RiZUaN
1 Nickel

Re: Dell XPS Studio 1340 (Dell XPS 13) Nvidia Driver Problem.

No comment on BIOS A08. I've just installed it eventhough my chipset is B01 (from CPU-z software). Installed fine, and nothing difference with the previous BIOS A07.

0 Kudos
nardulli
1 Copper

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-alt:"Calisto MT"; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1107304683 0 0 159 0;} @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-alt:"Arial Rounded MT Bold"; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1073750139 0 0 159 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman","serif"; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; font-size:10.0pt; mso-ansi-font-size:10.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> I just bought two Studio XPS 1340 machines. One works perfectly. The other, Mine, will not wake up from sleep mode. I have tried everything I can think of - researched blogs, this site, updated the BIOS, all drivers, blah blah blah. Hours of time wasted and nothing works. I have had the machine two weeks. I tried the online chat feature on the Dell site, but received an error message that the warranty had expired. WHAT!? Two weeks? You can google the problem and realize that this is known issue. Shame on Dell for not dealing with it or even recognizing it. A laptop that won't wake from sleep mode is a major inconvenience.

0 Kudos
fab507
1 Copper

Same problem here: SLEEP function on Studio XPS 13 using BIOS A07 is causing problems. Ethernet controller won't wake leaving the hardline dead after sleep and nothing outside a reboot can fix it (tried logging out and in but that didn't do it). I'm running the latest NVIDIA driver from the Dell Support site - not sure I understand why NVIDIA is driving the ethernet controller, is it somehow combined with the GPU?? I tried finding other drivers (beta maybe) on the NVIDIA homepage but couldn't find anything under "nForce" which is what the Device Mgr shows as the ethernet controller.

Have been having less problems with the HDMI connection since I got the system but it's still not always recognizing the current state cleanly. For example, sound will stay on the notebook's speaker while picture shows on the connected tv (Sony XBR6). Unplugging HDMI and waiting a few seconds before reconnecting, sometimes in conjunction with closing IE (running Hulu) or the video player in questions, will usually resolve the problem but of course that's a workaround that shouldn't be necessary.

0 Kudos
RiZUaN
1 Nickel

Hi Fab and others,

I have the same problem with you, Fab. My ethernet couldn't recognize the connected LAN after wake up from sleep. I didn't notice this problem before because I don't like to put my laptop in sleep mode (in fact, any laptop that I have/will possess later). Just for sharing purpose, I don't install the Dell Quickset. Did you installed it ? If not, maybe the solution for the problem is by instaling that software.

And, sometimes, after log in to Windows, the same ethernet problem arise. I have to restart again my Windows to be able to use the ethernet. Did you face this problem?

I am still couldn't test my HDMI or display port because I don't have any device to connect to.

Thanks for your post.

0 Kudos
RiZUaN
1 Nickel

Guys,

Did you notice that Dell has removed A08 BIOS? The default BIOS that we can download from the website is A07. What's going on?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
nardulli
1 Copper

I installed AO8 and now it seems that my machine does not enter sleep mode at all.  (Interesting appraoch to a fix). Other than that, it seems not to have caused any issues.

0 Kudos
fab507
1 Copper

I do not have QuickSet installed but that shouldn't have any impact anyway, it's just a frontend to adjust settings - it doesn't actually add or take anything from the system.

Bios: I saw that A08 is available on torrents but A07 is the one posted on Dell's support site. So either A08 is still beta or they took it down, either means it's instable.

What does all this mean? I guess all we can do is wait for next BIOS version and updated NVIDIA drivers. I might consider a return to Dell given the system is fundamentally defunct and they can't seem to supply a fix.

0 Kudos

The problem exists from BIOS version A04 onwards. I have tried all versions till A08 but the problem remains. The QuickSet software is also of no consequence - the problem remains even if the software is installed.

The ethernet controller is part of the subsystem made by nVidia. The underlying chipset is MCP 79 from nVidia and as such, is supported by Dell directly rather than nVidia. So the drivers are also released only by Dell. (Thats why you couldn't find drivers on nVidia's website).

The problem arises because the ethernet controller is not correctly brought out of the sleep state once the notebook is powered up again.

Indeed its a very funny issue - and the fact that Dell hasn't released a fix even months after the launch of the notebook is indeed surprising. Is it that the Dell guys don't know that this problem exists?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

More than a month has passed and there is no reply to this question, no response from the Dell Tech support team whatsoever! Am I missing something here.. is a forum on the Dell website just supposed be a place where users can cry collectively and sympathise with each other? If there is a problem which no one seems to be able to solve.. then is it just that: a problem that no one can solve?

I would think this could have been a good opportunity for Dell to not only make good on their promise of delivering good products but actually take feedback to improve their design the next time they try to come with something new (and expensive). Alas!

So not only am I and many others are living with an annoying and fairly disruptive issue of not being able to access the network after putting the laptop to sleep during our daily routine, but we also end up rebooting it everytime. The last time I checked, Sleep did not equal Shut Down.

Further, I would like to state my recent experience when my Studio XPS 1340 refused to boot up on random occassions. The screen flashed and the thing started only when it felt like doing so. This went on for two days and I tried every possible way, including the power cycle action that Tech. Support recommended, to turn it on when I wanted it to but nothing happened.

Finally, I called the service engineer who couldn't make out anything on arrival. Hard luck. He didn't even get the spare part I requested - the screen protector rubber padding at the edge which has started to come loose, even though the Dell phone support took the request down. This is bad service. It's another matter that the Tech. Support refused to supply me with a new screen cover, as the existing one got scratched due to the faulty rubber pad, even though I have CompleteCover warranty on the laptop. This is deception!

Unfortunately, the combination of all these problems, Dell's deafness on this forum, the service engineer's complete lack of competence and their refusal to supply me the spare parts even though I bought CompleteCover insurance with the laptop is immensely frustrating.

0 Kudos

This is a huge problem to me and many others. Tech. Support has no answers. Dell is completely silent on this issue. The forums have no answers.

nVidia has no section on their website. Microsoft doesn't seem to know about it. What's going on? 

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19268687/19524424.aspx#19524424

0 Kudos