Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 4th, 2013 05:00

Dell XPS M1530 does not boot.

Hi, 

My dell xps does not boot. The power button is lighing and power light is on. After pressing powet button I can hear some attempt to start the system but then nothing happens. Black screen, no sound of working hard drive etc. I just wonder if the fact that I use my laptop connected to power supply charger all the time could be a issue? I had to do it because my battery has been flat long time ago. I understand the need of battery to be able to power laptop using thebcharger so mybe this flat battery is a problem?

Robert

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

May 4th, 2013 05:00

If it is, the system will start with the battery removed -- try that.  If it won't, unplug the system and remove the battery.  Hold the power button for 30 seconds.  Verify that the LED on the adapter or adapter plug is on - if it is not, replace the adapter.  

If you still get nothing, remove and reinstall both memory modules and the hard drive.

If the system still won't power up, chances are the mainboard is bad - on a system this age, replacing the mainboard may make no sense (it'll cost at least a couple of hundred dollars, and with newer, faster systems selling for not much more than that, it isn't likely a wise repair, economically speaking).

119 Posts

May 4th, 2013 08:00

i agree with Mr ejn63,

please try the following

-try the adapter alone

-try the battery alone

-clean ram socket and try new ram

-startup the laptop without cmos battery

please tell us the last news

May 4th, 2013 11:00

Thanks for advice. I did what you told me to do. No luck. When I press power button the only reaction is working fan for a few second and after the laptop is completely death. Unfortunately it must be mainboard or some other power supply circuit. This laptop has some age so I agree that is no point to replace mainboard. Once again thank you.

119 Posts

May 4th, 2013 19:00

i can help find the issue if youhave some knowledge about taking some measures of

processor circuit

ram circuit

and tell me if 3.3V reach the bios ic

1 Message

June 1st, 2015 23:00

I was looking for something else regarding my M1530 and came across your message/problem.  If you shelved the laptop and it is still kicking around, keep reading.  If you trashed it then go back to whatever you had been doing... smile.

Your symptoms sound identical to mine.  The problem is a known one... a design flaw in the cooling system that permits the solder joints on the video chip to crack.  Since your computer - like mine - is a brick not worth fixing I figured I had nothing to lose by attempting a repair.

I did some searching and learned that modern boards are not hand soldered... a low temp solder is "painted on", the chips are installed and the board is baked (yes, literally  baked) to cause the solder to liquify and flow.  Because it is low temp solder a hot chip can cause the solder to melt.  If the melted solder becomes "separated" the chip is not longer properly connected on one or more pins.

A range of fixes for "re-baking" the motherboard were suggested.  Here's what I did: by downloading the repair manual and carefully following the instructions I disassembled my laptop down to a bare motherboard in my hand.  I removed the CPU (it is not soldered in) and the black plastic "sticky paper" (photograph everything with your smartphone while taking it apart so that you know what it should look like when it is 'back together'... grin).

Then I went to Harbor Freight tools and bought a heat gun (the kind used to soften paint for stripping) and I cooked the video chip to the point where it was too hot to touch.  I'm sure there is a "heat threshold" above which you will destroy the chip to be a little careful just how hot you get the board.  And, of course, give yourself a feel-good by reminding yourself it was a useless brick before you tried this.

I left the board undisturbed (did not tip, drop, jar, move, etc.) until it had completely cooled off.  Then I reassembled my XPS M1530 and turned it on.  Worked perfectly.  I did this repair more than a year ago and it is still running fine.  As a matter of fact, I've been using it to run Windows 10 (insider) and it runs beautifully.

Give it a try... let me know how it turns out.

No Events found!