Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 21st, 2013 10:00

Dell XPS L502x --- Plugged in, not charging (0%)

Hi, this is my first post on these forums so please excuse me if I make a mistake :)

The other day, my computer seemed to stop charging, and I couldn't turn it on after it died. Now I have (with a screwdriver) pushed out the Power input Jack as I found it was to far in. The computer now accepts the power adapter to keep the battery on 0%, and not charge it.

The Error received is something like 'The AC Power adapter cannot be determined'

I've had the computer for a year and a half, and thus the warranty has ended. I really don't want to spend much money because honestly I have none. I don't know much about computer hardware, so if you can please try to use non-technical terms :)

Thanks in Advance,

Cormac

June 21st, 2013 10:00

Hi Cormac,

Please check if the charging port on the laptop is loose. Connect an alternate AC Adapter to see if that works fine with the system. Alternatively, try the steps mentioned below:

*Check the AC Adapter in BIOS; check the ‘AC Adapter type’ status if it shows ‘Unknown/  Not Detected / 65W / 90W / 130W'.
*If you get the status as 'Unknown / Not Detected' then reset BIOS to defaults:

• Restart the computer, tap 'F2' key on Dell logo 4-5 times
  • This will take you to the main screen of BIOS
  • Press ‘F9’ key once, highlight ‘Yes’, press ‘Enter’
  • Press ‘F10’ key once, highlight ‘Yes’, press ‘Enter’

Also, check the Battery Health Meter:

• Right click on the battery icon on the taskbar
  • Choose ‘Dell Health Meter’
  • Click on ‘Battery Health’ tab
  • Examine the information shown in the window

Please reply if you have any questions.

5 Posts

June 21st, 2013 11:00

Thanks Sundeep, for the quick response!

I don't know what did it for me, but I did all of stated above.

I tried it with a Dell Inspiron Special Edition charger, and had the same errors, and then when my computer shut down afterwords, I decided to try push out the power adapter again with a screwdriver, then reset BIOS to default, and now it seems to be working!

934 Posts

June 21st, 2013 12:00

Your laptop needs to be opened by a technician and the power jack thoroughly examined.Pins could be broken or loose and cause a short circuit which could damage the mainboard or the power adapter itself.

June 22nd, 2013 05:00

Hi Cormac,

I am glad the issue is fixed. However, the fix might be temporary and the issue may be related to hardware as suggested by MicroTest.

I would suggest you to observe the system for a few days and see if the issue reoccurs.

Keep me posted.

1 Message

September 26th, 2013 16:00

Hi,

I have the same problem, non of the above works for me.......if I'm lucky the the laptop recognises the charger....but i have to fiddle with it for 10 mins.

The computer is now 2 years old but the adaptor has always seemed loose. I'me getting really peed off with Dell....£800 laptop with a £2 power adaptor which if you believe what you read on line is a problem for 1000's of people. 

Even though the warranty has run out this adaptor is an obvious design fault and you shouk be doeing something about it.

September 26th, 2013 21:00

Hi Roy,

There is no such known issue with XPS L502X laptop charging port. The charging port might get loose with normal wear and tear as laptop is used in different positions and it might stress the DC in port connector. 

However, you have stated that the charging port has always been loose on your system. I would like to know if you have reported the same to Dell within warranty period. If yes, please share the system Service Tag and name on records via Private Message (Click  on my name and click Send a Private Message). I will look into the details and determine further course of action.

October 11th, 2013 01:00

thank you:emotion-21::emotion-21: very much mr.Sundeep i m having also same problem it solve coz of u r solution 

October 11th, 2013 02:00

Respected Sundeep sir,

in Dell xps l502x i had one problem Ac adapter plugged in but not charging error it solve of u r above given solution, but battery is

still not charging its showing charging on the battery meter, and showing u r battery is normal in battery health meter plz help me to find out the solution

November 21st, 2013 09:00

Any search on Google about this problem reveals hundreds of users facing the same problem. I suppose it should be clear to Dell why people are switching to Apple product en mass. Having bought practically the highest end XPS model with blue ray and 8GB etc. and not even having used it that extensively, the last think I expect is to have to change it's mother board because of a <ADMIN NOTE: Substitute character removed as per TOU> bad quality power jack which does not detect the adapter type any more for 11000 !

Are you folks insane ? This is a common problem in all Dell laptops not just XPS. Dell MUST recall laptops and replace this for free for all users facing this problem. That is the least you can do. No one will buy Dell laptops in the future if you guys <ADMIN NOTE: Substitute character removed as per TOU> up your customers like this and certainly not me and not my friends and family.

I own Apple devices and have NEVER faced any such issues on any of them which are even 5 to 6 years old and have actually been mishandled over time. Heck I have Toshiba and IBM laptops which are really old and still working fine.

I want you guys to call me and fix the problem. My laptop is barely 1.8 years old and this is NOT a problem I expect to be fighting with. 

1 Message

January 7th, 2014 07:00

Mr. M Lokhandwal has very rightly sad and seriously I am on job to search one apple laptop for me because of same problem "Plugged in, not charging"

My XPS is now working as desk top - always connected with power. Tried all said methods with no result. Changed battery too but same problem with new battery too. Got checked socket etc. but at last I gave up and trying to buy APPLE laptop.

Very big name - "DELL", but useless products. How to sucks money from user's pocket is the AIM of the company.  Can not recommend this product to anyone.

1 Message

January 16th, 2014 11:00

It is a shame that it all went quiet here, especially from the Dell employee when there are answer left wanting. So, if the jack is loose what to do? Please help as I have the same problem and could really use a solution.

5 Posts

March 1st, 2014 03:00

I had this same problem with a Dell XPS 15 502x computer recently. The ac charger would power the computer but would not charge the battery  When plugged in it would say something like ac adapter not recognized.......or ac power adapter type cannot be determined...

The ac adapter/charger has 3 wires that connect to the laptop at the jack that plugs into the computer. 2 (white and black) are for power and the 3rd wire sends a signal to let the laptop know that it is a "Dell type " or the correct type of charger. This 3rd wire is pretty fragile it seems.  I took my jack apart and sure enough this 3rd wire was broken off right where it connects to the jack. I cut back a little of the black insulation and could see where the wire had pulled loose and wasn't connected to anything. I re-soldered it back to the jack and now the charger works properly with no error messages. It was real hard to get to the wire with it buried in a plastic coating and I lost the blue led light in the process but the error message went away and the battery charges now that I've reconnected that 3rd wire. If you don't work on electronics much it might be best to order a new charger. I guess you could potentially have a different problem but this was my experience. If someone ends up getting a new ac adapter to fix this problem be sure to try and keep the wire pretty straight and not bent sharply right by the jack coming out of the computer because this is where mine broke. Other than this it's been a great computer.

My .02 cents

1 Message

March 17th, 2014 07:00

Hi ALL,

I sincerely do sympathize with you all, I call my laptop (L502X - XPS) "<ADMIN NOTE: Profanity removed as per terms of use>" not "DELL". I placed the order at an electronic store in Mumbai, India, they promised it would be delivered in a week, called support they had no update on a purchase in my name, money had already been deducted, got a call a while later, a week citing the laptop is being assembled in Philippines. Finally got it almost 20 days later.

Now the biggest Joke, within 3 months had a severe over heating issue (on startup the temp touches 100degrees and the laptop shuts down immediately), they replaced the heat sink, then the daughter board failed and the overheating never got resolved, they asked me to submit the same at the service center.

Here they replaced the heat sink once, so twice in total, the heat sink fan 3 times, the mother board, twice and the i7 processor 3 times finally they even gave up and could not resolve the issue, they even left heaps of screwdriver indents on the front side panel (shows that the technician did not know that the XPS has to be disassembled from the keyboard part).

I had to travel out of town for a new job and hence picked it up a few days prior to travel, sadly the overheating issue persisted, they kept on asking me to conduct various tests to no avail. When i asked for a replacement, they promised the same on the phone, mentioned I would only be back in mumbai post the warranty expiring and they said it was no problem.

When I went to return the product all of them feigned ignorance, I threw the laptop in the dustbin at the service center and walked away. They kept the laptop for nearly 9 months and kept harping that I was not entitled to a replacement. I live in a country with outdated laws and consumer forums that take 2/3 yrs to provide a verdict.

Sadly had to pick up the laptop back, to my dismay, within 2 months the charger shorted and had to spend a bomb getting the mother board fixed, now like the rest of you'll my charger does not charge the battery.

By the way all replaced parts at DELL are refurbished parts hence you will end up having more issues than the first time you have a problem.

I have been using the same from 100 % and now a week later down to 51 %. dont know how I will manage once it get to 0%. I am without a job and cannot afford anything, even pulling out my kids from school this semester.

Wrote many times to Michael Dell, however all responses are handled by the corporate team in India and they feel that they are will have to pay for the replaced laptop from their pockets, hence no resolution.

I went to pick up an APPLE, however due to financial shortfall of Rs.15,000/- at that time settled for a DELL only to be dragged through <ADMIN NOTE: Profanity removed as per terms of use>.

An I am still Stuck here in <ADMIN NOTE: Profanity removed as per terms of use>.

NEVER again another <ADMIN NOTE: Profanity removed as per terms of use>/ DELL.

GOD Bless all, hope you dont ever fall into a trap like this.

Regards,

Wayne

1 Message

August 14th, 2014 04:00

Sir,

I have Dell XPS L502X 3 years old, then there were no dell battery meter, i usually use it when plugged in, yesterday when the battery was 100% i used it without the charger, then later when i plugged in, when the battery was low, it wasn't charging, n displayed "plugged in, not charging".

Please help me out I'm a bit confused on what to do, would be great if u help.

Regards,

Aiman

5 Posts

August 14th, 2014 14:00

You probably have a bad charger. Dell chargers have a third wire that sends a signal to the laptop to let it know that the charger is the correct type of dell charger. This wire is known to break and when it does you get the " plugged in not charging" error. Just order a new Dell charger or if your electronically inclined track down the broken wire. Mine was broke by the jack where it plugs into the computer and was a pain to get to. 
Hope that helps

On Aug 14, 2014, at 5:37 AM, "Laptop General Hardware Forum - Automated Email" < Dell_Community_noreply@dell.com> wrote:

Reply by aimanathani

Sir,

I have Dell XPS L502X 3 years old, then there were no dell battery meter, i usually use it when plugged in, yesterday when the battery was 100% i used it without the charger, then later when i plugged in, when the battery was low, it wasn't charging, n displayed "plugged in, not charging".

Please help me out I'm a bit confused on what to do, would be great if u help.

Regards,

Aiman

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

No Events found!