Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 25th, 2009 04:00

Dell XPS M1730 notebook and Windows 7 driver and quickset advice

Hi Just a quick post that might help others. I have done a clean install of Windows 7 64 bit on my Dell XPS M1730 and all is well. It picked up all the drivers needed other than the graphics card which but easily downloaded from Nvidia and also the Ageia Phyx card which isn't really needed. A word of warning re the Ageia Phyx card make sure you install it first BEFORE  the Nvidia drivers because the new phyx drivers which are now made by Nvidia doesn't pick up the card but will upgrade the drivers. I just used the Vista 64 bit drivers and they worked fine. Then install the Nvidia Video drivers and then do a windows update and it picks up the rest of the drivers if you plug it into an Ethernet cable.

The only problem I have had with the system is it going into sleep and sometimes not coming back out. The Vista 64 bit Quickset drivers do not work with Windows 7. So I found that the Dell Studio XPS quickset drivers work fine. So I can now press Fn key plus Esc to put into sleep. I don't use hibernate btw. I used the "Studio XPS Laptop   1640" quickset drivers which are WINDOWS 7 SPECIFIC both 32bit and 64bit and though they don't mention support for the M1730 they install and work at a basic level.

Here is a link to the driver page but these links do change so just use the above 1640 model under drivers and software in the support section. http://support.ap.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?os=W764&osl=EN&catid=-1&impid=-1&servicetag=&SystemID=STUDIOXPS16&hidos=WLH&hidlang=en&TabIndex=

I don't think we will be getting Windows 7 drivers as the unit is discontinued now from what I can see being nearly 3 years old but I can assure you all is working fine on both 32bit and 64bit drivers. The only reason I went 64 bit was I have 4gig of ram. Check first if you have printers or TV tuner cards that the drivers are listed under the Vista 64 bit section first before you go 64bit though the hardware for the computer itself has all windows 7 drivers from the install and the Windows update.

Good Luck

Spotts

1 Message

January 7th, 2010 10:00

Hi Spotts,

My name is Hal Dittmar. Your findings have solved a problem that I have had with my 1640 for quit a while. I could not eject a CD/DVD from my slot drive. The Dell technicians fooled around for 4 or 5 days replacing practically my entire computer to no avail. When I said I wanted another computer, they all of a sudden came up with your solution. Thanks for your efforts. Oh by the way, I can't find that driver under the 1640 64 bit drivers, but it was there yesterday.

Thanks again,

Haldittmar

October 13th, 2012 12:00

Just a quick note:

I have a XPS M1730 and upgraded to Windows 7 only to find out that Quickset is not soupported in windows 7!  Whan a bummer that was to learn I really liked the speaker lights and led.

OK but today I found a fix around all of that!  As you know if you have a M1730 it has duel hdd's so in my second hard drine bay I have Windows Vista and on drive 1 I have Windows 7.

So its really pretty easy just boot to the second hdd using f12 key after boot up go to Dell soupport drivers download and download Quickset.  Then download the Logitech LCD software. After its all loaded and finished turn the computer off and boot back up to Windows 7.

Now in windows 7 you wont see Quickset ...but click on computer , your second hdd , programs , Quickset...the changes you make here will carry over to the windows 7 side..turn on the lights and watch em work!

now for the LED software...same thing go to your second hdd , click dell , drivers , and scroll down till you see LCDslnst , thats the LCD installer click on that and it will install the LCD software on the windows 7 side ..hdd1 !  It was that easy even though I installed both with Windows Vista 32bit it still works great when switched over to Windows 7 64 bit.

Hope this helps most of you Have a Great Day !:emotion-1:

No Events found!