Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

October 29th, 2016 13:00

Dell XPS heats up: How make fans kick in at lower temp + what's Dell Power manager "cool" setting (thermal management)?

I have a Dell XPS heating up quite alot.. is there a way to make the fans kick in at a lower temperature?

Also, in Dell's power manager > thermal management, I've set it to "cool" which could reduce performance and give more fan noise. 

I've set it to "cool" but  nothing seems to have changed, so what does that "cool" setting do precisely?

Thanks for all good feedback!

370 Posts

November 2nd, 2016 18:00

Hi Peter001,

I see that Robert gave you a suggestion on a cooling pad in a separate thread, but I also wanted to add some best practices for preventing overheating.

The following definitely make a difference:

1. Environment. Operating in a hot area will cause your system to overheat faster.

2. Surface use. A hard, flat surface is ideal because it allows for proper airflow.

3. Placing the system on a blanket, pillow, sofa cushion, your clothing/lap are not recommended and may cover up the vents, causing the system to overheat, pull in debris and could cause permanent damage.

Here are some additional tips from our support site

Here is a link to an article<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell> on Thermal Management.  The description for the Cool setting is "Cooling fan speed is raised to maintain a cooler system surface temperature. Your system may produce more noise and experience reduced performance." Also, make sure you are clicking Apply after you make any changes then close the Power Management Software.

Thank you for your post and hope all is well with your system!

17 Posts

November 2nd, 2016 18:00

Hi Amy,

Thanks for the reply but where is the "apply" button you refer to in the Power Manager software? After I select "cool" in thermal management there is no apply button to confirm this choice which is strange.

Also, what are normal, healthy idle and load temps for a Dell XPS 13 9350? I use CPUID HWMonitor to monitor temps.

Thanks again! :)

No Events found!