ranad2
1 Copper

RE: Dell XPS12 messed up during BIOS update

I dont know why I messed around with BIOS on my wife's PC, but I did.  Tried to update to BIOS A08

Now I have the exact same problem on this as the original poster.

Please do let me know if there is any way to recover this notebook, especially as it was working absolutely fine just 10 minutes ago.

Best

0 Kudos

Hi,

May I have the service tag of the system so that I can look into the details of the system. Kindly send this information via private message .

Kindest Regards,

Jennifer

#Iwork4Dell

DELL-Jennifer K
Social Media and Community Professional
#IWork4Dell
Manuals and Drivers

0 Kudos
itfsos
1 Nickel

I can not believe that there is no provision for an emergency procedure to reinstall or restore the BIOS in case of problems ..

0 Kudos

Hi ,

Here in this situation the system fails to POST hence we suspect the motherboard failure .Unfortunately that's the only way to fix this issue.I can arrange for a quotation to be sent for the motherboard or alternatively you can contact an external vendor for the motherboard replacement .

Awaiting your reply !

Kind Regards,

DELL-Jennifer K
#IWork4Dell
Manuals and Drivers

0 Kudos
9 Rhodium

It is sometimes possible to recover -- it depends on exactly where during the flash process the failure occurs.  If not enough data is left so that the system will at least start to POST, the recovery is possible only by having the BIOS chip removed and flashed externally (or by replacing the mainboard).

Since this system has a highly integrated mainboard - the CPU and RAM are both permanently mounted on the board - it will likely be less expensive to have the BIOS chip removed and flashed externally.  This procedure should cost about $150.  One highly regarded repair shop is aqstech.com.

0 Kudos
itfsos
1 Nickel

Well..Jennifer can you let me know how much the repair is...?

And ejn63 thanks, I will immediately search on that site!

The one thing I don't accept is that the problem happened to several users upgrading to A07 or A08 BIOS as a RECOMMENDED update by Dell( I can provide various links to other threads to prove this), so it isn't really my fault, and now I have to pay for a motherboard to resolve it. Sounds ridiculous.

0 Kudos
kirkd
5 Rhenium

Itfsos

It could easily be done. BIOS is stored in EEPROM or Flash memory. If using either, it could easily be recovered. Twenty years ago I trashed the BIOS/firmware for my computer controlled telescope, which was still under warranty. The free replacement now had the ability to recover from a bad burn. All it would take is a mini-pre-BIOS to control burning from a USB drive. I think this isn't done because some users would go in and do BIOS additions. They could also use a plug-in BIOS chip. You can get modified firmware chips for all most any car to allow functions not supported by the OEM. Most of these offer operational modifications to get better performance.

XPS M1530, Win 10 CU Pro 32-bit
Inspiron E1705, Win 10 CU Pro 32-bit
Dimension 9100, Win 10 AU Pro 32 bit
Inspiron 660, Win 10 CU 64 bit
Inspiron 3668, Win 10 CU 64 bit
Asus T100 Tablet, Windows 10 CU 32 bit

0 Kudos

Hi ,

I completely understand your situation .But then for me to confirm on the price I would ask you to confirm the address so that I can provide the actual price rather than giving you approximate price.

Hope to hear from you soon .

Kind Regards ,

DELL-Jennifer K
#IWork4Dell
Manuals and Drivers

0 Kudos
itfsos
1 Nickel

Hi ,

I completely understand your situation .But then for me to confirm on the price I would ask you to confirm the address so that I can provide the actual price rather than giving you approximate price.

Hope to hear from you soon .

Kind Regards ,

Sent you a private message.

0 Kudos
GreenRed
1 Nickel

Hello,

I took several precautions hoping to accomplish a BIOS update to A08 but unfortunately "bricked" my XPS 12.

Prior to installing, I reset the BIOS to defaults and charged the computer.  Windows was freshly booted and no applications we running.

During the BIOS update it hung at 28% with the fan at full speed exactly as described in a previous post by umbaman and kiwassa241 (en.community.dell.com/.../19620514).

After several hours Windows experienced a problem and the computer crashed (blue screen) with the BIOS last reported at 34% complete.  It tried to restart but never passed a blank screen (no indication of booting).  The fan remained at full speed and I eventually removed the AC adapter after a few hours to let the battery run out.  At this point, it does not seem to accept a charge and does not boot.

Has anyone been able to resolve this issue with Dell?

0 Kudos