Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 2nd, 2009 08:00

Dell XPS M1530's battery won't charge, plugged in.

My Dell XPS M1530's battery won't charge, and the laptop doesn't recognise the adapter.

At desktop, it says "0% available (plugged in, not charging). When I boot it up and enter setup (F2 at the DELL spash screen), it doesn't recognise my adapter (D series, the very same one supplied with the laptop, and which it has recognised for more than a year up until now), and mentions that my "battery has experienced a permanent failure and needs to be replaced".

I get no error message while booting normally either, simply the "0%" icon in the task tray in Vista. The battery status LED on the front of the laptop is flashing red, as if to say the battery is simply undercharged.. but the battery just won't charge! I've left my laptop off and plugged in for 2 days, and it hasn't charged the battery.

It turns on just fine with the AC adapter plugged in and battery removed, the same with the battery installed. I've checked all the contacts on the battery and adapter, they are clean and not broken. I don't have any other adapters or laptops to test with.. when I run the self help diagnostic tool (in the Dell Support Center), it just turns my laptop of as there is zero power. I'm unsure as to whether I need a new AC adapter or battery.. I'm really hoping it's not the motherboard.

1 Message

December 17th, 2011 14:00

Cindy,

Motherboard/Battery

Battery/Motherboard

What was their explanation?  Did you get the problem resolved?

December 20th, 2011 06:00

Do what I did ... and dump the Dell and get a HP laptop. Brilliant piece of kit. I have had 3 PCs fail on me before, other 2 were hard drive issue just outside of warranty, and guess what they were all Dells ... there will not be a fourth!

December 24th, 2011 08:00

In 3 years my Dell XPS M1530 went through 2 power adapters, 3 motherboards, one keyboard faceplate (the first one carried a small electrical charge) one hard drive - all changed courtesy of my Dell warranty. Shortly after the last motherboard it just up and died anyway. Some reviews have stated the new XPS notebook line still runs a bit hot. So I bought some cheapie replacement and am regretting that too. Next time I will buy a Sony VAIO. The bottom line is if you're having problems with your M1530 laptop, it's quite likely it's due to a hardware problem - and if you sink money into it, it may still die shortly afterwards.

March 21st, 2012 21:00

Went into BIOS...still shows "AC Adapter not Recognized" but it DOES charge the battery

March 21st, 2012 21:00

Was getting "AC Adapter Not Recognized" message in BIOS (BIOS was A12)...flashing the BIOS back to A09 now allows my adapter to charge new battery!!!

3 Posts

March 22nd, 2012 11:00

Its because a little red cable going from the power supply unit to the mother board has snapped. It tells the motherboard that you have the right power unit for the laptop. I've had two power supply units and both have done the same. I had to take them apart and solder them back together and now they work fine. Also another tip to stop the graphics over heating you need to raise your laptop cos ive had to fix mine four times, last time having to cook graphics card to repair it. Not enough air flows through the laptop, poor design!!

2 Posts

March 28th, 2012 11:00

I have not had the "no charge" problem but my battery would not hold a charge shortly after 1 year. I told dell service and they said the battery was not under warranty.

I have had this "piece of junk for the price" for about 4 years. Since I use it plugged in most of the time I have not replaced the battery but plan to soon.

My experience has been far less than satisfactory with this "high end computer". Problems started shortly after I got it. It crashed bad (cannot remember what). I called Technical Support and they tried several things to adjust, nothing worked. I had to lose all my installed programs and put it back to the factory restore.  Then later the motherboard and memory had to be replaced. Then another motherboard and memory. The third time the motherboard and memory went out I had to send the computer in to be repaired. Dell's next day warranty is not worth the paper/bytes it is written on/with.  I was without my laptop for about 8 days.

The bluetooth keyboard quit once under warranty. They were good and quick to replace it and they replaced the bluetooh mouse at the same time since they are sold as a set.

With all the trouble I have had with this XPS 2530, I have decided to never buy another Dell and I am not afraid to let others know that they shold not buy Dell products.

When the extended warranty expired Dell called and asked me to renew. When they told me the outrageous figure, I told them when this one quits again I will go to Walmart and get an HP with more features, bigger hard-drive, more memory, for less $$$$.  I recommend that others to do the same.

2 Posts

March 28th, 2012 11:00

That was supposed to me "XPS 1530" not "XPS 2530"

1 Message

May 30th, 2012 11:00

my battery do not charged i have dell zps 1530m

4 Posts

September 24th, 2012 22:00

I have an XPS L701X. Same problem as most on this thread. Charger not recognized. It runs fine plugged in, but will not charge. My gosh, this has been going on for years. Can't They fix this flaw.

1 Message

November 19th, 2012 11:00

My XPS 15 is only 4 mo old and my battery was not charging. I called support and they upgraded my software for the BIOS to A12. Problem fixed.

1 Message

January 30th, 2013 05:00

Dont know if this will help anyone but I just recently figured out why my Studio XPS 16 would not charge. I had removed the bottom cover on the

laptop to clean the dust that collected within the machine. The first thing I noticed was a small (probably backup) battery that was not plugged in.

I went ahead and plugged it back to the female socket right next to the battery itself and walaa!!! Charges everytime now. Hope this will help someone.

1 Message

February 1st, 2013 14:00

I had this exact same problem, i purchased a new battery thinking the battery went dead and wouldnt charge. After looking at a few other reasons as to why the battery would not charge i found out it was a BIOS issue. I downgraded to A9 Bios,

after going to dells homepage,

then product support.

I allowed dell to search my computer and find the exact model number.

I then went to the downloads and drivers and found the BIOS section, I had A11 bios... and I downgraded to A9 bios.

My battery charges now!!

Including the old one I just replaced.. now I have two rechargable batteries for my m1530.

Hope this helps someone out there, spent a lot of time trouble shooting. If you want more info or want to say thanks cuz i know I was not alone with this problem.. send me a msg tbruceh at live dot com.

ty

1 Message

June 17th, 2013 16:00

In reading this feed it made me feel happy I was not alone in the same issue with my Dell Studio all of a sudden not charging (despite new battery, and multiple new charging cords), but makes me even more dissatisfied with my Dell purchase. I have had this computer less than 3 years, and this issue has been going on for at least 6-8 months for me.  I think I'm going to try to see if downgrading to a different Bios works. Thanks for the suggestions. I hope Dell reads these forums to see how difficult of a time it's customers are having for equipment we bought thinking it was a trusted, worthy product.

2 Posts

June 18th, 2013 00:00

I have XPS 701X 17 inch laptop. I have bought Dell for years. This is the last one though . After getting my motherboard and charger replaced, I still have to manually hold the charger in the hole to keep it from falling out. The battery was shot after just a little over a year. I bought an iPhone about a year ago, I've probably bought my last windows product as well. Dell's problems are well documented in this line, but they haven't changed thing. I am switching to iOS next go round.
No Events found!