Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 24th, 2014 09:00

Dell inspiron 1545 w7 blue screen only, lost all icons....only arrow appears

Hello All, new (frustrated) member,

Computers diagnostics are not my acumen for sure so here goes:

The above's hard drive card? fell out of the slot. I believe this is what it's called. It's located on the left side of the computer (looking at it from frt) on the same side as the charger port is located. The screws evidently backed out and it fell on the floor, thank fully the floor is carpeted. "Appears" not to be damaged....I went to re-install it got a repair or start screen, tried repair prompt and again got a plain blue W7 screen. Pressed F8 key and ran in Safe Mode, Command Prompt....it seemed to "load" the driver??? Still nothing but a W7 blue screen w/ mouse arrow. Doing a pre boot assessment build 4118 and received an error message 2000-0146....everything else has passed.

Any ideas what's going on?

JEFF

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

The drive should be secured with screws - if they're missing, be sure you replace them when you replace drive.  Any standard 2.5" 9.5 mm or slimmer SATA notebook drive will work.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

Unplug the system, remove the battery and hold the power button for 30 seconds.  Plug back in and re-run the diagnostics - if you see the error a second time, the drive is toast and will need to be replaced.

5 Posts

Thank you for your quick reply EJN63,

OK, did it and it came back w/ the same error code. Everything else is OK/passed...

So what happened when the drive fell out....it got damaged  heaven knows what happened as my son was using it and said the driver fell out?

Any ideas on a good replacement? It's my 9 yr old sons computer he plays Roblox and Minecraft occasionally on it.

Big thanks!

JCM61

5 Posts

August 24th, 2014 16:00

OK,

I found a few screws that have loosened up in the base...no idea why these two fell out...it happens.

Thank for the info, I appreciate it...!

JCM

No Events found!