Highlighted
moorbloom
1 Copper

Dell XPS M1710 extreme overheating

Hi got an XPS M1710, about 5 months old, and it is very very hot!, My harddrive temerature is about 38 celcius in desktop (not loading), and about 48 celcius when on load. My GPU Nvidia 7900GTX, is at 73 celcius at desktop and in full load (gaming) up over 90(!!!) celcius, if I feel the fan vents on the back I burn myself! so my question is... is this just Dell that are bad with cooling or is my laptop broken? because this is not normal. what should I do? my room temerature is steady 18 celcius (but gets a bit hotter when the XPS-heater (the laptop) has been on)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Bjornar1982
1 Nickel

Re: Dell XPS M1710 extreme overheating

do you experience any blue screens or system failure messages coming up?
in that case join the club for "nmi memory hardware errors" Smiley Tongue not sure if its because of heating problems though.. have u checked if the fans or exhaust vents are "dusted shut" ?
0 Kudos
kiamon24
1 Copper

No blue screens or errors. warcraft has an fps monitor and i see it drops from 60-64 to 3-4 and then lock-up. The vent thing could be an issue since I play on my bed but in any case the laptop is definitely too hot to pick up. tried to hold it in my hand for more than 5 seconds and I couldn't. I understand hot but that hot in 15 minutes is crazy.
0 Kudos
GavinK151
1 Nickel

Get an airduster cannister and give it a good clean - could be just dust and fluff blocking the vents as someone suggested. I have not had to do this yet to my XPS but when I had a desktop it solved 90% of any heat realted problems I ever had though of course you cant open up the laptop to do such a thorough job. If you are using the laptop on your bed try resting it on a large book (for example) or something that will allow air underneath too... just some thoughts to try...
0 Kudos
Wizarc
1 Nickel

Also one of the copper tubings used for cooling the Video Card, CPU, etc could be bad.  We have had them go bad on desktop CPUs.  Not too sure how you would know but 90 degrees is not normal.

Since you are under warranty don't stop trying to get Dell to look into this.

Do Dell Techs answer these forums?  (not to hijack the thread please)
0 Kudos
Bjornar1982
1 Nickel

if u are a hardcore mmorpg gamer og fps gamer I would higly reccomend u getting a notebook cooler. i play a lot of Battlefield 2142 and City of Villains on my XPSm1710 and it often overheats. i had bluescreen errors with NMI etc etc all the time (dell fixed this by replacing a "few" parts lol) but i got an AKASA 17" notebook cooler, didnt cost much either, and helps ALOT! trust me! no more lag in games after gaming for like 10hours straight and no more NMI / graphic errors =)
send me a PM if u wonder about anything Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
bagsoldboy
1 Copper

hi moorbloom how are your temp problems going. what ive noticed is that you said you play these games on your bed. if this is the case,in my opinion thats a massive no no! check the underside of your lappy and look at all the air intake vents for the hdd fans and gpu fans. sitting the lappy on a bed-blanket or whatever is going to smother these intake vents therefore no air being drawn in bty the fans to cool the hardware. you should always play on a hard surface hey. anyway hope that helps,i learnt this from my own experience...
0 Kudos
moorbloom
1 Copper

bagsoldboy: I got the fans and the graphics card replaced, since then I have not had any overheating problems. but I never said I had it on my bed. I have one of those laptop coolers now as well. but it basicly only helps keeping hard drives cooler.
0 Kudos