecurityCenter.
    5. Click Uninstall and follow any on-screen prompt.

Excluding these steps, is there any other step I should take (for windows 7)?

My McAfee was preinstalled upon purchase, I am not sure if I activated it or not but I feel it is activated because I get updates info alerts as well as emails for renewal (countdown to expiry date).

If I  succeed with the above steps, will you recommend I reinstall the McAfee or install another anti-virus?

Please reply asap. I would really appreciate it. Thanks

Anita

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 22nd, 2012 04:00

Anita,

The easiest method is to use system restore and go back before Saturday night, and you'll be able to connect, If you do not have a system restore point, then you'll need to uninstall McAfee. There is a stickie in the Dell Networking, Internet, Wireless Forums by McAfee Support telling you the procedure and a toll- free phone number.

I have use different virus programs at my work and I have been using FREE Avast Home Edition in my home for a few years. It's a matter of preference, but I love the real-time scanner.

Rick

14 Posts

August 22nd, 2012 11:00

If you get Kaspersky PURE for your a/v program, it will show you how to completely remove McAfee and/or Norton!!

Also, this problem isn't related to the DNS malware issue that the FBI & everybody warned about (you'll lose internet if you have it etc....)??

5 Posts

August 22nd, 2012 19:00

Thanks a lot Rick. I am a novice when it comes to computer software. Please how can I perform system restore and go back before Saturday night? I am not sure if I have a system restore point, I bought the laptop last month. Where can I find the point if I have one? I also remember this problem starting after there was an Adobe Reader upgrade.

After I receive your response, I will try out the process and let you know if I succeed. Thanks again.

Anita.

5 Posts

August 22nd, 2012 19:00

Thanks a lot for your suggestion. I am glad it isn't related to the DNS malware issue. I'll try removing the McAfee and will keep u posted.

5 Posts

August 24th, 2012 21:00

Thanks a lot Rick. I uninstalled McAfee and the internet works now. :)

No Events found!