Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 1st, 2012 22:00

Dell inspiron 1545 on startup - Hard drive not found, try to reseat it

My hard drive turned bad few days back and i now purchased a new WD3200BPVT 320 GB internal hard drive for my system. I installed it myself after reading all instructions and guidelines. But when i start it, system says, hard drive not found, try to reseat it. I have also reset it, but again same error coming. I dont know whats gone wrong with the hard drive or system..?

3.3K Posts

October 15th, 2012 06:00

Hi ALWms,

If the hard drive is not detected, I recommend reseating the hard drive and then running the diagnostics on the computer.

If the diagnostics gives the same hard drive not detected error we can go ahead and replace the hard drive.

Please let me know if you have any other queries.

1 Message

April 6th, 2013 02:00

Another possible cause is the incorrect reseating of the hard drive. The newer hard drives are much thinner than the originals provided with the Inspiron, and can move in the cradle when inserted into the laptop if inserted with the laptop upside down. The drive slides under the seating, and you do not have a connection even though you may think that you do. Make sure the laptop is the correct way up (not upside down) when inserting the new hard drive, and that you feel some resistance as the seating connection is made.

Colin101

1 Message

November 14th, 2014 14:00

Had the same problem. Tried all the things you tried. Was really getting frustrated.

Check the sized of your new hard drive and compare it to the one you are replacing, specifically the thickness. You will probably find like I did that the new one is thinner than the original. This is creating a problem with the contacts so the computer is telling you there is no hard drive.

What I did was create a cardboard shim to make up the difference in space. This pushes down on the new hard drive so the contacts stay connected. Worked like a champ and solved my problem. Cost $0.00 because I used a thick cardboard postcard from the mail that I folded in half and cut down to size.  

Good luck!

3.8K Posts

August 1st, 2012 23:00

Hi,

Welcome to the Community. It could be an issue with the hdd connectors on your motherboard. Was the hard drive replaced by Dell?

Thank you

3 Posts

August 2nd, 2012 00:00

no sir, it was not replaced by dell...i bought it from outside mkt...please help

is there anything wrong with hard drive or connectors???

3.8K Posts

August 2nd, 2012 00:00

Hi,

The cheaper option would be to try another hard drive, if it still does not get detected then its the hdd connectors on the motherboard, and the motherboard needs to be replaced.

Thank you.

October 8th, 2012 12:00

What was the outcome for rohanbajaj's problem?  Did he have to replace the motherboard and did that resolve the problem?

3.3K Posts

October 9th, 2012 02:00

Hi mickeydee42,

Do you face the same issue with the computer?

Try running diagnostics on the computer just to make sure it’s not a hardware issue (Turn off the computer and then hold down the FN key and the power button and please check if you get any error messages).

If you have active warranty, you can contact me directly by clicking on my user name, add me as your friend, and send me the system service tag, phone # with address.

Warranty status: http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/19/Index?c=us&s=dhs&cs=19&l=en&t=warranty

Awaiting your response!

3 Posts

October 9th, 2012 02:00

friends, it was problem with motherboard...got it repaired and it works fine now

October 10th, 2012 12:00

Hello Rajesh - I held down the Fn key and powered up and it went into hardware diagnostics.  It listed the HD test as "running" and continued to list the other tests for CDROM, video, etc. so the HD test rolled off the screen and I don't know what that result was.  The tests ran to completion and I was prompted to reboot.  When I did, I got the message that it could not find a hard drive.  There was an option F2 to run diagnostics and I did that,  It looked like the same diagnostics but when it got to the HD test it said no drive detected.  I've had a problem for several weeks where the system was very slow and getting slower.  Does that indicate to you a failing disk drive or a failing connection with the motherboard?  Which one?  The warranty expired last year, so I'm faced with paying to fix this.  I don't want to pay a $50 service charge to tell me what the problem is, especially if it is a bad disk drive -- I could spend the $50 buying a new drive instead.  But I don't know if it is the drive or if it is the motherboard.  What do you advise?

3.3K Posts

October 11th, 2012 08:00

Hi mickeydee42,

If you are comfortable reseating hard drive, I have provided link below which would help you in reseating the hard drive.

Ensure that the computer is turned off. If your computer did not automatically turn off when you shut down the operating system, press and hold the power button until the computer turns off.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/my_systems_info/manuals?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=mn&SystemID=INSPIRON1545

From the above link kindly select the appropriate system model and click on “Get manual”.

After reseating the hard drive try to turn on the computer. If the same issue persists, run diagnostics now.

Kindly let me know if the system model is not correct one. I can help you with the correct manual for the hard drive.

Let me know the status.

Awaiting your response!

1 Message

October 13th, 2012 16:00

What if you run diagnostics and the only thing you learn is that there is no hard drive detected although the hard drive is in the laptop?

2 Posts

October 26th, 2012 10:00

Hello,

I have been reading all problems and answers in Google and I have the same hard drive not detected.

I did see an answer that I am going to try, the hard drive was not the problem it was the motherboard  and they

replaced and fixed the problem. Does that make sense? I have been going "NUTS" trying everything  I could think of and

no luck and really do not want to buy a hard drive to get the same results.

I hope that helps and does it make sense.

JSC

1 Message

November 19th, 2013 17:00

Dear Mr. Rajesh,

I am having same problem with my dell inspiron 3520. when i did diagnostics everything passes except the harddisk shows NA. I checked the waranty on the laptop it expiring on may 2014. My LAPTOP service tag <ADMIN NOTE: Service tag removed per privacy policy>.

please help.

Tausif

1 Message

July 5th, 2015 16:00

My hard drive failed (was making noise), and after putting in a new hard drive, still basically got the same error messages on startup.  It wasn't until I read this post about having the computer right-side up when inserting the hard drive that I indeed got the proper connection and an error message that there was no boot sector (which I know - it's a new drive). But at least the computer now recognizes I have a 320GB drive installed.  Now just have to get everything re-installed.

No Events found!