Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 1st, 2016 20:00

Dell XPS13 Screen Issues

Hello!

I'm having problems with the monitor of my Dell XPS13 laptop. It's been behaving like this ever since I upgraded to Windows 10. I never thought much of it, as switching my laptop to sleep mode and turning it on again would usually fix it.

I'm not sure how to describe the issue I'm having with my laptop, but basically, sometimes when I try to turn on my laptop, 3/4 of the screen would be black. When this happens, I can't see much on my laptop screen. I would usually apply the method mentioned above to fix it, and it would work most of the time. If it didn't, I would force shutdown my laptop, and usually 1-2 would do the trick. (I tried not to perform force shutdowns though. It's only when the 'sleep mode' method doesn't work that I'd use it)

So today, when I turned on my laptop, the issue came back, and it's much worse than before. The same screen problem happened, but my method of fixing it just wouldn't work anymore... I tried force shutting down a few times (not much of a choice, as I can't see much on the screen) and turning my laptop back on, but the issue just wouldn't go away.

I don't really know how to go about fixing this, so I would really appreciste it if anyone here could help me resolve this issue. (I know force shutting down is bad, but I'm at my wit's end :( )

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 2nd, 2016 03:00

First thing to try is an external monitor - if it does the same thing, you have a bad video chip (mainboard).  If not, the display panel needs to be replaced.

2K Posts

June 2nd, 2016 04:00

Hi SUGARDONUTS,

What is the exact system model? Did the issue start immediately after upgrading to Win10? Do you happen to use the Auto / Manual sleep mode? Does the system shutdown / restart fine? 

Update the BIOS - http://dell.to/1n3X2po  - enter the service tag and download the BIOS, update and restart the machine and check.

As advised by ejn63, test the system with an external monitor.

Check for distortion in diags - Restart the system and press f12 key on startup - choose diagnostics. Let it run the diags and if you encounter any errors - make a note of the complete error and report the same to us.

Check for distortion in LCD test - Run the LCD bist - Turn off the system and press and hold the "D" key + power button to turn on the system and it should run the LCD built in self test - see this link for more info - http://dell.to/1SkXNrG 

Check for distortion in BIOS - Restart the system and press f2 key to enter BIOS - see if the distortion is seen in BIOS.

If the distortion is seen only in Windows, then reinstall the video drivers from the support site - restart and check.

If the system is under warranty, write me a private conversation with the service tag, your name, contact details and email address. If there is no warranty, If there is no warranty, then you could contact our team to get a quote for a paid service call - http://dell.to/1vnT6CQ

Keep us updated.

June 2nd, 2016 04:00

Update: My screen is almost back to normal. The black area is smaller; it can be found at the bottom and it flickers.

I actually tried going to Dell's website to try out the online diagnostic tests, but they did not detect any issues; My laptop passed all of the diagnostics tests.

No Events found!