Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 3rd, 2015 20:00

Dell Xps 13 (9343) Fan responds to cpu usage?

I just received my Dell xps 13 Non-Touch i5-5200 8gb Ram model. I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same. It seems that the fan responds to cpu usage and not core temp. I am here using Chrome with one tab open and the fan is running at medium-high speed. Most times I will just be turning on my laptop open up the browser(and nothing else) and the fan is going at high speeds. Is this normal?

2K Posts

April 4th, 2015 11:00

Hi Irissnare,

The fan is designed to work when there is more load on the CPU and heat being generated.
Make sure there is sufficient space for the air-vents for exhaustion. Does the system get hot when you use it? Is the fan excessively noisy? Also could you try updating the BIOS from the link -  http://dell.to/1kGWIcI

You will have to enter the service tag and submit -> go to drivers and downloads -> update BIOS.

Keep us updated.

Thanks and Regards,

Rishi

#iworkfordell

2K Posts

April 5th, 2015 12:00

Hi Irissnare,

Firstly, I would like to confirm if the hardware is fine. So, when you restart the system, keep tapping on f12 key and it would initiate diagnostics. When it gets to the notebook panel test - the system will ask you a question - "were color bars displayed?". At this point, DO NOT answer the question. It will start beeping and a musical chime would follow. If you hear this, then the hardware is fine. The issue could be driver related. In which case, you could go to control panel -> programs and features and check if the realtek audio is installed. If yes, then uninstall the same and restart the system.

Download the audio driver again, install it and restart the system and check. If you are still unable to get audio (considering a software issue) - then send me a private message with your name and service tag of the system and I shall advise you further course of action.

Either way, do keep us updated.

Thanks and Regards,

Rishi

4 Posts

April 5th, 2015 12:00

Thank you for your reply. I updated the BIOS and it seemed to fix my issue with fan always running. But now a new issue has come up. The computer now shows "No Audio Output Device is installed". When trying to fix the issue through Troubleshoot and it says "Troubleshooting couldn't identify the problem". Drivers seem to be uninstalled.

I did try downloading the audio driver from the link you provided me and installing it but it was unsuccessful.

Is there anything else i can do?

4 Posts

April 5th, 2015 13:00

Hi Rishi,

I went through with the diagnostics and it made the beeping and chime. After the reboot, I uninstalled the realtek audio and did another reboot. I then tried again to install the driver from the link but it still was unsuccessful. I went ahead and looked at other drivers on the dell website and found a Realtek I2S Codec driver and gave that a shot. It successfully installed and I now have audio. I think I will just leave it as is.

Thank you very much for your help. Right now my xps seems to be clear with all problems and I'm able to experience its greatness. 

2K Posts

April 5th, 2015 13:00

Irissnare,

Thank you for the update.

I am glad you have managed to fix the issue. As for the XPS 13, it is one of the best systems that Dell has launched. Check the following links for the review - http://bit.ly/1az37Jd and http://bit.ly/1GdLwlF

Thanks and Regards,

Rishi

No Events found!