Highlighted
jnadaraj
2 Bronze

Dell XPS blank/black screen issue- diagnosis gives 3 beeps

I have a 3 year old XPS 13 (L321X) ultrabook that has a black/blank screen.  I hooked up the laptop to an external monitor via hdmi and it works fine. So it's the laptop screen that seems to be the problem.  I went through all the suggested troubleshooting from basic to advance. Holding the 'D' at start up, I hear 3 beeps.  If I can see the display on an external monitor, is it still a System board issue? Unfortunately, my warranty expired years ago, so trying to fix this the cheapest means possible.  Any help would be appreciated. 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

RE: Dell XPS blank/black screen issue- diagnosis gives 3 beeps

Hi,

Thank you for writing to us!

This could be an issue with the LCD or the LCD cable.Ideally it should not be the motherboard as the external monitor works,however we cant rule it out.

Kindly private message the service tag and email address so that we can check and help you further.

Thanks

Robin

DELL-Robin D
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
jnadaraj
2 Bronze

RE: Dell XPS blank/black screen issue- diagnosis gives 3 beeps

Hi Robin,

Please check your inbox for my Service tag.

I agree, it doesn't look like the motherboard is to be blamed in this case as I am able to connect to an external monitor just fine.  I took apart the back casing and didn't see any lose connections to the lcd.  Is it possible for the lcd it self to go bad? The laptop worked just fine last night so I am not sure what my next steps in troubleshooting would be.  Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos