Concerer82
1 Copper

Dell XPS L502x --- Plugged in, not charging (0%)

Hi, this is my first post on these forums so please excuse me if I make a mistake 🙂

The other day, my computer seemed to stop charging, and I couldn't turn it on after it died. Now I have (with a screwdriver) pushed out the Power input Jack as I found it was to far in. The computer now accepts the power adapter to keep the battery on 0%, and not charge it.

The Error received is something like 'The AC Power adapter cannot be determined'

I've had the computer for a year and a half, and thus the warranty has ended. I really don't want to spend much money because honestly I have none. I don't know much about computer hardware, so if you can please try to use non-technical terms 🙂

Thanks in Advance,

Cormac

0 Kudos
22 Replies

Re: Dell XPS L502x --- Plugged in, not charging (0%)

Hi Cormac,

Please check if the charging port on the laptop is loose. Connect an alternate AC Adapter to see if that works fine with the system. Alternatively, try the steps mentioned below:

*Check the AC Adapter in BIOS; check the ‘AC Adapter type’ status if it shows ‘Unknown/  Not Detected / 65W / 90W / 130W'.
*If you get the status as 'Unknown / Not Detected' then reset BIOS to defaults:

• Restart the computer, tap 'F2' key on Dell logo 4-5 times
  • This will take you to the main screen of BIOS
  • Press ‘F9’ key once, highlight ‘Yes’, press ‘Enter’
  • Press ‘F10’ key once, highlight ‘Yes’, press ‘Enter’

Also, check the Battery Health Meter:

• Right click on the battery icon on the taskbar
  • Choose ‘Dell Health Meter’
  • Click on ‘Battery Health’ tab
  • Examine the information shown in the window

Please reply if you have any questions.

Thanks & Regards,
Sundeep B
#iworkfordell
To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region USA;India For helpful Dell Support Videos, you may click Here.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Concerer82
1 Copper

Thanks Sundeep, for the quick response!

I don't know what did it for me, but I did all of stated above.

I tried it with a Dell Inspiron Special Edition charger, and had the same errors, and then when my computer shut down afterwords, I decided to try push out the power adapter again with a screwdriver, then reset BIOS to default, and now it seems to be working!

0 Kudos
MicroTest
3 Cadmium

Your laptop needs to be opened by a technician and the power jack thoroughly examined.Pins could be broken or loose and cause a short circuit which could damage the mainboard or the power adapter itself.

0 Kudos

Hi Cormac,

I am glad the issue is fixed. However, the fix might be temporary and the issue may be related to hardware as suggested by MicroTest.

I would suggest you to observe the system for a few days and see if the issue reoccurs.

Keep me posted.

Thanks & Regards,
Sundeep B
#iworkfordell
To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region USA;India For helpful Dell Support Videos, you may click Here.

0 Kudos
Roy Hutton
1 Copper

RE: Dell XPS L502x --- Plugged in, not charging (0%)

Hi,

I have the same problem, non of the above works for me.......if I'm lucky the the laptop recognises the charger....but i have to fiddle with it for 10 mins.

The computer is now 2 years old but the adaptor has always seemed loose. I'me getting really peed off with Dell....£800 laptop with a £2 power adaptor which if you believe what you read on line is a problem for 1000's of people. 

Even though the warranty has run out this adaptor is an obvious design fault and you shouk be doeing something about it.

0 Kudos

Hi Roy,

There is no such known issue with XPS L502X laptop charging port. The charging port might get loose with normal wear and tear as laptop is used in different positions and it might stress the DC in port connector. 

However, you have stated that the charging port has always been loose on your system. I would like to know if you have reported the same to Dell within warranty period. If yes, please share the system Service Tag and name on records via Private Message (Click  on my name and click Send a Private Message). I will look into the details and determine further course of action.

Thanks & Regards,
Sundeep B
#iworkfordell

0 Kudos
Dhananjaydgr8
1 Copper

thank you:emotion-21::emotion-21: very much mr.Sundeep i m having also same problem it solve coz of u r solution 

0 Kudos
Dhananjaydgr8
1 Copper

Respected Sundeep sir,

in Dell xps l502x i had one problem Ac adapter plugged in but not charging error it solve of u r above given solution, but battery is

still not charging its showing charging on the battery meter, and showing u r battery is normal in battery health meter plz help me to find out the solution

0 Kudos
mlokhandwala
1 Copper

Any search on Google about this problem reveals hundreds of users facing the same problem. I suppose it should be clear to Dell why people are switching to Apple product en mass. Having bought practically the highest end XPS model with blue ray and 8GB etc. and not even having used it that extensively, the last think I expect is to have to change it's mother board because of a <ADMIN NOTE: Substitute character removed as per TOU> bad quality power jack which does not detect the adapter type any more for 11000 !

Are you folks insane ? This is a common problem in all Dell laptops not just XPS. Dell MUST recall laptops and replace this for free for all users facing this problem. That is the least you can do. No one will buy Dell laptops in the future if you guys <ADMIN NOTE: Substitute character removed as per TOU> up your customers like this and certainly not me and not my friends and family.

I own Apple devices and have NEVER faced any such issues on any of them which are even 5 to 6 years old and have actually been mishandled over time. Heck I have Toshiba and IBM laptops which are really old and still working fine.

I want you guys to call me and fix the problem. My laptop is barely 1.8 years old and this is NOT a problem I expect to be fighting with. 

0 Kudos