Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

April 9th, 2015 18:00

Dell e6420 no longer working. When turned on screen flickers then blank, hard drive light only flickers then stops, any help would be great.

I have a problem with my dell E6420,  This morning, after leaving the computer in standby mode, I came back to the computer that would not come back into operation. After turning it off and trying to restart it, it shows there is power to the system, but the hard drive doesn't work (the hard drive light flickers just few times after I hit the power button, then goes dark). The power source is working fine. The screen flickers on time when turning on and also when turning off.

It does not seem to load to Windows with the screen not working as when I touch the power button it instantly turns off.   I do not need to hold it to force a shutdown like when Windows is running.

I've tried rebooting and hitting F2 or F10 multiple times to try to get into BIOS and reset the boot order so I could use a recovery CD, but I can't even get into BIOS. Literally nothing ever comes up on the monitor.

I tired unplugging the battery for 30 seconds then plugging in the ac power waiting 30 seconds and loafing to diagnostics.   Hitting power and fn.   This loads with a black screen but makes some noises repeatedly.   I will upload a video.

Do you have any advice to get it into operation again?

8 Posts

Turning on laptop.:

8 Posts

Running diagnostics:

April 9th, 2015 20:00

Hello, 

Please remove RAM and HDD and switch on the machine. Observe if the machine stays on.

Put back the components and then check on an external monitor if you get a display. If "yes" try running diagnostics.

If nothing displays on screen, Shut down the system hold down the fn button and switch on the machine. After 3 seconds let go the fn. Wait for 10 minutes and check if you get any display on laptop.

Regeards

April 10th, 2015 23:00

Hi, 

Have you tried thee steps as suggested.

Any update.

Regards

No Events found!