M.H.
1 Nickel

Re: Dell XPS M1530 Display Problem.

It turns out that the problem is more serious than I thought. According to my reading, the problem
is due to overheating of nVidia video chipset. Overheating does not destroy the chip but it messes up the
welding (ball welding), which has been a huge issue for XPS M1530. Do google search, and you will see what I mean.
So, I ended up replacing the motherboard and I am being more careful with my laptop now, not playing games, cleaning the cooling fans more often, having cooling pad and etc. I cannot say that your problem is same as mine because it seems like your symptom is less severe than mine. One thing
I figure is that it is worth to buy warantee if you plan to use your XPS M1530 for a long time, especially
if you want to be able to use it under all condition. I was lucky to be able to replace the motherboard with minimum
cost but am not planing to replace it again. I am just going to use this laptop for 1~2 years and buy new one.

0 Kudos
fallingstar
1 Nickel

I too have just had this problem. I have been noticing that the left side of the laptop by my left hand underneith the Z key and before the mouse is getting hot. I have checked and all fans are clean and clear. at first my screen was going liney like straight lines randomly across the screen, i also noticed that my bubble screen saver would randomly freeze then go fast. but if i tilted the monitor of the laptop M1530 either higher or lower the lines would go away so i hought I jut had a bad cable going south. but now over night the HDMI will work so i can stillwork the laptop but the actual display on the laptop wont light up. as usuall it is out of warranty, so im not sure what to do about the problem.

0 Kudos
fallingstar
1 Nickel

Although I had also read about the failing Nvidia chip I purchased a new motherboard to replace it, and while taking it apart my wife needed a file so i turned the other way and reassembled it.(i could hook up an external display and still use it) while I had the keyboard off i pushed on the monitor cable to make sure it was seated and it felt fine. but when i then put it back together and turned it on I now have a working display again! now it did not click and it didnot move that I could tell so maybe not out of the woods yet but this has solved my problem for now.

check out the disasemble tutorial so you know what screws to take out and so on...

scorrea
1 Copper

I'm having the same problem but I'm not a techie like you and wouldn't know the first thing about "resetting" wires, etc. What should I do? Aarrrrgh...

0 Kudos
Trendkilla
1 Copper

Do the same thing people are doing with the old xbox 360's.

Take 4 pennies, wrap them in electrical tape. Take off the cover to the gpu on the bottom of the laptop. put the pennies right on the gpu heatsink. put the lid back down and tighten the screws. BINGO. problem solved.

0 Kudos
mistahclarke
1 Copper

My girlfriend's laptop has a similar issue - It boots with no display. You can hear it's on so someone is home, just no lights or display.

It wouldn't surprise me if it's overheating issues, it gets very hot.

Does anyone know how I can get her files back as we are happy to replace it? I don't really want to pay for repair on top of a new laptop.

I've tried a VGA and HDMI cables to the TV but it says no signal. If I can get the picture up on the telly I'd just move the files to a external hard-drive.

0 Kudos
montymontana
1 Copper

You are right on the numbers. I have the same problem. My tech guy says the nvidia chip needs replacing due to overheating. No guarantee it won't do it again. Anybody agree with the penny trick? Does it work and if so would it work after you have the problem? What really upsets me is that it is beyond the warranty period, is a design or manufacturing defect and Dell will do nothing about it as far as I know. Trust me, I will not buy another one. IBM joined with leveno and makes personal computers. Thier tech and customer support are here in the USA. That's whee I'm going to buy my next one.
0 Kudos
Trendkilla
1 Copper

By the way the penny trick did work, however it is not a permenant fix as my laptop stopped working as of last week. it is completely dead now. but i guarantee you the penny trick worked for quite a while. 

0 Kudos
Trendkilla
1 Copper

And.also there was a class action lawsuit on this motherboard. I personally own a Dell xps l501x now as a replacement while it was under warranty. They tried 3 motherboards while under warranty, all failed. I got a fourth motherboard that was missing a bolt that holds the damn heatsink onto the motherboard. So the video chip overheated and it wouldn't stay on. Dell replaced it with a new model the xps L501X. Being the saavy guy I tried the penny trick posted above and it worked for quite a while. Oh btw Dell you can send me another return kit, I will actually use this one I promise . (A year and 8 months or so later)  

0 Kudos